Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: ATV - What size engine  (Read 1479 times)

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
ATV - What size engine
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:54:48 AM »

Whats a good size?  THinking of picking up an ATV off of craigslist, but not sure what size to get.  I see a lot of 400's. any opinions?
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
Re: ATV - What size engine
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »

I think 400 is more than enough.  My son has a 250 and it is enough for me, but it is tricked for racing.
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

Isorg

• Administrator
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2007 1300c, 2002 Yamaha fz1
    • Izzy's Mind
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 12:39:19 PM »

Whats a good size?  THinking of picking up an ATV off of craigslist, but not sure what size to get.  I see a lot of 400's. any opinions?
I think with a 400 you will lose traction before you loose pulling/climbing power...  and if you get one with a selectiable gear range, and 2x4 or 4x4 modes....

I used to have a Suzuki quad with High, low, super low, 2x4, 4x4, and diferental lock....  you put that thing in super low, and dif lock...it is going to go forward.... with you on it or not!

2007 1300c VTX
2002 Yamaha FZ1
2007 FJR1300

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 03:08:18 PM »

GO BIG, Bigger the better, WUF WUF!
It's all just part of the adventure!

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 04:45:07 PM »

:redcard:  mine is a Grizzly 660. That was as big as they made in a single.  More torque low end I think. Mine has been problem free and not babied.   
GO BIG, Bigger the better, WUF WUF!
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »

Buy the Razor S hauls Cranberries and loads of fun
Alvin,Texas

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:30:27 PM »

:agree:
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

matap

• Board
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 09:14:50 PM »

thanks for all the input.  I what i definetly want to avoid is too small of an atv.  If i find bigger for the right price then I'll jump it.  But i'm torn between that and getting another bike.  ???

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 06:44:16 AM »

thanks for all the input.  I what i definetly want to avoid is too small of an atv.  If i find bigger for the right price then I'll jump it.  But i'm torn between that and getting another bike.  ???

Where and how often would you ride a atv. That's the question. If you have a farm or a deer camp,then maybe you'll use it or doyou want to go to a motopark or sumthing. I have ridden them and they are fun but I don't know where I would take one here to ride it.
It's all just part of the adventure!

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 08:20:16 AM »

Stay away from the Polaris and artic cat. Everyone we have ridden with has had major trouble with them. Honda or Yamaha is the only way to go.  I have a foreman 500 and a grizzly 350,both are 4wd.
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

matap

• Board
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 12:03:38 PM »

Where and how often would you ride a atv. That's the question. If you have a farm or a deer camp,then maybe you'll use it or doyou want to go to a motopark or sumthing. I have ridden them and they are fun but I don't know where I would take one here to ride it.

well, that's kind of what I'm thinking.  I have a buddy that has an atv and rides maybe 4 times a year on these 2/3 day atv treks and they camp out, basically roughing it out.  That is really appealling to me, but i don't have an atv.  so i figured if i could get myself a used one that is 4x4 and in good running shape, don't care about cosmetically, and pay it cash i don't mind it just sitting around to be used about 4 times a year, then, there is the bike thing. 

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal