Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Near Miss  (Read 1020 times)

XRaymondX

• Old Timer
  • Bullard, TX
Near Miss
« on: May 25, 2010, 06:29:01 AM »

While I was riding down HWY 69 going into Tyler this morning on the way to work, a corvette pulled onto the HWY in front of me just before Loop 49.

About the time he hit speed, the roof of the car popped up and flipped about 20 feet in the air.  It did several slow motion flips and landed in the road in front of me.  I saw it happening and was able to slow down a little to decide where it was going to land.  I swerved around it and kept going.  A second faster, and it would have probably taken my head off.

I don't think that the owner of the corvette was as blessed as I was this morning.  I'm pretty sure that the car behind me ran over his roof before he could go back and get it.

Thank God for His protection.

Raymond
'02 VraTX 1800C - Retro Apocalyptic, "Road Warrior", Rat Bike.  Did it myself and love it. 

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
Re: Near Miss
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 06:43:39 AM »

That qualifies as Maximum Pucker Factor, glad you dodged that disaster. 
It's all just part of the adventure!

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 07:34:31 AM »

Glad that turned out good for you anyway. I was just in Mineola this weekend to see my Mother. I am in Tyler quite a bit maybe we can ride together sometimes.

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 07:56:32 AM »

Glad your ok. Got to love those close calls....
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 09:17:26 AM »

Whew, that was a close one...glad you were not going faster then your guardian angel was flying.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2010, 12:38:39 PM »

That qualifies as Maximum Pucker Factor, glad you dodged that disaster. 

:agree:

Glad to hear that nothing happened to you
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »

Did you happen to see what style Corvette it was? The first year C6 (2005) had a adhesive issue on the tops, and they were delaminating and coming off at speed.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

XRaymondX

• Old Timer
  • Bullard, TX
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 06:17:23 AM »

I didn't notice the style.  They all look the same to me.  It used to be the same with bikes until I started riding.  My wife still thinks we all look the same.

Good ride in this morning though.  Nobody threw any corvette tops, cigarette butts, beer cans, or lane changing cages at me.
'02 VraTX 1800C - Retro Apocalyptic, "Road Warrior", Rat Bike.  Did it myself and love it. 

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 07:04:45 AM »

The first year C6 (2005) had a adhesive issue on the tops, and they were delaminating and coming off at speed.

Glad to know this bit of info, I think I'll just put the corvettes on the same list as the semi trucks to stay away from while on the highway
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 07:43:07 AM »

The first year C6 (2005) had a adhesive issue on the tops, and they were delaminating and coming off at speed.

Glad to know this bit of info, I think I'll just put the corvettes on the same list as the semi trucks to stay away from while on the highway

I would agree. The issue was handled in a recall that gradually covered most of the cars built that year, (including mine), but you'd never want to be behind the guy that "didn't get the memo"...   :ohwow:
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

Steamboat

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »

I've seen tires and wheels come off vehiclees before,but never have seen the top come off. Thanks for sharing this information. Glad you didn't get injured.........
2002 VTX 1800 R BRB (Big Red Bike)

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal