Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Handling issues  (Read 2846 times)

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Handling issues
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »

I did this and bike rides much better not as bouncy also moved the rear shocks to #3 setting bike feels like its planted more stable in the turns and on long sweepers. I am going to change Fluid and install Progressive Springs on Sunday see how that works on Monday when I ride to work.

"For starters, try getting your tire pressures back more toward book spec of 33 psi front 36 psi rear "

I will also check the fork length thin we talked about.

That's great.
As we discussed................
Going up on the rear shock preload will raise the rear end which helps the bike "turn in" easier and helps it finish a turn once it's on line through a turn.  Lowering the front has the same effect and to a greater degree, unfortunatley you can't lower front forks very much (only abouy 5mm) due to their design because of how they mount in the clamps.  That's why I asked Suspension Technologies to make their shocks  1/2"  longer for me because I wanted the bike to steer quicker.  You can raise the tubes in the clamps as much as you can and it will help.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:38:53 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2012, 08:02:01 AM »

Glad to hear you went down and tried 34 psi on the front. I suggest you experiment further and go down to 32 or even 30 just to see how the bike reacts and to learn feedback from the bike,(even though 33-34 psi is more conducive to your payload weight and it's where I'd be running the tire if I were you). Pressures of 30-32 are not going to hurt the tire, although as pressure drops, temperatures WILL rise.  It will start handling poorly long before temps become a problem.  As pressure drops the bike will steer slower and the tire will begin to roll and squirm to an unacceptable level in the turns and under hard braking.  You don't need to be going fast to do your testing.  I use a big dry asphalt parking lot and perform quick hard swerving maneuvers at 20-40 mph.  Just make sure there's no asphalt rock debris to slip on in the parking lot.  
As pressure is reduced, at some point you'll know you don't like it.  That's when you start going back up until you get the best combination of handling and braking foot print from the tire.  That lowest point for me with the Avons was 30 psi. I've settled on 33 psi.  Lowering the tire pressures WILL make the bike handle a little slower but the many benefits definitely offset that minor negative.  Once you get the forks sprung stiffer, you will regain most of the steering quickness and it will handle quicker than with the OEM springs.  At speed, the bike will feel 50-100 lighter than it actually is.  The same goes for the rear end if you change the shocks, but to a lesser degree than when you stiffen the front.  
Raising the rear end 1/2" make a huge difference.  The bike really responds faster to a steering input as the rear end is progressivly raised.  This REALLY makes the bike feel lighter and I love the way mine handles with the added 1/2".
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 08:12:05 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2012, 07:23:11 AM »

Last Sunday Chad came by and helped with the progressive spring install ( I have left the rear shocks set at 3 for now) been busy all week not able to ride till today its about a 35 mile ride to work a couple things I notice.

1. I don't have the bouncy feeling anymore going straight.

2. Bike feels more stable in curves I don't have that feeling like the bike is going to come out from under me in a curve.

3. I have the front tire at 34PSI and the rear at 38PSI I think this is good for the way I ride. I read the side walls of tires Dunlop E3's front says follow MFG recommendation rear says Max is 41PSI  Ill keep an eye on my tire wear and see what happens.

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 11:46:50 AM »

seen the rear bearing start to wear and will also cause same trouble
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels
Pages: 1 [2]

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal