Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Miles and Repairs??? How is your VTX Running???  (Read 3436 times)

vtxdouger

Miles and Repairs??? How is your VTX Running???
« on: August 26, 2006, 09:58:25 AM »

Just interested in VTX's 1800 riders as to how many miles you have on your bike and what repairs have been done?  Not maintenance, but something that has broken or worn out or a problem you have with the bike and when.   

Thanks,

VTXDouger

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: Miles and Repairs??? How is your VTX Running???
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2006, 10:57:50 AM »

My fuel pump went out at .01 miles.  Other than that, no problems.  I'm just over 5000.

*Closet Darksider*

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2006, 10:59:20 AM »

I think most of us had a heads up on repairs thanks to this board and Vtxoa BEFORE they happened, so we probably have a lower incidence of broken/failures than a comparative group that didn't have knowledge/access to these web sites. I did have a starter button give up on me after the Temple  M&G  this month(49K miles). I run a higher wattage headlight, and had been warned it would happen. I like my lights bright though. I have a "secret" starter button now. I like it much better anyway...if I leave my key in accidentaly, no one can start it up and ride off!
Water pump at 23 K or so, don't remember for sure.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2006, 11:01:18 AM by snake »
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »

Just thought I'd mention...Even running a high wattage bulb, this battery is my original. 2002 R. My last bike, running the higher wattage bulbs, the batteries only lasted about a year- year and a half each.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 11:38:56 AM »

Setting at 24,000 miles and just have had regular maintenance done to the bike! Now I have taken my bike to Tappers and he did the ground frame mod , so no problems with starting. I have my orginal battery and have had no problems with the bike at all. Now I do have a nice dry place for it and cover it up when I don't ride it alot. One thing Tapper told me to do with the bike for which I did was to go around the bike and tighten all the bolts because they will loosen up . 
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 01:07:43 PM »

just a tad over 12000 miles and no problems what so ever. original battery, water pump, and flange bearing.
the only reason i mention those three items is because it seems those topics come up the most. keep up a good maintenence schedule and she'll last a long time. on the national board several have well over 50000 miles and there is at least one that is about to break the 100000 mile mark! :o ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 08:36:47 PM »

I had to replace my fan at 37,000. Oh, and the seat at 500 miles.

vtxdouger

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 10:58:48 AM »

This is good info...yes the board is very helpful in knowing what to do when it breaks and whom to go to.  In my case I have a 2002 1800R and a 2003 1800R and I have had no problems with the 2002 with only 4800 miles on it and have done nothing but change the oil.  On the other hand I have a 2003 I bought used with 47000 miles on it and it  runs great but a little hotter than the 2002 and seems to have more engine noise than the '02.  I am not quite sure why.  Really wanting to get with someone who knows the VTX well enough to talk about it.  I love both bikes and do not want a major problem if I can prevent it.  Hoping to see what else might I expect from both bikes as they age.  Keep sending the info.

Doug

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 11:08:42 AM »

2002 C 15000 miles or so and the only issue I have had mechanically was a bad O rings in the pipe between the cylinders....  I was dribbling all of my green stuff.   ;D  Other than that, basic maint. is all. 

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2006, 01:15:53 PM »

This is good info...yes the board is very helpful in knowing what to do when it breaks and whom to go to.  In my case I have a 2002 1800R and a 2003 1800R and I have had no problems with the 2002 with only 4800 miles on it and have done nothing but change the oil.  On the other hand I have a 2003 I bought used with 47000 miles on it and it  runs great but a little hotter than the 2002 and seems to have more engine noise than the '02.  I am not quite sure why.  Really wanting to get with someone who knows the VTX well enough to talk about it.  I love both bikes and do not want a major problem if I can prevent it.  Hoping to see what else might I expect from both bikes as they age.  Keep sending the info.

Doug
  On your bikes do you run Amsoil?? I have found out that it will for sure make you engine run alot cooler. And for one that can give your bike a full check out is Tapper. When I got my bike it was used with 9500 miles on it. I took it to him and had a check up done and had the valves adjusted. That for sure quietend down the bike alot. No more ticking comming from the engine.  :)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

vtxdouger

« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2006, 01:47:49 PM »

I don't run Amsoil but I do run Mobil 1 for Metric Bikes.  I'm all for it when it comes to Tapper. I think I met Tapper at Stroker's one night but not for sure...lots of VTXers there...Sure if he is interested in giving my bike the once over that would be great!  I would certainly appreciate it.

Doug

Boomer

• Old Timer
  • Ramstein area in Germany
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2006, 07:55:52 AM »

'03 1800R....only have about 9000 miles (2 years in Korea sure slowed it down!)....had to replace the clutch at about 3,000 miles, went with the MTC clutch....thanks to the boards, was able to do it myself without a hitch...and NOT a wrench...

Cheers,
Boomer
'03 1800R, just shiny stuff
"You always want to start out fast, cause you never know when someone might want to race you."  6-year-old future VTXer

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2006, 08:42:52 AM »

My speedo went ka-fluie at about 5000 miles.  The odometer worked fine tho.  Honda replaced it under warrenty.
My now long gone VTX...

SeaRider

• Old Timer
  • College Station, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2006, 09:58:27 AM »

7200 miles with no problems except for the cap over the sidestand bolt disappeared one day. 
2008 Goldwing Level 4 - Dark Red Metallic
2005 VTX 1800F Spec 1 - Silver Tribal
RIDE SAFE  -  RIDE FREE!!

vtxdouger

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2006, 10:23:22 AM »

That reminds me...that happened to me too. I was just washing the bike and while drying it off with a towl, you know shining the chrome up real nice..the cap just fell right off.  The cheap plastic hooks where it snaps in just broke right off.  I took it to Honda and asked nicely for another and they gave it to me.  Of course, I spent over $60,000 in toys from that store in the past 10 years so the customer service was always great for me!

Doug
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal