Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: MPG issues.  (Read 3487 times)

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
MPG issues.
« on: June 08, 2012, 12:10:05 AM »

Hey Guys I am having an issue with my gas mileage. Well before I hear it from everyone. I did my test on my mileage on the hwy at just a little over the speed limit around 75-80mph. No hard fast starts no hard WOT getting to speed. Just normal "normal person" riding. I am getting an average of 25mpg. Now I just don't understand why. That's what I was getting riding how I like to. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
Re: MPG issues.
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:36:02 AM »

Hey Guys I am having an issue with my gas mileage. Well before I hear it from everyone. I did my test on my mileage on the hwy at just a little over the speed limit around 75-80mph. No hard fast starts no hard WOT getting to speed. Just normal "normal person" riding. I am getting an average of 25mpg. Now I just don't understand why. That's what I was getting riding how I like to. Any Ideas?

Thanks
Do a compression test.  :popcorn:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 07:24:05 AM »

Thanks

How about giving us the basics first.  We can't offer any meaningful suggestions unless we have that. 

What are you riding?
How many miles on it?
What engine and air mods have you done?
When did the fuel mileage start getting bad?  All of a sudden or over some time?
How's the bike running form a performance stand point? 
What spark plugs are you using and when was the last time they were changed?
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:07 PM »

Thanks

Compression test? really would I feel a power loss if I had low compression?

It runs great. No lag, fast off the line and wile rolling on the throttle.

I have a power commander
K&N big air cleaner.
Cobra speedster short pipes.
been a little wile on plugs but no power loss.
I have never been nice to this bike so i couldn't tell you when the mileage dropped.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

RedDragon

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 02:41:46 PM »

Thanks

You would be surprised how well this bike will run with low compression. Gabe ran his bike up to Johnny Cheese's with compression low on one cylinder and it ran great, only the fuel light came on around 85. Just throwing it out there because I know that it could cause the mpg problem and it is very easy to test and eliminate this as a reason if you have the gauge.

2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

RedDragon

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 03:02:51 PM »

Thanks

I have never been nice to this bike so i couldn't tell you when the mileage dropped.
So if you have never been nice to this bike, did it ever do any better than 25 mpg?  :stickpoke:

Has it been mapped by anyone?

2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »

Bypass the PCIII.
Chunk the llama.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:11:42 PM »

Thanks
Do a compression test.  :popcorn:

I have a power commander
K&N big air cleaner.
Cobra speedster short pipes.
been a little wile on plugs but no power loss.

The VTX runs a mild state of tune with relatively low compression numbers. Yes you'd notice a lack of performance if compression started to fall off enough and you'd notice lower MPG figures but it would be running very poorly and it would be obvious something was bad wrong.  I don't think compression is your problem because you say it runs ok.

We can't use Gabes bike as an example in comparison to what your experiencing.  Gabe was running high compression 10:1 pistons. Only the front cylinder was low and even with that, that "bad" cylinder was higher compression than a stock 1800 has and the rear cylinder was even higher still. That's why it ran "fine" like a normal VTX going to Johnny Cheese's. Even though it was not producing the compression numbers it should have for 10:1 pistons and therefore was not the real power house it should have been, the compression it was generating was more than enough to support good combustion.............. so it ran "fine" and ran no different than a normal stock VTX. The fact he's running high lift cams and his PC was questionable doesn’t help fuel mileage either.

Based on your response and not showing something obvious, I'd say ditch the PC altogether or just reload another similar map and ride a tankfull through it while taking very accurate fuel and mileage numbers.  Use a GPS if you can.  VTX speedos are notorious for being off.  Before pulling the PC, I'd copy the map and review it for any glaring error percentage numbers.  Bad PCs have been known to produce low mpg firgures when they screw up sometimes.

I'd pull at least one plug and check to see how foulded it is.  Pull one from a deep socket location because it will show any signs of fouling first.

What grade of fuel are you running?  Regular or premium?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 07:31:06 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2012, 08:51:46 PM »

On my 1800 the mileage nosedives when I get over 70. 65 - 70 seems to be the sweet spot for mileage.
02 1800C

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2012, 10:38:00 PM »

Trent has never ridden 65-70 in his life.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 08:04:49 AM »

On my 1800 the mileage nosedives when I get over 70. 65 - 70 seems to be the sweet spot for mileage.

I agree. The VTX is under geared by a good bit if you ask me.  That's why I'm going with a 1300 differential.  :thumbup:
Currently running the stock gearing, normal on the hiway I'm getting 38-42 mpg.  Riding it hard above 70 mph it drops to 30 mpg.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

DEMON

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 09:44:34 AM »

yes do a compression check...    :stickpoke: 

also check your wheels by doing a spin test... if you a caliper stiking or a wheel bearing going out it will affect your mpg

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2012, 11:45:42 AM »

my X was doing 25-27 milles x gallon on with rinehart pipes and power commander tuned for power, check maps, bet your Cranberries your are tunned on the power side, i will look i know i have at least 14 maps from a dyno session in my old laptop get back to you soon  :thumbup:

found the maps, sending you a rar file with all the ones i have just upload one at the time and check witch one fits you.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 11:50:56 AM by alejandro1800vtx »
just take it slow

johnnycheese

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »

fuel pressure regulator okay?
load control on a dyno if it is okay to see if it is tuned corrctly
Johnnycheese tuning center
512-767-4273
Builder and tuner of the fastest NA bike in Texas

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:53 PM »

:c.   Put fuel in when the light comes on!!!!    Move to the mountains it will do better !!!   Ride safe ride long. 
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal