Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildflower Sightings  (Read 1330 times)

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
Wildflower Sightings
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:46:38 PM »

Hi Folks,

Wife and I have been busy the last couple of weekends and we are looking to go see the wildflowers this Sunday.  Have any of you been out recently to do the same?  What roads between Houston and Austin have you find nice displays?

Thanks,

David
'02 1800C

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
Re: Wildflower Sightings
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 12:55:16 PM »

http://www.txdot.gov/travel/flora_map_disclaimer.htm

Accept and the Texas map comes up. Draw a box with the mouse and it zooms into that. WAY COOL and Updated by people who've SEEN the flowers.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

sherri

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • The Woodlands
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »

The bluebonnets are in full bloom, I was in Chappel Hill at festival yesterday. When we left we went on road North of CH towards 105 then back towards Brenham and 290 back to town. I definately want to make it back out there next weekend. 

If you ever see me with horns sticking out of my helmet
call an ambulance  .  .  .  .    I’ve hit a deer

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2010, 04:28:02 PM »

I came back from San Angelo last thursday , the display of wildflowers was beautiful.
It's all just part of the adventure!

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2010, 07:09:18 PM »

i heard from a very reliable source that coming of 359 north onto the old hempstead and over on to the road that takes you to 290 is a very thick patch of bluebonnets.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 09:55:36 PM »

Pick a road between you and anywhere and the flowers are out in full bloom!
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

XRaymondX

• Old Timer
  • Bullard, TX
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:12:47 AM »

Saturday, I rode past Lake Palestine on HWY 155 between Tyler and Frankston.  I crossed the last bridge and looked West.  There was a rolling field of yellow wildflowers that led down to the lake. 

I didn't have a camera with me and would have stopped the convoy to get a picture on my phone.

It rolled yellow all the way to the lake and would have been an awesome picture.  I may have to go back this Saturday, by myself, just to take a picture.

The Bible says in Matthew chapter 6 that Even King Solomon, in all his glory, wasn't adourned like the flowers of the field.  We can't re-create that kind of beauty.

People drive hours and hours in the Spring to see the Azaleas in Tyler and in the Fall to see the roses.

We have dedicated a thread to wildflowers and all we have to do is look at God's creation to see beauty.  What a gift we have been given.
'02 VraTX 1800C - Retro Apocalyptic, "Road Warrior", Rat Bike.  Did it myself and love it. 

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 10:27:07 AM »

:redcard:   Jeff you post that after a great post By XRamondX I just had time to think about Gods creation and you bring me down!  I will be a tragic problem so watch out for me please!!! Ride safe ride long. Galker rubbernecker
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:38:18 AM »

Took it off, so as not to offend your sensibilities....  ::)
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 01:50:22 PM »

damnit. i missed it.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 07:11:56 AM »

Saturday, I rode past Lake Palestine on HWY 155 between Tyler and Frankston.  I crossed the last bridge and looked West.  There was a rolling field of yellow wildflowers that led down to the lake. 

I didn't have a camera with me and would have stopped the convoy to get a picture on my phone.

It rolled yellow all the way to the lake and would have been an awesome picture.  I may have to go back this Saturday, by myself, just to take a picture.

The Bible says in Matthew chapter 6 that Even King Solomon, in all his glory, wasn't adourned like the flowers of the field.  We can't re-create that kind of beauty.

People drive hours and hours in the Spring to see the Azaleas in Tyler and in the Fall to see the roses.

We have dedicated a thread to wildflowers and all we have to do is look at God's creation to see beauty.  What a gift we have been given.

I drove up to Tyler last Wednesday; the yellow flowers were very prolific all the way from Buffalo. Some of the pastures we saw were solid yellow. They weren't buttercups though, when we went to Salado the week before we saw a lot of yellow flowers that Marigold said were buttercups after looking at them closeup.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 09:13:42 AM »

I don't know if it is due to the drought last summer or the hard winter but everything that survived seems to be trying to make up for lost time.  :cool2:

DavidJ

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 10:33:14 AM »

I think the drought actually caused most plants to produce more seeds.  At least it did for the oaks at my house.  I had the largest corp of acorns I have had in the last 10 years.  I know that all the bulbs my wife has planted are doing much better this year.
'02 1800C

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 10:34:51 AM »

Plus we had tons of rain during the winter.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal