Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: my TV stop working...  (Read 888 times)

DEMON

my TV stop working...
« on: June 29, 2010, 09:04:16 PM »

I know is not motorcycle related but I figure I would ask any way.  I have a samsung DLP tv and it stop working, the tv one day just lost the picture and sound would still come out.  By following the trouble shooting and the codes it gives with the lights, it says that the light bulb was bad, so I replaced the light bulb, still no picture, it makes a sound like the hard drive wants to come on but then it flashes the codes that the light is till not working, but no picture...  the trouble shooting guide says that if the light bulb is new then it must be the ballast...  I ordered a new ballast.  Hope this is the part that will fix my problem.  I already spend $187 in parts ($87 for the light bulb and $100 for the ballast)  if this does not fix the problem I'll have to buy a new TV.

has any of you had a TV repaired before?

Any idea what could it be if is not the ballast? 

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: my TV stop working...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 09:30:52 PM »

Nope, I am on my 6th bulb though.  I really hope this thing lasts another couple of years.....If you do have to buy another tv, look at dell.com.

*Closet Darksider*

GOG

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 09:57:26 PM »

I have a Samsung DLP. Mine went out about 2 years ago. Was watching it and the picture suddenly got blurry and then went blank. It only hummed after that for about 3 sec every time I turned it on. Turns out my color wheel shattered. They are glass and spin at something like 10k rpm while the TV is on. Thankfully it was under warranty still. Guy that fixed it said it would have been about $1600 if I had to pay it.
On yours, do you see the bulb come on if you look through the grill covering the lamp on the back? If it is coming on then it is probably something more complicated. If not then it very likely is the ballast. Good luck.

"There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have erased this line.."

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 12:42:32 AM »

If something happens to our TV I will just have to chunk it and buy another one. They have great prices now a days.

Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

DEMON

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:59:14 AM »

I have a Samsung DLP. Mine went out about 2 years ago. Was watching it and the picture suddenly got blurry and then went blank. It only hummed after that for about 3 sec every time I turned it on. Turns out my color wheel shattered. They are glass and spin at something like 10k rpm while the TV is on. Thankfully it was under warranty still. Guy that fixed it said it would have been about $1600 if I had to pay it.
On yours, do you see the bulb come on if you look through the grill covering the lamp on the back? If it is coming on then it is probably something more complicated. If not then it very likely is the ballast. Good luck.

the bulb does not come on at all.  I hope it is the ballast... i don't want to buy a new TV if i don't have to.

Xulli

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 12:15:06 PM »

I know is not motorcycle related but I figure I would ask any way.  I have a samsung DLP tv and it stop working, the tv one day just lost the picture and sound would still come out.  By following the trouble shooting and the codes it gives with the lights, it says that the light bulb was bad, so I replaced the light bulb, still no picture, it makes a sound like the hard drive wants to come on but then it flashes the codes that the light is till not working, but no picture...  the trouble shooting guide says that if the light bulb is new then it must be the ballast...  I ordered a new ballast.  Hope this is the part that will fix my problem.  I already spend $187 in parts ($87 for the light bulb and $100 for the ballast)  if this does not fix the problem I'll have to buy a new TV.

has any of you had a TV repaired before?

Any idea what could it be if is not the ballast?  

I have the answer to all your tv problems

Did you Plug in the Power cord  ???
Isaac M.
2012 Blue Imp.  victory XC
Galveston, Texas

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 12:21:08 PM »

If it wasn't plugged in, he wouldn't be able to get the codes. I would say yes, it is probably the ballast.

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2010, 12:25:34 PM »

Do they still have people that even repair TV's and depending how old it is may not even be worth doing.We just bought a new 47" LED TV great picture and very thin not like the old one we had.
Alvin,Texas

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal