Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Spark Plug Data  (Read 1138 times)

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
Spark Plug Data
« on: May 23, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »

FYI...............Champion has one of the best webpages I've seen for plug data.

http://www.championsparkplugs.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Champion+Stainless+Steel+Plugs&mfid=2

AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Spark Plug Data
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »

Forget the Champion's, their for Fords, Chevy's and John Deer's
Bosch 4419. Best thing
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:53:25 PM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2011, 07:14:12 AM »

Forget the Champion's, their for Fords, Chevy's and John Deer's
Bosch 4419. Best thing

Why is that ???
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

hooter

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »

Their dependable and long lasting. Almost all the riders I know with 1800's have changed with nothing but the best to say about the preformance and longevity. I'm on my 3rd set now with over 50,000 and never had a plug foul or fail. Bosch, JMO If your looking for a good site, go to Champion, if your looking for a good plug go Bosch.

popag

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2011, 02:56:35 PM »

from my past experience a fouled plug can occur no matter who makes it - when the bike or car is properly tuned and no internal issues with motor the plugs will burn clean and last a while - jmo of course
'03 VTX 1300S Retro
Texas Sons Of Liberty Rider
http://texassonsoflibertyriders.ning.com/

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2011, 04:39:06 PM »

Any differences in longevity and performance (doubtful if any) have more to do with plug type, heat range and materials of construction than brand name. I don't favor any particular brand over another because years of experience and plug reviews/studies have shown me that brand has little to do with quality.  Any of the well know plug manufacturers make a fine product. Choosing the best plug for an application depends on the correct electrode type, heat range and materials of construction.  IMO, the most important aspect is heat range. If the heat range is too cold or hot, it will not work well, foul or wear out prematurely, regardless of the brand name. I think were people mess up on plug selection is using the cross over charts without understanding what the ratings mean.  Just because a manufacturer states their particular plug is a cross for an OEM unit, that doesn’t guarantee it's the same heat range as what your replacing.  Trial and error using different heat ranges of a non-OEM type or manufacturer is the only way to confirm the correct heat range for an application. 
On the subject of materials, Platinum offers good service life for the cost. 
The iridium’s generally last longer due to the hardness of the center electrode which has superior erosion resistance and provide a more reliable spark because they maintain the correct gap for a longer period of time.  Due to their materials of construction, they generally are the most expensive.  While the iridium’s produce a more reliable spark that doesn't necessarily mean they produce more power than another material type.  Once the flame front is lit, that's all that counts.   
While I have no problems with the Bosch plugs that have multiple ground electrodes (I'm currently using the Bosch 4312+2 Platinum), the multiple ground electrodes (of the +2 or +4 designs) have not been proven to be better than a single ground type.   
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE

hooter

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »

You know, your right.
" the most important aspect is heat range. If the heat range is too cold or hot, it will not work well, foul or wear out prematurely, regardless of the brand name".
You offered a chart and said it was the best you'd seen, kool, I just related what I"ve found, even though my 02 calls for a colder plug (4418), I stepped up one degree to the 4419. You run what the hell you wanta run. Just thought I'd give my opinion on what has and does work for me and many others without paying an arm and a leg. I ride alot of back and forth to work, 70 miles a day but what sold me on Bosch is I run the long roads, here to Colorado, Nevada, California every year and most states north of these areas in the cold, rain, heat, and any weather condition between what I just listed. This year is up to northern New York state and I might change out my plugs this time as I do have a little over 15,000 at the moment. So my friend, look on your chart and guess at what works. Good luck! 

popag

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2011, 11:47:06 AM »

should have stated the obvious being the plug itself - i stand corrected
'03 VTX 1300S Retro
Texas Sons Of Liberty Rider
http://texassonsoflibertyriders.ning.com/

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2011, 08:31:23 PM »

Long ago I read about the 02 VTXs needing a hotter plug due to fouling. That was fixed after 02.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal