Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Light Bar installed, now speedo not working  (Read 1777 times)

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
Light Bar installed, now speedo not working
« on: February 13, 2013, 10:36:57 AM »

I installed a light bar on my 07 1300.  Now the speedo, odometer, neutral light, and radio aren't working.  All of this is hooked up to come on when the key is turned.  I'm gonna wire the light bar into the high beams this evening but has anyone else had this problem?  Fuses are all good, no lose connections, no cut wires.

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
Re: Light Bar installed, now speedo not working
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 10:51:00 AM »

Guessing I needed to install a relay.  Anybody able to tell me how to wire it right so I don't have problems down the road?

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 01:31:32 PM »

I installed a light bar on my 07 1300.  Now the speedo, odometer, neutral light, and radio aren't working.  All of this is hooked up to come on when the key is turned.  I'm gonna wire the light bar into the high beams this evening but has anyone else had this problem?  Fuses are all good, no lose connections, no cut wires.

ShaneM, any reason for going with the High Beams?

I have mine setup with a relay direct to the + Battery terminal using an in-line spade fuse, the relay is wired using the Low Beam headlamp wire to trigger the relay that way when you hit the starter button it will shut down the light bar and headlights and not throw a major load on your starter button.

This way you will always get a full battory blast to the starter and not have any problems later with shorting the starter button or the starter relay.

Regards

:couch:

AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 01:33:22 PM »

There is a blue and white wire coming form your starter switch circuit. Use that for the relay trigger.
02 1800C

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 01:52:02 PM »

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 06:42:54 PM »

The owner before me installed a radio.  Pretty sure I've got more wiring issues than I'd anticipated....

seefriedm

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 07:22:03 PM »

Shane,
To bad your so far from Dallas, I'd help ya figure it out as I've installed a radio, power amp and lights on a couple of bikes...seems one of the two the connectors at the front of the tank on the right side by the neck might not be seated all the way on. There is also in the headlight bezel at the very back the ground. That had to be removed when you added the additional ground wire (if the light bar is hondaline) There is the 3 prong connector one ground, 12volt with the switch on, 3rd is the override for the high beams (center wire) if you leave it connected when you flip the high beam light the outside lights go off the save the drain on the alternator, cut the wire and the lights stay on for both low and high beams.

Mark
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:27:00 PM by seefriedm »

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:05:52 PM »

I found the culprit.  Wasn't grounded properly and kept blowing fuses.  I found some fuses at autozone that have an led light on them that will tell you which one popped.  Man that is handy as hell.  I appreciate all yall helping out.

seefriedm

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »

I found the culprit.  Wasn't grounded properly and kept blowing fuses.  I found some fuses at autozone that have an led light on them that will tell you which one popped.  Man that is handy as hell.  I appreciate all yall helping out.
Glad to hear you got your scoot back on the road.

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2013, 01:05:37 PM »

Somethings screwed up.  I'm getting no power at all now.  Horn won't even work.  It's not fuses, not the battery, and all the connections are good....  I sure messed something up.

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2013, 01:08:35 PM »

If there's anybody close to abilene that can help me figure this out I'll pay you for your trouble.  325-665-9663

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 08:07:48 AM »

Nevermind the main fuse had blown.  All is good.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2013, 09:27:08 AM »

That's good news  :congrats: on getting her going again.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

ShaneM

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 12:28:58 PM »

No I need another sissy bar.  The bolt brackets for the back rest are broke off this one.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal