Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help!! She won't start!  (Read 1952 times)

JohnBones

• Trailer Queen
Help!! She won't start!
« on: July 18, 2010, 05:07:07 PM »

My 07 1300s won't start.  This morning I fired her up in the garage and went inside to grab some things and she died while i was inside.  When I came back out and tried to restart her she wouldn't fire.  She was low on gas but not in reserve.  She just won't fire.  I put more gas in and checked spark plugs but no start.  I pulled a plug wire and did a spark test and I could see a spark which leads me to believe there is a fuel problem.  Also while trying to start her I smelled the exhaust and could not smell as much raw gas as I thought I should have smelled.  She is under warranty but Honda won't be open till Tuesday.  Any thoughts?  Tests?  Anything?  The only fueses I saw were in a block on the side of the seat and they were all good.  Again I suspect a fuel Issue.  Please someone help me as now all my HD friends are Raggin me.   ??? :ohwow: :banghead: :cuss: :flag:
Wherever you go. There you are.

07 VTX 1300S

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
Re: Help!! She won't start!
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2010, 05:29:06 PM »

Turn the fuel petcock on!  :couch:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

JohnBones

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2010, 05:44:23 PM »

Turned it on, then reserve, then off (thought she was flooded), then reserve, then on again.  I ride so much I just leave it on.
 :flag:

07 VTX 1300S

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2010, 05:45:17 PM »

Check the vacumn line on the other side of the petcock could have came loose
Alvin,Texas

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2010, 06:01:19 PM »

+1 on what Larry said. If the vacuum line is connected at the petcock, follow it to the tee at the other end and make sure that's connected. I've seen them come loose at both ends, and the result is exactly what you're experiencing
02 1800C

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 06:43:19 PM »

+1 on what Larry said. If the vacuum line is connected at the petcock, follow it to the tee at the other end and make sure that's connected. I've seen them come loose at both ends, and the result is exactly what you're experiencing

Yup, same thing happened to me the other night coming home from the meet and greet. Vacume line came loose from the petcock.

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 07:10:23 PM »

Some times the vaccume line will have a crack in it and this will prevent fuel flow.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »

I have a 07 R myself and went through all the routines of vacuum lines, my bet is if you try to start it again in the morning and it fires up you have the (documented) fuel petcock issue this link will show you how to fix it, I did this and haven't had a problem since. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227634&highlight=fuel+petcock+issue

My symptoms were the bike would start then die after about 1 - 2 minutes,  like it had ran out of gas, choke and it would fire up but die, then would not start again.  I replaced every vacuum line on the bike and still had the problem, then went to the battery connections, checked ground. Found a recall on the petcock, called Honda they said it had already been replaced before it made it to dealership. (NO WAY) this petcock was defective.

Good luck
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 07:34:24 PM by Gumbo »
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:31:38 PM »

Does that bike use the vaccume powered petcock? I had a vfr like that.  Drove me nuts till I figuered out what to look for.

*Closet Darksider*

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 07:50:01 PM »

I have a 07 R myself and went through all the routines of vacuum lines, my bet is if you try to start it again in the morning and it fires up you have the (documented) fuel petcock issue this link will show you how to fix it, I did this and haven't had a problem since. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227634&highlight=fuel+petcock+issue

My symptoms were the bike would start then die after about 1 - 2 minutes,  like it had ran out of gas, choke and it would fire up but die, then would not start again.  I replaced every vacuum line on the bike and still had the problem, then went to the battery connections, checked ground. Found a recall on the petcock, called Honda they said it had already been replaced before it made it to dealership. (NO WAY) this petcock was defective.

Good luck

Good one Gumbo! I'll have to remember how to do that in case Susie's 1300 pulls this crap.  :notworthy: :notworthy:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

JohnBones

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 10:23:18 PM »

In limited light I can tell the vaccum line is good at the petcock and the 'T'  but i will go further with it in the morning.

07 VTX 1300S

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 09:56:32 AM »

John, keep us posted. I have been having multiple issues with my lady, but I have not had time to work on her.
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 10:29:04 AM »

I would say before you drive yourself crazy. Make sure it will start on starting spray. That way you are chasing down the right issue.

Good Luck and let us know what you find out.

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

JohnBones

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »

:cool2:  Ok so now I'm totally confused.  Bought starter fluid and after 3 or 4 tiny squirts she started and after a little throttle play she ran like a champ!  took her for a short ride and she ran like a dream.  I wonder if there was something blocking the fuel line of maybe a small enough vaccum leak where it wouldn't turn over?  I have no clue.  Thinking about taking her in since she is still under warranty.  IDK. :bikerider: :flag:

07 VTX 1300S

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 12:37:07 PM »

if you flooded her, the starting fluid would have fixed it. Sometimes it's the simple things. I would make sure its not going to happen again.  Keep us up dated.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal