Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tic Tic Tic  (Read 2423 times)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Tic Tic Tic
« on: April 25, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »

ok.  when I start the bike it  makes a Tic Tic Tic sound for a few seconds then goes away, If it was an old car I would say it sounds like a lifter,  What say you all? Loose valve that needs adjusting?
It's all just part of the adventure!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
Re: Tic Tic Tic
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 05:17:11 PM »

ok.  when I start the bike it  makes a Tic Tic Tic sound for a few seconds then goes away, If it was an old car I would say it sounds like a lifter,  What say you all? Loose valve that needs adjusting?
  Mine sounds like that all the time!! lol
Might just be oil not getting to the top of the engine fast enough!
What kind of oil are you useing? Synthetic?
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 05:29:03 PM »

yes mobil 1 10 -40

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 07:03:07 PM »

Ride it until it dies and get another! :popcorn:

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »

yes mobil 1 10 -40
  I Useally have the ticing sound too! No worries!!
Member since 2004

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:36:25 AM »

mine's never done that before, just started.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 06:24:34 AM »

mine's never done that before, just started.

I'm sure you also have things that have never done that before too, it's called getting old.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Have you checked for exhaust leak  ??? Taping or Ticking you might want to check replace exhaust gaskets. After replacing gaskets:
Add a couple of stainless steel washers onto studs before putting the acorn nuts back on (so the acorns don't bottom out).
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 08:57:14 AM »

Mine has recently started doing this also.  It's definitely not the ticking from the valves...I know what that sounds like.  This new ticking sound only happens from a cold startup for me, or else it's less pronounced after the bike has warmed up.  Once the bike is running for a few seconds, the ticking stops and I hear the valves doing their thing.

My oil was changed about 5K miles ago, and I've always used Amsoil since 9K miles on the odometer.  I'm not due for a valve adjustment for another 4K miles.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 09:14:48 AM »

Mine has recently started doing this also.  It's definitely not the ticking from the valves...I know what that sounds like.  This new ticking sound only happens from a cold startup for me, or else it's less pronounced after the bike has warmed up.  Once the bike is running for a few seconds, the ticking stops and I hear the valves doing their thing.

My oil was changed about 5K miles ago, and I've always used Amsoil since 9K miles on the odometer.  I'm not due for a valve adjustment for another 4K miles.

Mine has been doing the exact same thing.  I had one bolt on each exhaust that had worked a little loose.  After tightening it's better, but not gone.

I don't know the specifics of this motor internally as I probably should by now, but I wonder if it's the cam chain stretching and tapping against the tensioner.  As in, the chain is getting past the point of the tensioner working as well.
Chunk the llama.

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2011, 11:06:19 AM »

The tic tic can be caused from higher levels of ethanol in our wonderful gasoline. If you do a little research about the blended fuel you will be shocked. The shelf life is around 90-100 days before it starts breaking down. I recently had problems with a generator and after speaking with a local Onan repair shop, he told me he had seen a few start having problems after sitting up a little over 1 month. :cuss: :banghead: :cuss:
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2011, 02:32:26 PM »

I knew about the ethanol crap, but my bike hardly sits for even a few days in a row.  I think B-Rock maybe on to something.  It's only happening on my front cylinder, as far as I can tell from just listening to it from the outside.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2011, 02:53:49 PM »

I knew about the ethanol crap, but my bike hardly sits for even a few days in a row.  I think B-Rock maybe on to something.  It's only happening on my front cylinder, as far as I can tell from just listening to it from the outside.

I suspect it's probably on bikes with a bit higher mileage IF it's the chain and/or tensioner.  Gary, how many miles are on your bike?  Jason and I have quite a bit.
Chunk the llama.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2011, 02:56:43 PM »

I suspect it's probably on bikes with a bit higher mileage IF it's the chain and/or tensioner.  Gary, how many miles are on your bike?  Jason and I have quite a bit.
Mine only has 18000 on it!!  ???
Member since 2004

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2011, 03:19:33 PM »

Mine only has 18000 on it!!  ???

Yeah, but you're...special.  :P
Chunk the llama.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 03:59:40 PM »

mine has 36000, definatly from the cylinders, not exhaust, it only does it on start up, more pronounced when cold but does it sometime when warm.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal