Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need help in San Antonio  (Read 2483 times)

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
Need help in San Antonio
« on: June 01, 2012, 11:22:53 AM »

Hey guys, I just bought a new tire and it will be here in about a week. I need help with the mounting of the new tire. Anyone here know a good reputable place that can mount and does not have a problem with dyna-beads? 

Thanks,
Drew
Ride it like you Borrowed it :)

vtxsimon

• Tejano
Re: Need help in San Antonio
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 08:57:45 PM »

Try an indepedent shop first . The shop here in Uvalde will do it but that about 80 miles from San Antonio west on Hwy 90 .

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 09:30:55 AM »

Ok, done some checking and Alamo cycle is out of the running. Cycle gear wants $30 and cycle rider wants $30. I am leaning toward cycle rider cause he seemed less prickish on the phone and will do the tire while I wait. Anyone ever deal with either of these establishments?

Thanks,

Drew

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »

are you gonna remove the wheel your self? some independents are usually more open to mount and balance a tire that they didn't sell if you r&r the wheel your self. Be sure to check the flange bearing while you have the wheel off.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2012, 01:22:38 PM »

are you gonna remove the wheel your self? some independents are usually more open to mount and balance a tire that they didn't sell if you r&r the wheel your self. Be sure to check the flange bearing while you have the wheel off.

Yes I plan on taking it apart myself. I will be using bareass choppers as a guide. Doesn't look to be to hard. I just gotta find me a 17mm allen.  Lol

Thanks

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2012, 01:49:43 PM »

not hard, molypaste your drive splines , then molypaste everything else and it should slide together easy. check the flange bearing. these are notorious on X bikes and you don't know it's bad till you change tires.

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 07:46:52 PM »

At the risk of sounding like I don't know what your talking about...  What's moly paste?  I don't have it. What's a good replacement?

Also rereading your post, are you talking about rear tire? (drive splines). I am doing just the front tire at the moment.
Drew
« Last Edit: June 02, 2012, 07:49:40 PM by Drewboy22 »

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »

At the risk of sounding like I don't know what your talking about...  What's moly paste?  I don't have it. What's a good replacement?

Also rereading your post, are you talking about rear tire? (drive splines). I am doing just the front tire at the moment.
Drew
OH my mistake, thought you were doing the rear. Ignore previous posts untill you do the rear.

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2012, 08:04:31 PM »

Drew
OH my mistake, thought you were doing the rear. Ignore previous posts untill you do the rear.

So, no moly paste, or flange bearing?

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2012, 08:37:34 PM »

no flange but might want to put a little moly paste on the axle. moly paste is a high quality heat resistant luricant recommended for bearing and spline apps on Honda MCs. there is moly PASTE and moly GREASE. Don't get them mixed up. Available at local Honda dealer.

Drewboy22

• Master Tejano Rider
  • San Antonio, Texas
Re: Need help in San Antonio UPDATE!!
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 09:23:11 PM »

To give an update:

I got the tire off and checked brakes and all that fun stuff.

Got the tire in today and took it to Cycle Rider, (which by the way, for you local people, are good people. I will definitely use them again) and had them mount my new metz. 

Spent the rest of the day, in the garage putting it all back together.

Took her out for a test drive and the wheel stated on so, success!!  Yeah! 

Thanks for all the help and if anyone is out riding the hill country Saturday let me know. I believe we are going to kerville, blanco, lukenbach and what not.   If y'all are out pm me and I will send you my number to call.

Drew

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 10:41:33 PM »

I wish the Hill Country was my "back yard".   :drool:   :drool:  It's been too long since I've been there.

dclark31

• Old Timer
  • Schertz
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 12:01:15 PM »

Cyclerider is where I bought my X from.  Really good people.

Dana "Dutch" Clark - Semper Fi

morpheus

• Rider
  • 02 VTX 1800c
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 03:57:56 PM »

I've had good luck at cyclegear also.  The have mounted rubber on both my front and rear tires....

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal