Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What's that rubbing?  (Read 1194 times)

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
What's that rubbing?
« on: September 24, 2012, 11:15:41 AM »

Hey gang,

got a question concerning an issue I think I have with the front wheel of my Kawasaki Vulcan. While riding, when leaning through a left hand curve in the road I get a sense I'm hearing something rubbing. And a feeling that something feels different that when I'm riding straight up. Or even leaning into a right hand curve.

It's only going through left hand curve and it's a minro change in the sound and feel coming from the front of the bike. I want to say it's a bad set of bearings on the top (right) side??

But I'm open to other possibilities?? I'm looking at buying new bearings for both sides.

Any thoughts or experience with this on any bike?

Thanks

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
Re: What's that rubbing?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 12:37:50 PM »

My experience has always been...Front tire is scalloped on the left side; my X and Wing feel as though its grinding and I can hear the tire whine!!
I only feel and hear it when banking to the left.  My Wing is doing it now and need to change the front tire.

Not to say that its not something else, but check the left side of the front tire first, just a little bit of scallop can cause that feeling.
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 01:36:41 PM »

On my road glide, now with about 8500 miles on it, I don't feel anything but I can hear it when banking to the left side.  I read somewhere as well, that it could be scalloping or the other term...cupping.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 05:11:46 PM »

Thanks for the response guys. I've got new tires on the way. I had intended to get them replaced anyway before making the trek from Boston to Houston in a couple weeks. The tires are okay with 8000 miles on them but they are 10 years old! I bought the bike with 5000 original miles, AND tires. Put 3000 on them during my time up here in Boston. So I will see if the new tires make a difference before I try changing out he bearings.

Damn the places up here want $80 for each new tire mounted and balanced!

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 07:06:30 PM »

10 year old tires....  :ohwow: (this comming from the guy who runs his rear tires till cords showing.... :couch:)

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

If you can take them off, then go to a small shop and have them done...I have a place in Austin that does mine if off the bike for $12 a tire, not balanced...I use beads on the X and wheel balancers on the Wing.
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal