Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Saddlebag Recommendations Please  (Read 2382 times)

Mikeman796

• Trailer Queen
Saddlebag Recommendations Please
« on: May 09, 2010, 12:33:00 PM »

Hey guys.  I just purchased my VTX 1800R two months ago.  So far it has been phenominal.  I am looking to add some saddlebags in the next month or so.  I like the hard leather hondaline bags, but they are pretty expensive, especially when you include the mounting equipment.  I found some good looking bags on vikingbags.com.  Reviews are pretty favorable, but the general complaint is that the mounting kit sucks.  I was wondering if anyone had any of these bags, and if the quality is good.  I am willing to pay more for bags if the quality matches the price.  Let me know if you have any suggestions on saddlebags for me to look at, or if you have any reviews regarding viking saddlebags.  Thanks alot

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
Re: Saddlebag Recommendations Please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 01:29:28 PM »

I have the Honda line bags and they are good. I have ridden in rain and they kept the contents dry. I personally would rather have hard bags just can't justify the cost right now.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 01:59:12 PM »

Two words.

Boss Bags
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 03:18:22 PM »

Boss Bags are tops; the price is commensurate with the quality. Leatherlykes are nice and nowhere near as expensive as the Boss Bags. The Leatherlykes are hard bags styled to look like leather, and they lock. Another option would be any bags with Easy Brackets to mount them; with the Easy Brackets you can change bags later if you decide you want something different. I have no experience with the Viking bags.
02 1800C

DK98K

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:09:59 PM »

I just installed a set of the Viking Trianon Motorcycle Saddlebags Product Number: VK-103 with Ghostbrackets and they are great.

Steamboat

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »

I just installed a set of the Viking Trianon Motorcycle Saddlebags Product Number: VK-103 with Ghostbrackets and they are great.

+1 on Viking bags.............
2002 VTX 1800 R BRB (Big Red Bike)

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." — Will Rogers

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:10:02 PM »

The Viking bags look similiar to my Edge bags.  Mine bags have chrome studs and they are 23 1/2"L x 10"W x 13"H.  I mounted them to a set of Easybrackets.  They are huge, Dusty bought these same bags.  You could probably get a recommendation from him too.  The set was in the mid to high $400's.  I have had them for 2 years and have had no problems.

www.edgeleather.com
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

L2RR2L

• Tejano
  • pearland - south of houston
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »

I am looking for saddlebags as well. I found a site called A1hardbags.com They have painted to match and even ones with taillights in them that match the VTX tailight for 99-130 bucks. It sounds too good to be true but I can find anything about them that would be cause for alarm. Anyone heard of them? If not I think I'll order them and report my findings back to everyone!
ex sport rider....now just an x rider

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 03:09:52 PM »

The Viking bags look similiar to my Edge bags.  Mine bags have chrome studs and they are 23 1/2"L x 10"W x 13"H.  I mounted them to a set of Easybrackets.  They are huge, Dusty bought these same bags.  You could probably get a recommendation from him too.  The set was in the mid to high $400's.  I have had them for 2 years and have had no problems.

www.edgeleather.com

Yup, these are BIG Bags and they are tough. When I was tying my bike down by myself on the trailer to go to BBT I lost control and had to let the bike lay over. (I learned the hard way not to try and hold the beast) Anyway, the entire weight of the bike was laying on the one saddle bag which was resting on an 1 1/2"eye bolt. My first thought was ...great, I just creased that bag. I picked the bike up and there wasn't even a dent in the bag. A few days after I got home, I was looking for a jacket. I found my leather jacket, blue jean jacket and my First Gear riding jacket all in one bag. All are size 3X. I have also carried 80 lbs. of fertilizer home from Home Depot in them, 2 20lb bags in each side. They aren't hard bags but they have a rigid frame and they hold their shape.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal