Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Light carry weapon for use on the bike  (Read 6336 times)

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
    • Hick Custom Machine Works
Light carry weapon for use on the bike
« on: December 19, 2011, 07:23:18 AM »

I am looking to purchase a light carry weapon for use while riding. This would include 500+ mile days, so it needs to be something that is not going to fatigue me due to weight, and it needs to be easily concealable. I would like to stay in the 9mm caliber if possible. I've already looked at the Ruger LC9 which I went to shoot yesterday. Not bad, but with the incredibly small frame, it is considerably more difficult to keep on target than a full framed piece. I suppose that is the sacrifice I am going to make in order to keep the weight down.

Anyone have some suggestions that may fit my need without breaking the bank? Experience with the LC9? Anyone want to call me a lightweight?
Displaced Texan.

Pug

• Old Timer
Re: Light carry weapon for use on the bike
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2011, 08:19:39 AM »

I've carried a Glock 36 for the last three years. If ever needed, I would much rather have the punch of a .45 than a 9mm. Given the polymer frame it's not much heavier than a pocket 9mm -- but the BG will think twice about showing attitude looking down the front end of a hand cannon.

Check out the Texas Hunting Forum (www.texashuntingforum.com), Texas Gun Talk (www.texasguntalk.com/forums/guns-sale/) and Texas CHL Forums (http://www.texaschlforum.com/index.php) for some options.
2006 1800R Spec2 Lightly Farkled -- RIP: ST1300 ABS / BMW R1100RT / 2008 GL1800 / 2006 VTX 1300S / 1997 Aspencade 1500

opos04

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:18 AM »

I carry a Ruger LCP 380. It's small, light and very dependable. Thats just my
2007 1800N Charcoal

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 09:47:34 AM »

Handguns are always too large and too heavy when you're carrying them, and too small and too light when you're using them to defend yourself. Ruger has a good reputation for building reliable weapons. They aren't works of art, but they generally function well. I'd stay with a 9mm or a .40, and buy the one that feels natural in your hand and shoots well for you. There are many good choices out there. Look at the Kahr line and some of the Taurus pistols. The method you select to carry it will make the biggest difference in comfort. Ane remember, it's not what you hit them with; it's where you hit them that counts. Guys like me who insist on carrying .45s are really just compensating for small earlobes.
02 1800C

VTX-Dan

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 09:59:52 AM »

Take a look at the Springfield Armory XD sub-compact.
You get 10+1 capacity in a small polymer frame.  The frame is wider than the Ruger, and it is much more pleasant to shoot.

I have one.  If you are planning on coming to the New Year's Day ride, I can bring it with me.
Mine is not for sale, but you can check it for fitment, feel, comfort, etc.

Here is a picture I pulled from Google to give you an idea on size of the XD SC.
2005 VTX 1300C

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2011, 10:24:01 AM »

Handguns are always too large and too heavy when you're carrying them, and too small and too light when you're using them to defend yourself. Ruger has a good reputation for building reliable weapons. They aren't works of art, but they generally function well. I'd stay with a 9mm or a .40, and buy the one that feels natural in your hand and shoots well for you. There are many good choices out there. Look at the Kahr line and some of the Taurus pistols. The method you select to carry it will make the biggest difference in comfort. Ane remember, it's not what you hit them with; it's where you hit them that counts. Guys like me who insist on carrying .45s are really just compensating for small earlobes.

Guys like me who insist on carrying .45s are really just compensating for small earlobes. :rofl: :rofl: That there cracked me up.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2011, 10:25:04 AM »

You get 10+1 capacity in a small polymer frame.  The frame is wider than the Ruger, and it is much more pleasant to shoot.

I have one.  If you are planning on coming to the New Year's Day ride, I can bring it with me.

Here is a picture I pulled from Google to give you an idea on size of the XD SC.

Quite honestly, I love the XDs. Two things create a problem though. I wonder how difficult they are to truely keep concealed on a bike, and they are a biit out of my price range.
Displaced Texan.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2011, 10:30:12 AM »

Quite honestly, I love the XDs. Two things create a problem though. I wonder how difficult they are to truely keep concealed on a bike, and they are a biit out of my price range.

You can always get yourself a trunk :stickpoke: :stickpoke:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

WILD E

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:33:32 AM »

my two cents to add to these words of wisdom !
Guys who carry anything less than a .45 have to squat to  pee !!!! lol
03 1800 VTX RS BLACK
New Braunfels

hogcowboy

• Tejano
  • 2116 Indian Roadmaster (now triked)
    • Rock Hill Ranch
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:16 AM »

You may have to get used to carrying any weapon you choose in a shoulder rig. It's the only way I can carry comfortably while riding my X. I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a shoulder and can go all day with it but I've been doing that for a long time now. The only other way I would consider would be a .380 in the pocket but you give up a lot fire power going that route. But you can carry just about anything you want in a shoulder rig.
Do everything as if your life depends on it. IT COULD! Patriot Guard/American Legion Rider

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 10:55:39 AM »

I like the XDs too. If I had to quit carrying my 1911 on duty, I'd most likely go to the XD. But it's a very bulky weapon, and there are a lot of quality pistols that are easier to conceal.
02 1800C

cybrhick

• Master Tejano Rider
  • The outcast
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2011, 11:04:09 AM »

And you could always suck on...

my buddy Jim's tiny earlobes.
Displaced Texan.

Swamp Rat

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2011, 11:12:38 AM »

Bersa Thunder .380   Very comfortable in a inside holster just above wallet, 7 shot single stack magazine = thin profile and downst dig into your kindeys while riding (unlike a double stack 9mm or .40)  Just my .2 :flag:

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2011, 11:17:46 AM »

And you could always suck on...

my buddy Jim's tiny earlobes.

Cyber (Hick) enough said only a hick would go there  :t :t

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 11:20:20 AM »

Be careful about Bersas; they are very inconsistent. It will either be a flawless weapon or a hopeless piece of junk; buying one is a crapshoot. The Ruger LCP or KelTec would be a better choice in a .380acp.
02 1800C
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal