Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Camshaft options???  (Read 728 times)

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Camshaft options???
« on: June 10, 2011, 05:59:09 PM »

Hey I am going to take the bike down this winter. I want to get some more power out of her. Its cheaper to build a performance motor than to buy a new bike. Plus I love this bike.

Anyone have any experience with cams or other performance parts?

Thanks
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
Re: Camshaft options???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 08:15:22 PM »

If I wanted more power out of my 1800, I would just add a nitrous bottle kit. No need to mess with cams or pistons. Turbo's have been done all without getting into the engine in a major way. There are big bore kits, but how much power are you looking for?

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:18:55 PM »

Might want to check with Demon, about big bore kits, only problem is he can't get it right  :t :t :t
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 08:40:58 PM »

My thought is if ya wanna go that fast buy a crotch rocket they are cheap
Alvin,Texas

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 08:57:41 PM »

Hey I am going to take the bike down this winter. I want to get some more power out of her. Its cheaper to build a performance motor than to buy a new bike. Plus I love this bike.

Thanks
Hey Trent,

A word of advice, I have two bikes and they serve two different purposes. Your VTX is a cruiser and that is all it will ever be! If you want to go fast, go get a used sport bike and ride your Cranberries off. They are cheaper and less time consuming than doing motor work! Right Gabe  :couch:

Anyways Trent, go get a sport bike and have a blast, I promise that is the way to go! 8)

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 10:35:38 PM »

Thanks
Hey Trent,

A word of advice, I have two bikes and they serve two different purposes. Your VTX is a cruiser and that is all it will ever be! If you want to go fast, go get a used sport bike and ride your Cranberries off. They are cheaper and less time consuming than doing motor work! Right Gabe  :couch:

Anyways Trent, go get a sport bike and have a blast, I promise that is the way to go! 8)
:agree:
i did this and i am loving it!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

DEMON

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2011, 08:21:16 AM »

well the reason my motor had issues was due to the wrong piston rings were installed on the bike.  the bike made 100 hp and 110 ftlbs of torque with only 1 cyclinder making good compression...

The cams I have are from Web, they cost around $500 and you will need new springs.  Also I send the heads to get ported.  I got new JE pistons, an ignition module to increase the red line to 7000 RPMs and help ad or remove timing while tunning it. 

Thanks to the help from David, Mikey, Ron,(Robert and Gumbo only showed up to drink beer) the job has not been too bad.  The motor is easy to work on once you remove it from the frame.  I agree with the others, if you are loking for more power maybe a second bike is the way to go specially if your VTX is running good, if you want to tinker with the VTX your gas miles will suffer and the reliability of the bike may not be the same.  We got a chance to work on the bike yesterday and the motor is back on the bike.  =)

If you do deside the go with a big bore kit, FYI  some kits go too big and you will have issues turning the motor over, so be carefull how big you go.  Also remember that high compression requires premiun fuel.   

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2011, 05:42:34 PM »

Yep, had a good day!

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2011, 06:39:18 PM »

did you do anything to the lower end ? what else have you done , what about a ecu. gonna be interesting to see how it comes out
It's all just part of the adventure!

DEMON

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2011, 07:27:43 PM »

nothing done to the bottom end, I have a PCIII and the ignition module that's it.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal