Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: James Arness of 'Gunsmoke' fame dead at 88  (Read 833 times)

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
James Arness of 'Gunsmoke' fame dead at 88
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:22:37 PM »

It takes a special kind of lawman to carry on for 20 years in the Wild West of TV.

Matt Dillon, the mythical marshal of Dodge City, stood tall — all 6 feet, 6 inches of him — on "Gunsmoke" from 1955 to 1975. He outlasted dozens of other Western heroes while making history on TV's longest-running dramatic series, a record that held until NBC's "Law & Order" tied the CBS Western's record in 2010.

Through all those gunslinging years, James Arness, who died Friday, kept Marshal Dillon righteous, peace-seeking and, most of all, believable.

Fickle viewers can kill a TV hero as surely as a bullet from an outlaw's six-gun. But Arness knew how to maintain order not only in circa-1870s Dodge City, but also among the TV audience, whose itchy fingers on their channel changers he knew how to calm.

In an era when TV actors typically chewed the scenery, Arness had a credible, commanding presence by hardly uttering a word. A typical scene found a dozen cowboys riding up to the town jail intent on busting out a prisoner pal.

Dillon faces them all down.

"The first move anybody makes," he says, with a slight shake of his head, "I cut you in two."

Arness' defiant but rueful delivery is so understated, he makes Clint Eastwood seem like a loudmouth.

No wonder "Gunsmoke" wore so well. And became the last word on a programming craze that some seasons found as many as 30 Westerns on the air. When "Gunsmoke" went off in 1975, it was the only Western left.

By the end of his career, Arness, who was 88 when he died at his home in Los Angeles, seemed almost indistinguishable from Matt Dillon in the audience's mind.

Befitting Marshal Dillon's dignity and composure, Arness wrote, and left behind, a simple, straight-from-the-heart farewell which, at his request, was posted posthumously Friday on his official website.

"I had a wonderful life and was blessed with ... (so) many loving people and great friends," he said, then went on to thank his multitude of fans.

Alvin,Texas

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: James Arness of 'Gunsmoke' fame dead at 88
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 10:06:27 PM »

That is sad news!!
 I grew up on Gunsmoke! My Dad probably watched every episode 10 times.
A truely great man!
RIP
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:09:40 PM »

:agree: and I still watch old reruns on the western channel one of my favorite TV shows growing up and just do not make em like they used to.I knew he was a vet but did not know he was wounded at Anzio.All the great ones are sadly passing away but thats life R.I.P.
Alvin,Texas

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 01:09:06 AM »

R.I.P.

Jim and I watch Gunsmoke everyday. Well mostly Jim..........
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 08:25:02 AM »

A few months ago a special, hosted by his brother (Peter Graves, of Mission Impossible) ran on -- I think -- the Biography channel. I didn't get to see it all, but it was pretty interesting. I imagine we'll be seeing it again soon.
02 1800C

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 08:58:27 AM »

Grew up on Gunsmoke Still like to watch it from time to time. Wonder what would happen if they remade it and aired it today. Put it up against one of these train wrecks they call reality TV. Bet it would get an audience
It's all just part of the adventure!

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »

Growing up with Gunsmoke on Saturday nites was a way life. He'll live on in many minds as one of the best.

ps  Having a BIG crush on Miss Kitty was also a good reason to watch!
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2011, 12:20:31 PM »

Definitely one of the favorites at my house growing up  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 07:24:49 AM »

mmmmMMMMMMMM Miss Kitty! Kitty, Kitty!
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal