Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Thunder Hurricane or Barrons BAK  (Read 3346 times)

SuperBlue

• Trailer Queen
Thunder Hurricane or Barrons BAK
« on: October 17, 2011, 06:22:51 PM »

Thinking about either a Barrons BAK or a Thunder Hurricane, but would first like to see how they look in person.  Anybody in the North Texas (Dallas/Allen) area with either of these on their VTX 1800?  And/or anybody that has had practical experience with either of these (e.g., I do a lot of commuting on my X and sometimes get caught in the rain)?   
'03 1800R Bagger

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Thunder Hurricane or Barrons BAK
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 03:14:28 PM »

I know this is kinda late, but I would suggest if you are looking for a less restrictive air cleaner to keep your stock air cleaner box and replace the filter with a K&N.  This will help avoid you getting stranded on the road b/c of water getting in.  especially since you ride a lot.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 01:11:56 AM »

Do you adjust your valves yourself? If you do, go with the Hurricane. You won't need to remove it for adjustments. Also, it's supposed to be less restrictive than the BAK.
02 1800C

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 09:42:37 AM »

There was a write up years ago about the Hurricane giving you the most possible airflow with the Tornado in a close 2nd.  I have the Tornado and have driven back to Allen from Fredricksburg in non stop rain with no problem and have been stranded on the side of a mountain in the Smoky's during what could only be described as a monsoon with no problem.  Just keep it oiled, you'll be fine. 

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 11:37:25 AM »

I have had open air intakes on all of the VTXs I have owned and never had any trouble with rain.
Like SouthernXer said keep them oiled and you shouldn't have any trouble.

Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2011, 11:12:20 PM »

Dave, I'm back in town... Give me a call and come by, I'll show you mine and you can check for clearance. 

TAZ

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Conroe TX.
    • The "TAZ" Machine
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2011, 10:52:32 PM »

I think the 1300 is the only ones that have problems with the rain.  Because they have a carb.
Later,
"TAZ"
1300C

LEDS installed for $150.00 for members and $200.00 for non members. 14 pods, switch, fuse holder, 3amp fuse included for that price.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z147/LEDTAZ/

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2011, 07:53:00 AM »

There was a write up years ago about the Hurricane giving you the most possible airflow with the Tornado in a close 2nd.  I have the Tornado and have driven back to Allen from Fredricksburg in non stop rain with no problem and have been stranded on the side of a mountain in the Smoky's during what could only be described as a monsoon with no problem.  Just keep it oiled, you'll be fine.  

This is the largest filter that I've found for the VTX.  While it may not be the prettiest, I think it has the highest CFM rating I've seen.  Bought one a while back and it's still sitting on the shelf.  When I get around to it..............I'll get it mounted to my bike.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/KNN-RK-3916
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 07:56:04 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2011, 09:22:51 AM »

There was a write up years ago about the Hurricane giving you the most possible airflow with the Tornado in a close 2nd.  I have the Tornado and have driven back to Allen from Fredricksburg in non stop rain with no problem and have been stranded on the side of a mountain in the Smoky's during what could only be described as a monsoon with no problem.  Just keep it oiled, you'll be fine.  

This is the largest filter that I've found for the VTX.  While it may not be the prettiest, I think it has the highest CFM rating I've seen.  Bought one a while back and it's still sitting on the shelf.  When I get around to it..............I'll get it mounted to my bike.
That is what Trent (couldbfaster) is running on his Neo. That thing definately breathes some air.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2011, 09:40:54 AM »

Keep in mind, with this intake, you may feel a little light headed when at lights :ohwow:, b/c the VTX as is sucks so much air in that it will deprive you of needed oxygen.  O0
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 10:02:19 AM »

Keep in mind, with this intake, you may feel a little light headed when at lights :ohwow:, b/c the VTX as is sucks so much air in that it will deprive you of needed oxygen.  O0
Is that what is wrong with Trent?  :stickpoke:
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 11:02:33 AM »

I think the 1300 is the only ones that have problems with the rain.  Because they have a carb.

The 1300 using a carb is definitely more susceptible to water intrusion than an 1800 is with injection.  While the 1800 would still have problems running well, if enough water got in the engine to reduce fuel atomization, a 1300 will have problems much sooner and from much less water intrusion causing the problems to show up sooner.  That's because of the small jet passages in a carb.  Primarily in the pilot fuel, pilot air and needle jet air passage ways.  It only takes a small amount of water to alter the ability of the carb to meter air, meter fuel and atomize fuel in these circuits, so the engine stumbles and eventually dies.  Increasing water intrusion eventually ends up replacing the majority of the fuel as the primary fluid that gets metered in these circuits, so the engine dies.  Carburated engines can actually handle a surprising amount of water flowing directly through the main carb venturi/throat without problem because that circuit does not meter the fuel that the engine must have to sustain operation.  This can continue up until a point that combustion cannot be supported and the engine dies.  In fact, direct water injection was commonly used a long time ago on both carb and fuel injected engines to increase engine performance in an effort to reduce detonation but the amount must be strictly controlled to be effective.
While it's not a common practice today, mechanics use to spray water into the carbs while running under load to reduce combustion chamber carbon.  It really does clean them out but you have to be careful not to spray too much in at one time because you can blow a head gasket from the increased compression.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 11:07:22 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1