Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about hitting curb  (Read 1140 times)

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Question about hitting curb
« on: December 19, 2010, 05:09:17 PM »

Not a mechanic so hoping one of you motor heads might be able to help, my son hit a curb, we were under the car a good part of the day and I can't actually see the problem.

So I was going home and I took a corner way too fast and ended up hitting a curb going pretty fast... probably 40 mph.

Front suspension seemed all messed up but it was able to limp home. The steering was really loose, steering wheel was turned half a turn to the right to go straight, wandering, weirdness on full lock, etc.

By some amazing happening only the left inner tie rod was bent. (supposedly... according to alignment shop... I have doubts though) Replaced that, got an alignment and now its a lot better than before.

The only problem is the rear. When I hopped up on the curb the left rear wheel took a beating and now looks like it has negative camber (so the wheel is tilted like /) and is toed out just a bit. I have to steer a bit to the left to go straight.

As far as chassis damage goes... crossmember, subframe, strut mounts... is there anything else I need to worry about? That's all I really care about - I want to get this car back to how it was before. I don't mind replacing suspension arms... I just don't want any serious damage. I guess I should take it to a good alignment shop and let them do some measuring.

After being under the car it seemed like the half shaft or maybe struts are bent? Not sure... any ideas?
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
Re: Question about hitting curb
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 07:21:23 PM »

check tie rods, if he hit at 40mph i would check wheel bearings, control arm, and ball joints, what car he drives???
just take it slow

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »

check tie rods, if he hit at 40mph i would check wheel bearings, control arm, and ball joints, what car he drives???

240SX

Thanks for the reply Alejandro, I have talked him into bringing it into our mechanic, they have done us good for years. At least they can tell him what is wrong and if we want to do the work or have it done.
Thanks again.
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2010, 05:24:45 PM »

i dont have ways to do aligment, but have plenty of tools and space to work on it  :crazy:
just take it slow

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2010, 08:27:36 PM »

Thanks buddy, got it in the shop, waiting on results  :thumbup:

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 08:03:17 AM »

240SX  Hummmmmm!    $$$$$$$$$$$$$   :ohwow: :ohwow:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2010, 08:14:31 AM »

It's a sweet little ride, we looked at them all over the country and this one was like it just came off the show room floor.
That's what happens when you think your speed racer  ;D Good news is it will be his $$$$$$$$$$$$$ NOT mine.

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2010, 10:36:24 PM »

"The only problem is the rear. When I hopped up on the curb the left rear wheel took a beating and now looks like it has negative camber (so the wheel is tilted like /) and is toed out just a bit. I have to steer a bit to the left to go straight. "

Bent rear axle housing? ? ?
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

DEMON

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2010, 11:07:03 PM »

if you did an alignment and the print out said is with in spects, I would not worry about it.  does it drive straight? 

alejandro1800vtx

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 03:28:37 PM »

It's a sweet little ride, we looked at them all over the country and this one was like it just came off the show room floor.
That's what happens when you think your speed racer  ;D Good news is it will be his $$$$$$$$$$$$$ NOT mine.

thats what she say  :t :t :t :t :t
just take it slow

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal