Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gas question – Most probably stupid  (Read 1811 times)

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
Gas question – Most probably stupid
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:09:01 AM »

Guys, I think I know the answer, but still I want to ask. Is there a way to get a gas gauge on the 1300? I’m getting tired of “guesstimating” my gas level. I’m very good at it, but this year I want to do several long rides and I do not want to be stranded in the middle of know where. Thanks.
2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
Re: Gas question – Most probably stupid
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 07:22:14 AM »

You know not sure if there is actually a gas gauge.  I haven't seen anything on the VTX board about it.  Usually what i do anyways is stop every 100 to 140 miles to get gas.  once I hit 100, I start looking for a gas station.  anyways 100 miles is usually a good time to stop and relax and get the blood flowing.  I have a 1800 neo, heaviest of all the VTX's and when i ride two up fully loaded, I can do about 140 miles until i start feeling uncomfortable with my fuel supply.  Just reset my trip meter everytime i gas up. :bikerider:
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2010, 08:10:02 AM »

you and I both have 1300's...what I do is ride until it starts to run out of gas...then switch over to reserve...you still have right at 1 gallon left.  I get around 45-49 mpg...so when I switch over to reserve then I count on about 30 more miles till I HAVE to get gas.  Not really much guess work in it.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2010, 08:13:06 AM »

you and I both have 1300's...what I do is ride until it starts to run out of gas...then switch over to reserve...you still have right at 1 gallon left.  I get around 45-49 mpg...so when I switch over to reserve then I count on about 30 more miles till I HAVE to get gas.  Not really much guess work in it.
That is exactly what I done on my 1300 also. I usually got about 170 miles when I switched over to reserve.

The key is ALWAYS switch the reserve back!

VTXLady53

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney,TX <>< Member since 2004
    • Marigold's Basic Webs
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2010, 08:23:34 AM »

There are 2 trip meters on our 1300. I use one just for the gas milage. I get about 140-150 miles per tank. I usually don't go that far before I need a butt rest...... :bikerider:
Life is too short for drama or petty things, so laugh hard, love truly and forgive quickly. Live While You Are Alive. Forgive now those who made you cry. You might not get a second time.

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 08:46:05 AM »

That is what I do, when I hit around 100 - 110 miles I fill her up. Oh well....I was hoping of a possible simple mod.
2005 VTX 1300
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 08:56:59 AM »

Hey there is a fuel gage you can put on any bike. I saw it last year at Lone Star. I can not remember there name but they have them. will let you know if I think of it.
They were not really cheap but I don't think they were more than 200 installed so maybe cheaper if you install it.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

Gas gauges on bikes are pretty hit and miss, so just stick with the odo.  I've been on plenty of long trips and haven't had an issue with using that.
Chunk the llama.

powerslave

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:25:02 AM »

Lucky and HeadGuess what mods have you done to get that kind of gas mileage or are you real easy on the throttle. I'm not getting close to that.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »

I usually do the same at around a 100 miles I begin to look if on the open road.Around town I just wait till it needs to be switched to reserve as stations are pretty much all around.Also when on a road trip every time I fill up I usually try and switch the reserve t just keep fresh fuel in that area or at least every other stop.
Alvin,Texas

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 10:31:16 AM »

Most I have done on the bike before runnning over to reserve is 165 but that has not been very many times guess I am heavy on the throttle lol
Alvin,Texas

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 10:36:27 AM »

I have done the scar mod, but my mpg didn't change from before the mod.  I typically switch to reserve around 175, sometimes as high as 187. 

I don't know what easy on the throttle means to you.  I tend to take off quick at lights, but like to coast to stops when possible.  My speeds tend to run about 10 mph over the speed limit, sometimes more  ::)   Of course on the 1300's I have found that we run about 10% higher then actual...so when my speedometer shows 70 I am actually only going around 63.  That USUALLY helps with avoiding tickets...except that for some reason my bike doesn't like to go less than 60 or 65 - no matter what the speed limit is.  :no no:

"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 11:06:06 AM »

I'd like to know how many are getting this type of numbers

switch to reserve around 175, sometimes as high as 187.  
about 170 miles when I switched over to reserve.

Not even close for me I find I am switching around 140 - 148 before having to switch to reserve.  ???

What are you getting

I'm thinking it might be a MRVTX issue for me
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 11:07:48 AM by Gumbo »
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 11:18:25 AM »

+1 on Gumbos results
Alvin,Texas

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 01:02:35 PM »

I'd like to know how many are getting this type of numbers

switch to reserve around 175, sometimes as high as 187.  
about 170 miles when I switched over to reserve.

Not even close for me I find I am switching around 140 - 148 before having to switch to reserve.  ???

What are you getting

I'm thinking it might be a MRVTX issue for me

Wow, those are some high numbers Gumbo. I do commute on my bike everyday. A short 4 miles with a lot of stop and go's. I think I'm getting around 30mpg (maybe less). Personally I think I should get a lot more (like Gumbo's) I do have a hyper-charger (I don't know if this makes a difference) And I know I'm running very rich. I'm planning to take her to Johnny Cheese and get her running smoothly and hopefully better MPG.
2005 VTX 1300
K&N Air Filter
Cobra Sissy Bar
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal