Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: My new build Thread  (Read 4165 times)

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
My new build Thread
« on: October 30, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »

I know most here don't give a rat's arse about Harley-Davidson's, but I do.  As most of you know, I can't leave "Well enough" alone, I love to customize and work on my bikes.  So last year my project was my 1978 Suzuki GS550 which some of you got to see at the Lone Star Rally Roundup at LSR.  While I won't be entering my hog in the rally roundup, it might be entered next year.  

Anyways, Here are some photos. See newest post on some photos.

Stock when I bought it.  Most have seen this photo.

Not much long after, I installed some 12" Mini Apes.  I ran all cables thru the bars, which while it wasn't a pain in the arse it was time consuming.  But first time around and all in all it took about 4 1/2 hrs of actual labor time.  I did have to remove the front outer faring as i had to disconnect all the wiring.  also ran my mirrors down low to keep a more profile look and to avoid the insect antenna look.

also, I installed a Corbin Classic Solo that i also purchased a passenger pillion.  Much more comfortable than stock (as most all bikes) and looks way better.  Have noticed it doesn't suck in water like the Ultimate X seats when it rains.  So that is a good thing

installed some exhaust slip-ons from RC components.  YOu know those guys for making really cool billet wheels.  Well, they make exhaust that sound real good and pretty badarse billet tips.  For some reason this is the best pick i have showing them.  was on my Rio Grande Valley trip.  

I knew from the get-go that I wanted me some stretched saddlebags so I got on the ball and started my project on that.  

Bags came in dirty as snot and needed some prep work so I got started on it.  They also came in with lids, so that was a plus.

Did a little prep work and a portable home made paint booth.

Also picked a new extended rear fascia to match the length of the new stretched bags.  preped it and primed it.

Preped lids

SO I got the bags all painted up.  Did it myself as I usually try to.  I used a paint called John Deere Blitz Black that is pretty much almost identical by about 98%.  Hell if you see a difference it's not because of the color, but because of the finish, but it's pretty damn close and probably as close as anyone else will get.  Now I still need to have the red pinstripes painted on, but the guy who did my bobber will be doing this bike as well.  I want those pinstripes to be perfect and this guy has been doing this for close to 30 years.  I'm pretty sure he will knock it out easily  

As I get more done, I'll post up my workings.  
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 04:11:41 PM by matap »
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: My new build Thread
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 03:51:55 PM »

Mexicans and Cajuns just can't leave well enough alone  :t :t :stickpoke:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

matap

• Board
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 03:59:22 PM »

Your damn straight!!!  ;D

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 05:41:39 PM »

Looking good Paul hope to be completely finished with mine trying to juggle time between work and seeing the wife does not leave much time.
Alvin,Texas

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 07:11:56 PM »

LOOKING GOOD PAUL!!  :thumbup:
Just be easy on those corners!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Xulli

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 07:38:50 AM »

good job bro... looking forward to ride with ya this weekend
Isaac M.
2012 Blue Imp.  victory XC
Galveston, Texas

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2012, 05:25:51 PM »

I love it.................Looking Good.

Black is the Fastest color no matter what brand.

I am always telling people this and I mean it.

" If I had my Rathers, I rather have a Harley Davidson but I could only afford the H so I bought a Honda" But if i ever could I would.

Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2012, 05:28:11 PM »

Mexicans and Cajuns just can't leave well enough alone  :t :t :stickpoke:

Same goes for them there Chinawoman.............. :t
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

DEMON

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2012, 08:16:22 AM »

:notworthy:

looks bad Cranberries...  I need to get Ron's bike painted, could you get the the paint info?   I know that he wants the same color you have.

matap

• Board
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 09:46:52 PM »

Believe it or not, that paint is a single stage paint from John Deere called Blitz Black.  But if he wants the harley denim, I can get those codes as well. 

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 10:21:35 PM »

Talked to a guy at the rally that had what looked like a copper plated bike, but it turned out to be paint  :ohwow: :ohwow:
Not that I would ever want that, but it was really impressive job.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hogcowboy

• Tejano
  • 2116 Indian Roadmaster (now triked)
    • Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2012, 05:39:20 AM »

So had you already removed the cat before you added the slip-on's? Or are you not going to do any engine mods?
Do everything as if your life depends on it. IT COULD! Patriot Guard/American Legion Rider

matap

• Board
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2012, 09:01:53 AM »

So had you already removed the cat before you added the slip-on's? Or are you not going to do any engine mods?

I actually had the slip-ons first, then about a month later i gutted the cats, welded back up and.  gained a little more sound and cooled it off significantly.  I won't be doing any major work until the warranty has expired and then I'll probably go with some cams and the sort, this way they'll add the warranty back on.  I will be getting an air cleaner soon though with some kind of fuel managment.  ;D

hogcowboy

• Tejano
  • 2116 Indian Roadmaster (now triked)
    • Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2012, 09:12:36 AM »

Good luck with fuel management. That's where I am right now. Don't know if the previous owner never had anything or just took it with him but it looks like I need something. Pipes turning yellow all the way back to the muffler on the right side. The pros and cons on all the devices are over whelming. I'm lean toward a Power Vision though. You'll find all kinds of when you get into cams and the like. You're lookin good so far. :bikerider:
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 03:59:11 AM by hogcowboy »
Do everything as if your life depends on it. IT COULD! Patriot Guard/American Legion Rider

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2012, 10:46:40 PM »

Looks good!  But it still looks like all the other SGs rollin' around out there.   :stickpoke:   :t
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal