Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help on Electrical  (Read 862 times)

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
Help on Electrical
« on: April 29, 2010, 10:56:40 PM »

Guys, I’m not in a wrench head, much less an electrical wiz. I’m planning on making my bike a bagger. I will be installing a stereo, 1 or 2 cigarette lighters and running lights attached to the engine guard. I have designed the following diagram for the electrical. Can you tell me which electrical lines are correct, is the diagram correct at all?

I have read around the internet of using a relay. If so, how many do I need and where does it go? Which electrical lines of the bike do I use vampire traps to make the relay work?

Also, for the running lights I have read around some people using specifically designed for motorcycles (PIAA, Kuryaken, etc) Honestly those are expensive. I was thinking of using lights that are from the auto store. Can you use these lights?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If you want the Visio diagram to help me out, PM me your email address and I will send it over. Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NldXbiLEI416rOGrTU-VjQ?feat=directlink

2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
Re: Help on Electrical
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 03:21:32 AM »

Guys, I’m not in a wrench head, much less an electrical wiz. I’m planning on making my bike a bagger. I will be installing a stereo, 1 or 2 cigarette lighters and running lights attached to the engine guard. I have designed the following diagram for the electrical. Can you tell me which electrical lines are correct, is the diagram correct at all?

I have read around the internet of using a relay. If so, how many do I need and where does it go? Which electrical lines of the bike do I use vampire traps to make the relay work?

Also, for the running lights I have read around some people using specifically designed for motorcycles (PIAA, Kuryaken, etc) Honestly those are expensive. I was thinking of using lights that are from the auto store. Can you use these lights?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If you want the Visio diagram to help me out, PM me your email address and I will send it over. Thanks.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NldXbiLEI416rOGrTU-VjQ?feat=directlink

The ones I am using (for the past 5 years) are from Auto Zone....I had a friend who does have the electrical skills and I spent less than a grand total of $75 for the lights, relay, connectors and switch. My relay is under the left side of my seat and the best I recall we used one of the wires inside the headlight casing to tie into, but I stayed away from alligator clips due to their propensity to fail. I mounted my switch just above the key using one of the bolts just above it so I can reach down and turn 'em on whether running with high or low beams. The relay we used was, I believe a 15 amp one.
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Dusty

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 04:57:35 AM »

I bought some lights from Wal-mart for around $20 called Driving Beams. Best I remember they were 50 or 55 watt. I chose to to put a fuse block under my left side cover and I have run a seperate wire for each add on. Everything has it's own fuse. I drilled a hole in my left side cover to switch my driving lights. Sometimes I wish I had them tied to my head light because I will forget to turn them off. I solder all splices and put shrink wrap on them. I use to have my driving lights mounted on my engine guards but found that they had a tendency to reflect off the front of the bike and wind shield. It didn't blind me, but it did effect how well I could see ahead of me. I took my engine guard off to move my controls forward some and moved my lights to the brackets that hold the brake and shifter. This moved them forward enough that I don't get the reflection that I was getting before. I think they even make some shades/hoods that go on the lights that will restrict the beam from shining up as much.  :goldwing:

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 07:48:27 AM »

It's been a few years since I wired ours up, but we had all kinds of problems with the Kuryakyn Silver Bullets. Maybe they've fixed the problems by now. I've heard their LED lamps are good, but we had a lot of issues with the halogen lamps. On several of them the chrome peeled off. One blew up. We've never been able to get several of them to seal out water, and the lenses on those are always cloudy. Marigold ordered some Big Bike Parts halogen lamps and we've had no problems with those
02 1800C

jarubio

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Round Rock, TX
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »

Guys, in my research, I have found the following links that are very helpful  and insightful. I think I’m going to go with a fuse block, ground block and a relay. Any ideas of where to connect the power for the relay? Should I splice and solder and then use heat shrink tubing? What other methods do you recommend? What size wire do I use? I know I need 10 gauge wire from the batter to the ground block and the fuse block. But from there what size of wire should I use? Thanks for the input guys.

https://www.cyclenutz.com/electrical/fuse_block_installation.html
http://www.cyclenutz.com/electrical/fuse_block_and_relay_installation.html
https://www.cyclenutz.com/electrical/using_a_relay_for_your_accessories.html

2005 VTX 1300
Vance & Hines Big Shots Staggered
Kuryakyn Pro Series Hypercharger
K&N Air Filter
Xtreme Revolution Fairing
Cobra Sissy Bar
Lindby Custom Engine Gaurd
Kuryakyn Foot Pegs
I lost count of all of the chrome she has :-D