Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Going to the drag strip.  (Read 388 times)

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Going to the drag strip.
« on: May 31, 2012, 10:36:10 PM »

Looking forward to going to the Drag strip. I am 100% stock and I am shooting for 10.5 @ 140mph on the 1000RR.
Maybe next Friday @ San Antonio Raceway or Little river in Temple.

The Pro's have run these bikes stock in the high 9's so I hope I get keep it in the mid 10's
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 10:37:53 PM by CouldBFaster »
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Going to the drag strip.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:14 PM »

You should expect to have to replace the clutch after your drag runs because..............it will be toast after a few hard core runs and that's with the understanding you'll be using the clutch only for 1st and speed shifting through the other gears because your not going to hit mid 10's using the clutch for any gear after 1st.  It'll never be the same smooth clutch that it is today, after the drag strip flogging ............unless it's already been abused.  Replica racer bikes like your 1000 have terriably high 1st gears that are designed and suited for road racing duty not drag racing.  If your serious about trying to make consistant mid 10 runs, you're going to have to slip the clutch huge coming off the line.  It will be advantagous to run about 28-30 psi in the rear tire and tie the front end down as well to get your best times. Keep in mind if you tie the front end down, it will steer extremely faster at 140 mph than it does right now due to the shorter trail.  Crank your steering damper up if it's adjustable to offset head shake.  

If your not a veteran of the drag strip with no experience as to what can happen there, I suggest you rent a full leather one piece suite.  Bad things and Shitzzz happens fast at 140mph. Be prepared.

Post your time slips when you get done.
Show me what you got!   :stickpoke:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 11:23:13 PM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250