Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: I don't know what the hell happened...  (Read 1848 times)

Railroader

• Old Timer
  • ORANGE is the fastest color!
I don't know what the hell happened...
« on: July 14, 2010, 08:46:48 PM »

I took my bike out of the garage to heads over to the meet and greet. I haven't riden it in about a month and a half(i know thats a sin).  When I fired it up the battery was real weak but had barely enough juice to start the bike. So the bikes running but was making a strange noise I had never heard before....Like something internal. I shut the bike off (via the key) and double checked the oil to make sure I didnt have internal engine parts grinding together, even though the sound wasnt that harsh. Oil was good so when I went to start it again I turned on the key and have absolutely no power to anything. Everything is slap Cranberries dead....  I put a charger on it and the charger acted haywire like something was shorted out so i took it off. I removed the battery from the bike i put it back on the charger and the charger worked normal, so im thinking something somwhere in the start circuit must have a short. It was hot outside and I was pissed so I didnt dig into it, but I did check the kill switch. It was in the proper position. I'm probably not going to fool with it till this weekend but I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. 
After thinking about it a while the sound I heard sounded a lot like maybe the starter not disengaging from the ring gear...i dont know

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
Re: I don't know what the hell happened...
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2010, 09:31:07 PM »

I would check and clean the battery terminals and the cable ends.

Then go from there.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2010, 10:07:58 PM »

After thinking about it a while the sound I heard sounded a lot like maybe the starter not disengaging from the ring gear...i dont know

That sounds very possible. The starter relay is stuck in the closed position making contact to the starter. That's a possibality for the charger to act the way it did. You have the battery out charging at the moment (it sounds that way), When you reinstall the battery and try hooking the cables up and it starts trying to turn the motor over immediately then the starter relay is your problem.
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Railroader

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 06:34:07 PM »

Thanx for the replies guys. When I dig into it this weekend i'll report my findings.

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2010, 06:41:31 PM »

figure that the battery is dead, have it tested. most likely suspect.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2010, 09:33:06 PM »

Thanx for the replies guys. When I dig into it this weekend i'll report my findings.

I was going to say bring it to the tech session, but you can't start it  :redcard: Got a trailer  ???
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2010, 10:28:43 PM »

Check to make sure your starter button is not sticking against the control housing, too.  It happened to me after I put on the new chrome switch housings...made a funky sound. 

hooter

• Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 07:26:13 AM »

Check to make sure your starter button is not sticking against the control housing, too.  It happened to me after I put on the new chrome switch housings...made a funky sound. 

If you put the battery in and turn on the key and your kill switch by your thottle is on then check the switch if it tries to start, or starts turning over by itself. Good one Jason, hasn't happened to me but a damn good thought!  :agree:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 08:03:34 AM »

I was going to say bring it to the tech session, but you can't start it  :redcard: Got a trailer  ???

Push start is always an option.  Been there a few times.
Chunk the llama.

RedDragon

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 08:05:10 AM »

Push start is always an option.  Been there a few times.
:redcard: As long as you have buddies there to push you!  :stickpoke:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

Railroader

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2010, 07:00:52 AM »

OK.. Battery hot and engine turns over with the key off and not pushing the start button. Starter relay maybe?  If so...where is it?

Dusty

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 09:43:04 AM »

OK.. Battery hot and engine turns over with the key off and not pushing the start button. Starter relay maybe?  If so...where is it?

It's under the left side cover. I replaced mine with a relay off of a Honda 12v lawn mower $15 instead of $85. Best I remember, it was a tad bit bigger and I had to put new wire ends on but other than that, it still works.

DEMON

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 10:04:56 AM »

It's under the left side cover. I replaced mine with a relay off of a Honda 12v lawn mower $15 instead of $85. Best I remember, it was a tad bit bigger and I had to put new wire ends on but other than that, it still works.

:notworthy:

Railroader

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 01:54:34 PM »

Ok.  I removed the starter relay and checked it wifh an ohm meter to see if it was closed or not. Meter showed it wasnt, so for shits and grins I wired everything back up and everything works fine now. I think I'm going to replace the relay anyway.  Thanks for all the input folks! :good:

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 02:14:53 PM »

Ok.  I removed the starter relay and checked it wifh an ohm meter to see if it was closed or not. Meter showed it wasnt, so for shits and grins I wired everything back up and everything works fine now. I think I'm going to replace the relay anyway.  Thanks for all the input folks! :good:
That will be $385.29!! Thanks You and have a nice day!!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal