Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Synthetic oil change  (Read 1399 times)

blingbling

• Rider
  • BlingBling (Tyler,TX)
Synthetic oil change
« on: October 29, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »

Last year I put synthetic oil in my X. I have put about 1500 miles on it since then. Should I change the oil because it's been over a year as I would with a regular oil or is the fact it's a synthetic can I wait until I reach say 3000 miles?
Doug Courson

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Synthetic oil change
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:40:23 AM »

3000 no worries, should not be a issue, ride on  :bikerider:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Xulli

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:42:12 AM »

I would bro... for the past 2 months ive have noticed a decrease of power when i ride, but when i change my oil (synth) 2 weeks ago, ive noticed its been running better. The funny thing is when i check my records on the last time ive changed my oil was in Oct of last year  :ohwow: and i only put 6k miles on it.  :cuss:
Isaac M.
2012 Blue Imp.  victory XC
Galveston, Texas

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »

Yeah, should be fine.  Synthetics break down a lot slower than conventional oils.  Being one reason they last longer in engine and between oil changes.  I actually use a synthetic blend and change my oil every 5K which is about twice a year roughly. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2011, 03:59:23 PM »

Your fine but if it bothers you , change it, it's cheap, providing that you do it yourself.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2011, 04:08:35 PM »

I try to change my oil every 3k, I changed my oil yesterday and it has been 6667 miles since I last changed my oil.
Did a valve check last two checks no changes at all, this time one in front wal soose and one on the rear was tight.
Man missed that one by a mile, must have been the wine ;D ;D ;D
Replaced final drive oil, after about 6K seem to really like the new juice.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:49:53 PM by Gumbo »
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2011, 04:13:44 PM »

need to change mine, I usually go 4000 on the synthetic, need to do my valves and wanna check the coolant hoses. Noticed at the rally that I had a small amount leak out when the temp dropped. I heard that they do that sometimes when the temp drops rapidly. Did it a coupla years ago haven't done it since.
It's all just part of the adventure!

flipflop

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 05:09:59 PM »

:bikerider:  :bikerider:  :bikerider:  Ride Ride Ride!!
Always Ride, You can not get back the Ride you missed!!!

dclark31

• Old Timer
  • Schertz
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 06:42:46 PM »

need to change mine, I usually go 4000 on the synthetic, need to do my valves and wanna check the coolant hoses. Noticed at the rally that I had a small amount leak out when the temp dropped. I heard that they do that sometimes when the temp drops rapidly. Did it a coupla years ago haven't done it since.

I've been noticing the same thing with mine, looks like it is near the pressure cap from the directional line of the leak.  Never leaked at all during the hot summer months, as soon as it started getting cooler I noticed it.

Dana "Dutch" Clark - Semper Fi

Silver-VTX

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2011, 10:47:21 PM »

I just go by the service manual.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal