Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Rider Advice  (Read 1493 times)

slapshot

• Trailer Queen
New Rider Advice
« on: December 15, 2010, 09:10:04 AM »

I grew up riding a Honda 150 and 250 on the trails in upper Michigan.  It has now been about 20 years since I last sat on a bike but I am looking to get a street bike.

In speaking with a few friends of mine who have bikes I have been told to get nothing less than an 1100.  However, two of my friends whom have a V-Star 1100 said that after a year they learned their error as they were ready to upgrade to a minimum of a 1300.

So, my question... For someone who has not ridden in quite some time, would I have any issues starting on a 1300 or 1800?  I do not want to end up in the same position they were after a year, but am not certain if the bike could be "too much" for someone who has not ridden anything larger than a 250.  I am 6'1", 250 lbs so I do not want a "little" bike.  I plan to take a motorcycle safety course to get re-acquainted with riding a bike.

I have been looking at most makes of bike and am leaning strongly to the VTX 1800 or 1300.  I like the dual front brakes and extra power on the 1800, but could grab a 1300 if the price was right.

Should I worry about the size of the bike?  Or, just find the one I like and go with it?

U-Turn

• Tejano
  • U-Turn and Silver - 2006 VTX 1300S
Re: New Rider Advice
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 09:21:21 AM »

Howdy and welcome to the board!

When I was ready to get my first real bike a few years back I headed into the store knowing exactly what I wanted (or so I thought).  I jumped on "The Bike", took a quick demo ride and was terribly disappointed.  The feel was not what I was expecting.

I had a great sales guy and he saw my reaction and went to get a different bike for me to try.  When I first saw it, I told him I didn't like it, but he suggested that since he brought it around, I should go ahead and demo it.  I jumped on thinking I would not like the ride, but I was totally wrong!  It felt right, it fit and ended up being the perfect bike for me.

The point of my story is to try and not have a predetermined bike.  Go out and ride several and you'll find the one that feels right to you.  It may well be a 1300 or 1800, or it may even be an 1100.  You'll know the right bike when you get the chance to sit on it, twist the throttle and ride.

Good Luck!,
U-Turn

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 09:24:10 AM »

You're on a V-Twin board, so no need to worry about too much bike for you.  :thumbup:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

slapshot

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 09:41:47 AM »

U-Turn,
Thank you. Your advice is well taken and very much appreciated.   

I have yet to ride one yet as I need to get my motorcycle license before I test ride.  I have been to many shops and sat on basically every make of bike over the past few months.  Although I like its lines, I definitely do not like the Suzuki models as I have sat on them and they just do not feel right at all.  The same goes for the Kawasakis.  After much research I do not feel I am a Harley fan either.  So, I have narrowed it down to the Yamahas and Hondas. 

I guess the final decision will be made when I actually take one for a ride, as you mentioned.

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:46:51 AM »

I grew up riding a Honda 150 and 250 on the trails in upper Michigan.  It has now been about 20 years since I last sat on a bike but I am looking to get a street bike.

In speaking with a few friends of mine who have bikes I have been told to get nothing less than an 1100.  However, two of my friends whom have a V-Star 1100 said that after a year they learned their error as they were ready to upgrade to a minimum of a 1300.
It's common( and smart) to start back into motorcycling with a smaller bike to build confidence and handling skills.  It's really going to be a factor of how confident YOU are with a bike rather than someone elses opnion of what you should do or the power level of the bike.  At your height and weight, just about any crusier will not be a problem for you because you will be able to flat foot it at a stop.  As far as power,  power delivery is a function of throttle control.  Anyone with common sence can control a powerful bike.  Just use your head and not so much right hand and you'll be fine.  

So, my question... For someone who has not ridden in quite some time, would I have any issues starting on a 1300 or 1800?  I do not want to end up in the same position they were after a year, but am not certain if the bike could be "too much" for someone who has not ridden anything larger than a 250.  I am 6'1", 250 lbs so I do not want a "little" bike.  I plan to take a motorcycle safety course to get re-acquainted with riding a bike.
Bang for your buck , the 1300 is a great bike and has good power for it's weight.  The 1800 is not a lot more powerful but has more potential than the 1300 does if you want to hot rod it latter.

I have been looking at most makes of bike and am leaning strongly to the VTX 1800 or 1300.  I like the dual front brakes and extra power on the 1800, but could grab a 1300 if the price was right.

Should I worry about the size of the bike?
I wouldn't and I'm only 5'6" and I ride an 1800.

Or, just find the one I like and go with it?
Go for it.
You have your head in the right place by wanting to take a rider saftey course.  Do so for your benifit. But before that, spend a lot of time in empty parking lots on very slow speed manuvers.  That will build a lot of confindence for you.  Never stop trying to be a better rider.  If you accept the fact you can always learn something more to make you a better and safer rider and practice that approach everytime you get on a bike, you will be all the better for it.  

« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 11:55:22 AM by bluestreak »
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »

My advice is get the biggest bike that you can afford. Yes, at the beginning it will be intimidating, but you will grow in to the bike. I agree with your friends that wish they bought the bigger bike. It happened to me when I bought my first bike, which was a Kawasaki Vulcan 700. I was able to afford bigger, but was intimidated. Taking the ridding courses is an excellent idea. I have taken the beginner and the advanced courses. It is worth the money.
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 05:46:57 PM »

My advice is get the biggest bike that you can afford. Yes, at the beginning it will be intimidating, but you will grow in to the bike. I agree with your friends that wish they bought the bigger bike. It happened to me when I bought my first bike, which was a Kawasaki Vulcan 700. I was able to afford bigger, but was intimidated. Taking the ridding courses is an excellent idea. I have taken the beginner and the advanced courses. It is worth the money.

In 2005 I decided to buy a bike. I had sold my last bike in the late '70's (a Suzuki RE-5, yep the rotary engine). At age 55, 225 lbs and 5' 12" I looked around and bought an 03 1800 S. I was surprised how quickly I got comfortable with it and was very glad I had not bought a 750 or 900. I'm sure a 1300 would have been just fine but the 1800 is a blast.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Good luck to you.
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »

I think bluestreak hit on the head, doesn't matter the size of the bike, if you don't twist the throttle the bike don't go. I did the same thing, I quit riding years ago, bought a 1800 when I decided to ride again. Spent time on a parking lot getting used to the bike at slow speed, Practiced  180 degree turns then 360's figure 8's also practice stops , then quick stops. I then just rode around in my neighborhood before I got on a medium busy road. Take your time and get used to the bike before you get on a busy street. The first thing you will notice is the weight of the bike will give you a tendancy of taking turns too wide. but you will soon get used to it. When you do get on the street, WATCH THE OTHER GUY, NEVER EXPECT THE CAR DRIVER TO DO WHAT HE IS SUPPOSED TO DO, BECAUSE SOON OR LATER HE WON'T. drive defensive to the max. good luck and if you buy an X let us know and welcome to the board.
It's all just part of the adventure!

vtxcrzr

• Old Timer
  • New Braunfels, TX Black 1800C
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 06:05:18 PM »

When I bought my VTX1800 I hadn't ridden a bike regularly for more than 10 years.  I walked into the show room, purchased my 1800, did two laps around the dealership parking lot and then drove nearly 80 miles on a blend of interstate and twisties to get home. By the time I got home the bike was like an old friend.  Like everything in life its all in your head.  If you think the bike will be too big for you to handle then it will be.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 06:32:45 PM »

Welcome!!
 I have been in the same situation you are in. I grew up riding small mini bikes Z50s and trail 70s. Rode a Yamaha yz80 or my brothers but other than that until I got my 1st rode bike that is all I had riden. My first bike was a 1979 GL1000, Got it in 1983. Rode it up and down a oil top road for about two weeks to get the feel of it and took the test/rode test. Had the bike for about 5 years and sold it. I didn't ride for at least 10 years and knew I could handle a 1000 so bought a Honda 1100 Shadow spirit, Bad move!! I felt like I was riding a mini bike! Sold it within 7 months and looked at the 1300s and 1800s and figured 500cc isn't that much more to handle so 1800 it was. Fit me just fine!!
 Small or big they both have two wheels and go as fast as you twist the throttle. Hondas 1800 is a very balanced motorcycle.Good luck on your ride!! need any help there are alot of great people to lend a hand!!  8)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »

In 2005 I decided to buy a bike. I had sold my last bike in the late '70's (a Suzuki RE-5, yep the rotary engine). At age 55, 225 lbs and 5' 12" I looked around and bought an 03 1800 S. I was surprised how quickly I got comfortable with it and was very glad I had not bought a 750 or 900. I'm sure a 1300 would have been just fine but the 1800 is a blast.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Good luck to you.

Humm!
 :rofl: :rofl: :good:
Did you go to school in Houston or Dallas?   :stickpoke: :boxing: :pot:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2010, 08:57:44 PM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 09:36:07 PM »

just my .02 but i've seen it go both ways. i think going smaller to begin with is a good choice. less intimidating, easier to manipulate, and with the less power a little more forgiving if any accidental quick turns of the right hand. i believe the biggest mistake people make is going out and buying a BRAND NEW small bike and then regretting it. buy used, something you can pay cash for and ride for a few months and gain skill and confidence and potentially not lose any money on when selling. a couple of examples towards my point. buddy bought brand new kawi nomad, all the bells and whistles, after taking his safety class on 250cc bikes. i actually ride the bike home for him because he is nervous about riding a big bike for the first time. this was 3 years ago and he has a grand total of 1800 miles on the bike now. after many a conversation he admits he should have started smaller and is just plain scared of the bike. another friend got his brand new yamaha, can't remeber the model but it was the big one, rode the bike roughly six weeks and laid it over coming around a turn in his neighborhood in some gravel. after that he was totally scared of the bike and sold it a couple of months later and lost money. this is just my personal experience and like i said i've seen it both ways. when i got back into riding i bought an 85 kawi 700 for $1200 and rode it for about 6 months and sold it for $1200. next bike was a 2000 honda 1100 for $3800 and rode it for a year and half and sold if for $3200. either way good luck and let us know what you decide on. BTW good choice on taking the class.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

no-one

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2010, 06:49:03 AM »

i too bought a v-star 1100 and traded it for an 1800 1 year later. my biggest issue with the v-star was the hi frequency vibration at highway speeds. other wise the bike was comfortable and perform ok though not in the same class as the 1800. i really love the 1800 just wish it got the fuel mileage of the v-star.
go take the Motorcycle Safety Foundation class.

Quick-Silver

• Old Timer
  • Canyon Lake, Tx
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2010, 09:04:35 AM »

For me the hard part of learning to ride was keeping the bike balanced in curves and in turns. The other thing was learning to pay attention to traffic without losing control of the bike.

Since you grew up on dirt bikes you are already mentally conditioned to balancing bikes and to being able to thing about all the goings on around you while operating the bike.  It's like riding a bicycle.  The skills are there, they just need waking up.

Take the rider safety course.  Renting a bike before you buy could be the best $150 a day you will ever spend.  Start off slow and easy and try to avoid the racetrack express ways until your comfort level improves.

If you can buy used for cash from an individual you can save about 50% in overall cost of the endeavor!  Buy in the off season and note, Bling has very little to no resale value!

These are just my thoughts on the matter.  Others will agree and disagree.

Have Fun!
Jerry Maler
07 Honda GL1800 Goldwing - Silver

Snake Doc

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • San Antonio
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »

Just my $0.02 worth.

Good luck to you.

Humm!
 :rofl: :rofl: :good:
Did you go to school in Houston or Dallas?   :stickpoke: :boxing: :pot:

Hooter, my bad. I went to night school and can't do math during the day.
My three favorite boxers:
1905-1974 James J. "Cinderella Man" Braddock
2006 Goldwing Nav
2020 Subaru Forester Touring
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal