Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bleeding Brakes (North Houston Area)  (Read 1791 times)

JC507JC

• Trailer Queen
Bleeding Brakes (North Houston Area)
« on: June 02, 2011, 01:55:37 PM »

I'm about done with my 240 build and I need to bleed my brakes. This is one part I don't want to do myself. Just to much of a safety thing for me to trust myself. So was wondering if anyone on the Northside of Houston, actually I like in the Woodlands, so Spring, Woodlands, Conroe area, would like to help me out with this. I dont have a brake bleeding kit or a vacuum but can get one.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: Bleeding Brakes (North Houston Area)
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2011, 03:49:03 PM »

Go to AutoZone and get a Brake bleeder pump!! It is a must for easy bleeding!!
Would more than help you out but I am a little to far from you!
I am sure someone will help you!
Have to post some pics of your bike!
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 04:00:12 PM by VTXChad »
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 04:57:46 PM »

big plastic syringe and fishtank tubing....force fluid up from open caliper bleed screw up to resevoir until full, don't take long, no mess
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."
"I am the BAD thing that happens to GOOD people!"

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2011, 07:30:06 PM »

big plastic syringe and fishtank tubing....force fluid up from open caliper bleed screw up to resevoir until full, don't take long, no mess

Hadn't heard of this one. Makes sense! Got to think outside of the box sometimes. Good one Kevin.   :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 05:41:19 AM »

Here take a look at this site, it gives step by step instructions http://tech.bareasschoppers.com/brakes/bleeding-brakes-vtx-1800/
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 07:20:23 AM »

I think it's time I do mine too.  Gonna go buy that pump
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

matap

• Board
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 08:53:44 AM »

realistically, assuming you have some skill on this already, how long does it take.  I have bled brakes before but haven't done my Neo before.  I would like to bleed the brakes and as well as bleed the clutch.  any estimates?

JC507JC

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 08:58:32 AM »

Thx guys, I read the writeup on bare Cranberries choppers and it seems pretty straight forward.   

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 09:15:40 AM »

I didn't read bare's link so I don't know if he addressed it or not, but you can use some of the pumps available to force fresh fluid into the system from the bottom up.  It's a bit messier, but faster. You get less air trying to trap itself in fittings and corners that way. I prefer to just use a vacuum pump myself, and pull the fluid down through the calipers. Either way, it's one of the easier maintenance chores you can perform on your bike.
02 1800C

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2011, 02:10:10 PM »

I agree with Hipshot.  If you have never done this before, with Bare's walk through and a mighty-vac, you can do the job in WELL under an hour.  Once you know what you're doing you can do the job in 30 minutes, and that's taking your time.
My now long gone VTX...

matap

• Board
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2011, 02:11:53 PM »

I think I'm gonna buy the stuff sometime this weekend and do it before ROT rally.

FatDaddy

• Old Timer
  • FORT WORTH
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2011, 03:21:46 PM »

using a syringe only takes two or three minutes (i did my front in approx. 1 syringe) so about 30 seconds, doing a rear would only take a couple more and it is really a no mess job, following the bare website is a good way to do it as well, kinda like a car...there is always more than 1 way to do the job it just matters how much beer you have to drink to finish it. If you were closer i would show you how to do this, well whatever you decide good luck and make sure you use the right fluid and tighten your bleeders tight when done....good luck
"WHAT THE DUECE!?!."
"I am the BAD thing that happens to GOOD people!"

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2011, 04:18:44 PM »

using a syringe only takes two or three minutes (i did my front in approx. 1 syringe) so about 30 seconds, doing a rear would only take a couple more and it is really a no mess job, following the bare website is a good way to do it as well, kinda like a car...there is always more than 1 way to do the job it just matters how much beer you have to drink to finish it. If you were closer i would show you how to do this, well whatever you decide good luck and make sure you use the right fluid and tighten your bleeders tight when done....good luck

I also use a syringe, purchased at any local feed store, I also use it to change oil in final drive. It works really well  :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2011, 05:29:35 PM »

bout due to do my clutch again starting to resemble Dr Pepper, easy , I have the vacuum pump haven't tried the syringe method.
It's all just part of the adventure!

matap

• Board
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 07:31:47 PM »

well, just finished bleeding the brakes and clutch reservoir and I will have to say, that it was pretty easy and of course saved myself a ton of money from taking it to the stealership.  I can't remember exactly how much they said they would charge me, but I do remember it was high.  above a couple hundred maybe.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal