Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Diagnosis help:loss of power at high RPM  (Read 1423 times)

cruisinsounds

• Trailer Queen
  • Keep it hot so you don't choke.
Diagnosis help:loss of power at high RPM
« on: September 06, 2012, 08:18:27 PM »

Thanks for helping in advance gentlemen.
So recently(read last 2000mls) I have noticed my 08 1300R has been losing power in the higher RPM range. I'll drop a scenario on you: I am cruising at 70 in higher RPM and push the gas extra hard to pass a slowbutt, the engine immediately revs to it's destination RPM, but there is no pull on the bike really, just a slow steady increase in speed. Any ideas what could be spinning or slipping so I don't have to let the stealer spend my $ lookin for the issue? Recent work on the Bike: Oil change(10w40 full synthetic 4t oil), coolant dump and fill, new front tire, new Final Drive Oil(full synthetic Peak 75w90)->changed this oil twice because I was worried I had added too much and the over-pressue valve was stuck. I am lost and my cager-mechanic is too. Thanks!

Railroader

• Old Timer
  • ORANGE is the fastest color!
Re: Diagnosis help:loss of power at high RPM
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 09:10:51 PM »

Sounds like your clutch is slipping.

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2012, 04:41:01 AM »

The oil you put in is a type of oil that you have used before in this bike?

I am thinking the energy saving (or something like that ) is not to be used, and will cause clutch slipping.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2012, 06:04:15 AM »

I am thinking the energy saving (or something like that ) is not to be used, and will cause clutch slipping.

:agree: Check the type of oil make sure it is not energy saving.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2012, 07:35:10 AM »

:agree: Check the type of oil make sure it is not energy saving.

The correct API & SAE terminology is "Energy Conserving" oil.
Oils labeled as such have friction modifiers that are quick death to wet plate type clutchs.  They also are of such thin viscosity weights (examples such as  0W30), they are not good choices for the transmissions in bikes.  Although thinner weight oils do work better than thicker oils, because they help a wet clutch hook up better, the friction modifiers of "Energy Conserving" oil dectates we not use them in our bikes.

Test the clutch by running in 4th and dragging the rear brake fairly hard while rolling the throttle up to WOT. If the clutch is slipping...........that test will show it.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

cruisinsounds

• Trailer Queen
  • Keep it hot so you don't choke.
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:18:56 AM »

Sorry it took so long to reply, not it's not an "Energy Conserving" oil. It's Mobil 1 Racing 4t 10w40. I don't doubt it's the clutch at all, it has slipped before trying to roll out of stop-lights, scares the begeezus outta me.So, next question is what's the best choice for a replacement on the 1300? and do I have to drain all the oil to do it? I'm pretty sure I can do the install myself, just don't know which kit is the best. Thanks again

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal