Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Biker Down--This Time It Was Me  (Read 2208 times)

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
Re: Biker Down--This Time It Was Me
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 06:37:46 AM »

Dang Mike, if you wanted an excuse to buy some mods for the bike, there's other ways to go about it.  :P

I'm glad to hear it wasn't worse.  You'll be back at it before you know it.
Chunk the llama.

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2011, 07:09:00 AM »

And I thought MY weekend was bad. Dang, Mike. I'm sure glad you were wearing your gear. Everytime I think about leaving my jacket at home, my hip starts hurting again. That's from a year ago when I had my accident with the idiot on the freeway.

Heal fast and ride hard.

Wayne
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 09:07:45 AM »

Mike - you gonna whine like a ricer burer or man up like an "X" rider?  "X" stands for Xtreme.  Duct tape that ankle and shoulder and get on that bike - No FEAR!

Glad you are OK!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2011, 09:17:59 AM »

Sorry to hear about your get off.  Glad it wasn't worse.  Anytime someone goes down theres an opportunity to learn something which may prevent another mishap for that rider and others.  I'm not intending to critic what happened, just throwing my comments out here in hopes they may help avoid other accidents.

My left foot got caught under the bike, and I ended up............. dislocating my left ankle.
Ankles are one of the most common breaks in a bike crash.  Truly good motorcycle specific type boots are re-enforced in the the ankle area to prevent lateral movement and other critical areas that a faller rider may be subjected to in a crash.  Always buy the best gear you can afford and wear it.

I didn't notice it at the time, but I also sustained a small break in my left collar bone.  Had I not been wearing all my protective gear, I'm sure I would have been hurt even worse,
Glad you had your gear on.  Gear can't help you if your not wearing it.  I laugh everytime I see someone riding down the road with thier helmet straped to thier bike!

but the left sleeve of my web jacket slid up and allowed me to sustain some bad abrasions on my left elbow.  
That's one of the problems with mesh jackets ..........they must be worn snug to the body with all straps cinched down to avoid moving during an impact,  If it's a loose fit on you, it will not protect you like it should.  I'm glad this topic came up because it has reminded me my mesh jacket sleeve cuffs velcro has worn out and will no longer hold like I want it to.  Time to sew on new velcro or get a new jacket.

...........but I had just put a new rear tire on the bike on Friday.
New tires are very dangerous until scrubbed in.  I always make a habit of washing and scrubbing a new tire with a scotch bright pad with soap and water in an attempt to remove the mold release agent that is left on the tire after the manufacturing process.  The agent, tire lube used to mount the tire and a generally slick smooth surface of the new tire is what can make a tire slip.  I was riding a coulpe of weeks ago and I was shocked how much my bike was sliding in the turns just due to pollen accumulation on the ashpalt road.  Remember............you can't always see road debris that could make your tires slip.  Tires must also be up to tempreture before pushing them very far over.  The tire developes heat by verture of rotation so it's important not to have too much air in them so they heat up fast and stay hot enough while riding to stick reliably.

Nobody wants to have an accident, but I'm mostly just grateful that it wasn't worse.
I agree.............Hope you get back on the bike soon.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 09:24:43 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

wwaggett

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Clear Lake, Texas Always busy doing nothing at all
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2011, 09:29:22 AM »

Mike,

Glad to hear your ok. Gear is a good thing.

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »

David, to answer your question, I was on the X.

Thanks, everybody, for your thoughts and well wishes.

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package

Steamboat

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »

Glad you didn't get hurt worse than you did. Prayers sent for a speedy recovery.
2002 VTX 1800 R BRB (Big Red Bike)

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2011, 04:08:57 PM »

Glad you had you gear on, good luk heal fast ,see you on the road
It's all just part of the adventure!

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2011, 08:51:02 AM »

Been draggin' the knees on the X, huh???   ;D  Take care of yourself and do what the docs tell you, and you'll come out just fine.  If you need us to ride the bikes while you're down, well that's what we're here for!   :thumbup:  Glad to hear it wasn't worse.

zerogs

• Tejano
  • 2003 VTX 1800C R.I.P. Torque
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2011, 04:42:32 PM »

Sorry to hear about the accident. Now you mention about the new tire, it made me think about the BBT trip a few weeks ago. I had just put a new tire on not but a couple days before the trip. Just to imagine it could have happened to anyone myself included.

Ankle is going to hurt like hell for a while but the collar bone will always bother you for a long time. Take it easy lifting things a certain way and you will be fine.  ;)  When i was 20 I broke my left side twice in jet ski accidents. Guess i didn't learn my lesson doing the same trick as the first time.  :stickpoke:

Have a speedy recovery and do what the docs say.
Imagination is the Elixar to life.
Rest in Peace Jacob A.K.A. Torque
12/18/1975-4/29/2009

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2011, 08:20:54 AM »

Mike - You gonna make it to MnG tonight?  I will try to go if you gonna show off your new scar tissue!!

J/K - Hope you doing well now that there has been time for the pain to kick in.  Hang tough buddy!!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

vernjoe

• Old Timer
  • Friendswood, Tx
    • Faythjo Productions
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2011, 01:52:30 PM »

Mike, sorry to read of your mishap but very happy that things were not as bad as could have been.  Hope you have a speedy recovery......
'02 C with a few extras

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2011, 08:49:15 AM »

Mike, sorry to read of your mishap but very happy that things were not as bad as could have been.  Hope you have a speedy recovery......

Who was that masked man?
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

DEMON

« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2011, 09:18:46 PM »

Hey Mike, hope you are healing well. I think I have a turn signal light, I will look for it... is you need any help fixing your bike let meknow if there is anything I can do.

Niterider

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Houston, TX
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2011, 05:57:44 PM »

Thanks for the additional replies.  Sorry I couldn't make it to the M & G last Weds. but I had to be in bed early to get up on time for a doctor's appointment on Thursday.  Too soon to have scars to show off ... just bruises and a cast at this point.  I'll keep everyone posted on progress until I can until I can meet with everyone again in person.

Mike
White '08 GL1800 with ABS, Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Black '03 1800C;  retro bars, RIVCO risers, BBP lightbar, mustang seat, Paladin backrest/luggage rack, etc.
White '06 GL1800 with Nav, Premium Stereo, Comfort Package
Pages: 1 [2] 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal