Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: another case of flange bearing failure  (Read 3419 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
another case of flange bearing failure
« on: April 30, 2012, 05:30:59 PM »

went to put on a new metzler and discovered the flange bearing failure. Ok, wear did you guys get your bearings?
It's all just part of the adventure!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: another case of flange bearing failure
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 05:45:58 PM »

went to put on a new metzler and discovered the flange bearing failure. Ok, wear did you guys get your bearings?
http://www.purvisindustries.com/pbs.html
There is one in your area!!
Just take the bearing with you and they can match it up!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 06:17:35 PM »

Gary was there any indication, or just discovered it when replacing the tires.  ??? ???
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »

Gary was there any indication, or just discovered it when replacing the tires.  ??? ???

discovered it when I pulled the wheel, I put my finger and when I moved the bearing it was real rough. when I removed the flange, metal was in the wheel bearings and in the drive splines. 

Thanks Chad.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 07:45:18 PM »

Haven't tried Purvis Bearings yet but will if it happens again. I've replaced those bitches 4 times now and on the 3rd time I thought it may have been me doing something wrong. I was buying them from HLD and they were called "All Balls" and were sealed bearings. I always had a set on hand when I changed rear tires. This last time I went to a stealer and bought factory stuff. Their sealed on one side and on the open side I packed with regular wheel bearing grease. I don't mean just put grease, if you know how to work the grease into the bearing, that's what I did. Installed them open face to open face and made sure they seated. That was 15,000 miles ago and I had the rear wheel off last winter and they were as smoth as they were the day I put'um in.  Just my $0.16 worth.
I don't remember what they cost at a dealer but it wasn't much more, if any, than I was paying from HLD. Now I'm late for a  :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 09:39:27 PM »

The bearing itself is not special.  Any bearing house should be able to match it up.
The issue some folks are having when replacing the bearing is with the bore the bearing mounts into.  Honda undercut the hub diameter on some bikes too much and this causes too much crush on the O.D race which reduces the running clearance within the bearing itself.  This reduces bearing life.  Bearings of this type should only be subjected to approximately .0015-.002" press fit in the bore. 
If it was me and mine failed, I would prefer to mic the bearing O.D and the bore I.D. fit to determine if you have the correct pressed fit.  If you do, just replacing the bearing should be fine.
If it's too tight, you'd probably get the bearing in place, but the resultant tight fit will prematurely cause the bearing to fail again.  So if it was too tight, I'd sand the bearing O.D. race to fit.

Freeze the bearing and lightly heat the hub and the bearing should fall in place with little effort.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:12 AM »

Get in touch with Jon on the VTXOA board, he has a flange exchange program. He has the bore machined to correct the taper in the bore and installs new bearings, ready for install.
http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/member.php?6947-Jon-s1800VTXC

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 09:52:11 AM »

My housing had a taper in it's bore where the bearings press into it and seat, I had a machine shop mount it in a lathe, indicate it in and they cleaned up the bore, left it with a 0.001" press fit, like Mike said I left my bearings in the freezer overnight and lighly heated the bore, the bearings dropped right in with out any pressing, have not had any problems since.

:couch:
AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:55:22 PM »

My housing had a taper in it's bore where the bearings press into it and seat, I had a machine shop mount it in a lathe, indicate it in and they cleaned up the bore, left it with a 0.001" press fit, like Mike said I left my bearings in the freezer overnight and lighly heated the bore, the bearings dropped right in with out any pressing, have not had any problems since.

Machining is the best way to resolve the tight fit, but finding a good machinest that can do it right the first time with out wasting it might be hard for the average guy.  I know good machinests that can do it no problem because they are familiar with this grade of aluminum and its feed and cut rates.  They only have to remove a few thousands to make the fit correct and that's hard if your not familiar with the material.  That said............I'd let anyone try to fix if they agreed to eat it if he screwed it up.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »

Purvis didn't have it in stock so had to order it. I have to go to Chicago tomorrow and won't get back till Thursday nite.
Looks like no BBT for me. :banghead: :cuss:

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 07:03:35 PM »

Xcaliber,

I have heard that Jon's1800VTXC on the national site has complete re-worked hubs with bearings, He could overnite you one possibly.

Try giving him a PM, you never know he might be able to fix you up.

2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 07:31:31 PM »

Funny.... thats what I just said earlier....... :banghead:

Xcaliber,

I have heard that Jon's1800VTXC on the national site has complete re-worked hubs with bearings, He could overnite you one possibly.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 07:51:28 PM »

Purvis didn't have it in stock so had to order it. I have to go to Chicago tomorrow and won't get back till Thursday nite.

Go to a stealer Friday morn and get the bearings, put'em in and you can be there Friday afternoon.  :cuss: :cuss: BBT and no Gary, it ain't no fun with out somebody older than me! :c :c :stickpoke: :boxing: :pot: :couch:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 07:52:59 PM »

Go to a stealer Friday morn and get the bearings, put'em in and you can be there Friday afternoon.  :cuss: :cuss: BBT and no Gary, it ain't no fun with out somebody older than me! :c :c :stickpoke: :boxing: :pot: :couch:
Yeah what he said!!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2012, 10:25:26 AM »

Funny.... thats what I just said earlier....... :banghead:

Xcaliber,

Sorry Xwrecker, I got to read things better in the future. AppleSauce happens but a Good Catch.

Regards
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal