Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Road trip  (Read 831 times)

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
Road trip
« on: August 22, 2010, 04:11:15 PM »

I am taking off on my first long road trip in about 15 years around 3K miles total maybe a little more any advice on what to take with
I have a pretty good mini tool kit but what else would you take?

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
Re: Road trip
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 04:59:35 PM »

if you got a 1300, take a space clutch cable, takes up zero space.  If you break on while on the road, you will be waiting a few days for a replacement.

gas sucking tube device of some type... in case you run out of gas.

small tool set, of wrenches and hex will come in handy, some type of all in one screwdriver,

and for anything really MAJOR!  pack a CC of your choice, in case you have to rent a u-haul to get home....

Things i took on my last trip that were nice to have, a good road atlas.  I got this one Harley-Davidson® Ride Atlas of North America (2nd Edition)  and for $20 buck it's not bad.  Also taking my camel back was a great idea!  being able to drink while on the road is a life saver!

Things i wish i would have brought!  Some type of bag liner for my saddle bags!  having to remove and reattach the saddle bag's every evening and morning was a royal pain, esp if the hotel room was on the 2nd floor.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 08:35:48 PM »

Emergency flat repair kit. Rain gear with rain boots. Windshield cleaner.

Where are you going and when?

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 08:58:50 PM »

Leaving Sept.4th for Tampa FL. plan on spending a few days at my Father in laws I might go to Key West for a day or two not sure yet I need to be back home by the 14th to go back to work on the 15th.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:28:45 PM »

I would install a pigtail on the battery, get one of those cigarette lighter adapters to plug in to it when needed (auto zone), then you can  charge cell phone with car adapter if needed and all sorts of other things, I also have a little double aa battery charger that plugs in to the cigarette adapter (office depot), extra bungee cords, micro fiber cloth, magic wrap a silicone tape (Home Depot) all are little things that take up very little space but have come in handy on a rides and trips in the past.

Sherri

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

TxVTXMike

• Rider
    • M&M eBiz
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 05:34:23 AM »

Pack a xtra credit card/cash in a separate place than your primary ones.

Bug spray & toilet paper for any side of the road unplanned extended stays or emergencies.
Mike in Dallas ( http://tinyurl.com/yrmbxz )
'06 VTX 1800R Spec 2

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 07:22:11 PM »

So far I have a tool kit replacement bulbs (Head light/tail/turn signal) mic fuses/electrical tape/spark plugs/throttle cables CO2 air Kit with tire patches.
not sure if I should take it but I have a brand new drive flange also. what else would you take?

As far as cloths will take the basic stuff I also have rain gear should I take my leather jacket I know its fricken hot out side but you never know.

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 10:32:07 AM »

So far I have a tool kit replacement bulbs (Head light/tail/turn signal) mic fuses/electrical tape/spark plugs/throttle cables CO2 air Kit with tire patches.
not sure if I should take it but I have a brand new drive flange also. what else would you take?

As far as cloths will take the basic stuff I also have rain gear should I take my leather jacket I know its fricken hot out side but you never know.

taking the extra jacket, where are you going?  Are you going to be doing any riding in higher elevations?

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2010, 03:54:05 PM »

From TX to Florida

hmm... the leather jacket might be overkill...

On my last trip, it took the temps dropping into the 60's for me to change out of my mesh jacket into my non mesh textile jacket.  It took up extra space, but i was glad i brought both jackets!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal