Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MPG issues.  (Read 3486 times)

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: MPG issues.
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 07:32:20 PM »

Hey Guys I am having an issue with my gas mileage. Well before I hear it from everyone. I did my test on my mileage on the hwy at just a little over the speed limit around 75-80mph. No hard fast starts no hard WOT getting to speed. Just normal "normal person" riding. I am getting an average of 25mpg. Now I just don't understand why. That's what I was getting riding how I like to. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Change spark plugs!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2012, 10:31:34 AM »

Change spark plugs!

I don't think his plugs are the root of his problem.  He states his bike is running fine.  

His plugs would have to look worse than these and be running noticiable bad before mileage was noticably affected.
These came out of my bike and I was getting the same mileage I'd always gotten and was running fine up until it started to miss under heavy throttle.  I pulled them and this is what they looked like.  They were the original plugs and had 30902 miles on them.  Personally I can't beleive the bike was running so well, or even running at all when I pulled them and saw how fouled they were.
The top plug was a deep socket location and was the worst fouled plug of the four.
The lower pic was a shallow socket location and was the least fouled plug of the four.
All plugs still would spark.  I fiqure the miss finally came about due to large amount of "flame/spark shadowing" due to the heavy build up blocking the spark.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:18:01 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 02:56:27 PM »

Change spark plugs!

I don't think his plugs are the root of his problem.  He states his bike is running fine.  

His plugs would have to look worse than these and be running noticiable bad before mileage was noticably affected.
These came out of my bike and I was getting the same mileage I'd always gotten and was running fine up until it started to miss under heavy throttle.  I pulled them and this is what they looked like.  They were the original plugs and had 30902 miles on them.  Personally I can't beleive the bike was running so well, or even running at all when I pulled them and saw how fouled they were.
The top plug was a deep socket location and was the worst fouled plug of the four.
The lower pic was a shallow socket location and was the least fouled plug of the four.

Your fine and another persons fine is differnt.  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

VTXER

• Rider
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 04:08:40 PM »

You tell him Elvis!  :agree:  :c

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 06:29:23 PM »

Change spark plugs!

Your fine and another persons fine is differnt.  ;D

When considered from a subjective point of view and if you are splitting word definition hairs so to speak...........you could be right.

But maybe you missed the OPs post where he states.......................
"It runs great. No lag, fast off the line and wile rolling on the throttle."
Those are his words not mine.  While he used the word "great", I'd call that running "fine or normal".  Would you not?
I'm going to give the OP the benifit of the doubt that he's smart enough to know if his bike is running normal as it should be.  I interpreted his response as " It runs great" as he 's not experiencing any performance issues.  It's running fine.
Mine was running "great" or "fine" or "normal" the entire time the plugs were heavily fouled for 30K+ miles before it finally started to miss and my mileage never dropped off in the least.

If your bike is running "fine" or "great" (however you want to describe it) your plugs are not causing a fuel mileage issue.  Once the flame front is ignited their job is done.   Plugs problems manifest themselves in one or two ways most of the time.  They will be the cause of ignition mis-fire or causing detonation (due the wrong heat range).  Both will produce noticiable performance issues.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 09:14:38 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

VTXER

• Rider
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 06:39:20 PM »

Change spark plugs!

Your fine and another persons fine is differnt.  ;D

Maybe you missed the OPs post where he states.......................
"It runs great. No lag, fast off the line and wile rolling on the throttle."
Those are his words not mine.  While he used the word "great", I'd call that running "fine".  Would you not?
Mine was running "great" or "fine" the entire time the plugs were heavily fouled for 30K+ miles before it started to miss and my mileage never dropped off in the least.

If your bike is running "fine" or "great" (however you want to describe it) your plugs are not causing a fuel mileage issue.

That was his opinion, like yours, just an opinion. Why are you getting your feathers ruffled about an opinion?

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »

That was his opinion, like yours, just an opinion. Why are you getting your feathers ruffled about an opinion?

My feathers are not ruffeled nor am I trying ruffel anyone elses.  
Why are you assuming that?
Has anyone used caps while discussing this topic?

I'm just pointing out that:
- The OP states his bike runs great.  Which means it's running fine, no problems, or what ever terms or word(s) you want to use to describe it.    
- And if it's running in any of the above conditions as decribed above, it can't be spark plugs.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 06:58:03 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1