Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Biker Down--This Time It Was Me  (Read 2211 times)

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
Biker Down--This Time It Was Me
« on: April 24, 2011, 04:30:26 PM »

Laid it down yesterday while riding in Austin on Riverside Drive.  Still not exactly sure what happened.  I was doing about 30 mph in a slight left turn.  Some how the bike ended up leaning over farther than I had intended it to, and next thing I knew, the back end slid out from under me.  My left foot got caught under the bike, and I ended up dislocating my left ankle.  I didn't notice it at the time, but I also sustained a small break in my left collar bone.  Had I not been wearing all my protective gear, I'm sure I would have been hurt even worse, but the left sleeve of my web jacket slid up and allowed me to sustain some bad abrasions on my left elbow.  Although my ankle was reset at the hospital, the doctor told me I was going to need surgery later in the week after the swelling has gone down.  I don't know how much of a factor it might have been, but I had just put a new rear tire on the bike on Friday.

Surprisingly, the bike sustained very little damage, and my buddy Barry, who had been riding with me, was able to ride it back to his house without any problem.  The left rear turn signal was broken off, and both the left shock absorber and left highway bar were scratched up.  Those items will be easy to repair, but it looks like I won't be riding again for a while.

Nobody wants to have an accident, but I'm mostly just grateful that it wasn't worse.

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
Re: Biker Down--This Time It Was Me
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 04:48:23 PM »

:notworthy:  I am glad it was not worse!!!  True a new tire needs to be scuffed in to have the grip!! Slowly!!   I hope you heal quickly bro!!!!    Ride safe ride long
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 05:01:48 PM »

Glad your ok and the old addage could have been worse.I have noticed with new tires at least the Avons are pretty slick for the first few days untill they are on the road a few miles.
Alvin,Texas

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 05:10:11 PM »

Glad everything didn't end up bad! Hopefully everything will heal up fast!!
Take care Mike!  :thumbup:
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 05:12:03 PM »

Glad your ok and the old addage could have been worse.I have noticed with new tires at least the Avons are pretty slick for the first few days untill they are on the road a few miles.

:agree: Never trust a new tire for a few days until you get them scuffed up, especially on the edges! Now stop whineing, get back on and ride like hell!!!
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2011, 06:42:36 PM »

Mike, I hope you get better soon and I am glad it was not worse.  BTW, which motorcycle were you riding?
'02 1800C

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2011, 07:15:33 PM »

Sorry to hear this Mike.  I hope you heal fast and good. 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Quick-Silver

• Old Timer
  • Canyon Lake, Tx
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »

Glad you are OK!
Jerry Maler
07 Honda GL1800 Goldwing - Silver

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2011, 08:53:49 PM »

Hate to here this Mike. I hope everything turns out okay with the ankle. Keep us updated and hope you get well soon. :thumbup:
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 09:16:44 PM »

Just goes to show it can happen to anyone, hope you recover fast as possible, let us know if you need anything  :popcorn:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 09:35:07 PM »

Heal-up quick even though a dislocation will take a while.  The surgery will make it feel better but total recovery to where you feel like your old self may take a few months (have had a couple of athletes with dislocations).  Sorry to hear about this, but as everyone else has reaffirmed, glad it was not worse.

'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »

Sorry to hear this. I am glad your were not hurt more then you were.
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 10:32:39 PM »

Glad you are ok. Collar bone can be a long slow heal, my son still complains about his collar bone it's been 2 years (snowboarding accident). Gald you were geared up, riding slow and had hwy bars. Hope for a speedy recovery.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

Lone_Wolfe

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Seattle, WA
    • My Cycle Travels
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 10:50:23 PM »

Hey Mike, glad to hear it wasn't any worse. Sounds like you'll be back to riding in a few short weeks.

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2011, 04:39:51 AM »

Glad to here that you are going to be ok.

Heal fast

Later
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal