Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Tach for V-twins  (Read 3084 times)

KCAMERON007

• Old Timer
  • 2006 1300S
Tach for V-twins
« on: April 03, 2010, 09:46:42 AM »

I found this tach from a guy on another board...its a 2.5" tach on the shelf at O-riellys (Equus #6076) and its $30 for the black and $45 for the chrome and fits 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,12 cylinders by a real easy adjustment. Installation is real easy too. It takes longer to remove the seat and slide the tank back a little to get to your coil. Tie the red and white wires together to the positive terminal, black to the ground lug on the coil, and green to the negative side of coil. Looks cool to... You gotta be a little creative to mount it. I used a clamp and covered it with black plastic
(my bikes for ridin, not showin).
KC
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:48:21 AM by KCAMERON007 »
KC     Kenny 
VTX-1300S

Ride hard, or stay home !!
(Peter Fonda, in "The Wild Hogs")

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Tach for V-twins
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 11:14:37 AM »

I found this tach from a guy on another board...its a 2.5" tach on the shelf at O-riellys (Equus #6076) and its $30 for the black and $45 for the chrome and fits 1,2,3,4,6,8,10,12 cylinders by a real easy adjustment. Installation is real easy too. It takes longer to remove the seat and slide the tank back a little to get to your coil. Tie the red and white wires together to the positive terminal, black to the ground lug on the coil, and green to the negative side of coil. Looks cool to... You gotta be a little creative to mount it. I used a clamp and covered it with black plastic
(my bikes for ridin, not showin).
KC

Kinda interesting, I am not understanding how it works though  ???
Tie the red and white wires together to the positive terminal, black to the ground lug on the coil, and green to the negative side of coil.
Not to be a smart A$$ but what is it measuring tied to the coil (voltage)  ??? ??? I see above that you talk about cylinders how does that tie in ??
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:54:46 PM »

Gumbo, it's simple to wire, just look at the wireing diagram and you'll understand

Now see how easy that is???    :c :c :c
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 02:15:26 PM »

Gumbo, it's simple to wire, just look at the wireing diagram and you'll understand

Now see how easy that is???    :c :c :c

Thanks for clearing that up for me  :thumbup: :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

jmdaniel

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other toy, '77 FJ40...
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 04:35:16 PM »

The 1300 setup is not the same as the 1800.
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
-- Unknown

2016 Honda F6B Deluxe
2007 Yamaha FJR1300A
2003 Honda VTX 1300

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:52:08 PM »

Do you have a schematic to clear-up the 1800 install?  I could not understand those from Hooter...LMAO
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 10:06:43 PM »

So really, you guys don't think that schematic cleared anything do you  :ohwow: If so do you want to buy some golden eggs  ??? ::)

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 08:41:30 AM »

It's simple to me, just do what I do. Buy it, read the directions, put it in the garage, forget it. :banghead:
It's all just part of the adventure!

hooter

« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2010, 09:08:17 AM »

It's simple to me, just do what I do. Buy it, read the directions, put it in the garage, forget it. :banghead:

Something about the above statement sounds real familiar.      :banghead: :banghead: :c

KCAMERON007

• Old Timer
  • 2006 1300S
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 05:46:16 AM »

Thats the positive terminal on the coil....not the battery....sorry ........red/white to positive side of coil,
black to coil ground, and green to coil negative.... :c
KC
KC     Kenny 
VTX-1300S

Ride hard, or stay home !!
(Peter Fonda, in "The Wild Hogs")

Dusty

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 12:49:05 PM »

Who needs a tach? Just twist until the rev limiter takes you out of the running.  :stickpoke: :c

hooter

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 04:39:11 PM »

Who needs a tach? Just twist until the rev limiter takes you out of the running.  :stickpoke: :c

I got my tach and it makes me run faster, of coarse my X is Blurple also, which we all know is the fastest color anyway!!   :c :c

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 06:24:59 PM »

I got my tach and it makes me run faster, of coarse my X is Blurple also, which we all know is the fastest color anyway!!   :c :c

In your dreams Hillbilly!!!! Red is statistically proven to be faster, both in the physical and the mental. A cop will pull over a Red car before pulling over a Blurple car. Which means he knows in his head that Blurple can't out run Red.
But, what I missed is how the RPMs are measured by the current passing through the coil. ? Just how is that done? Are there a certain amount of amps that pass through the coil in a revolution of the engine?

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 07:55:32 PM »

In your dreams Hillbilly!!!! Red is statistically proven to be faster, both in the physical and the mental. A cop will pull over a Red car before pulling over a Blurple car. Which means he knows in his head that Blurple can't out run Red.
But, what I missed is how the RPMs are measured by the current passing through the coil. ? Just how is that done? Are there a certain amount of amps that pass through the coil in a revolution of the engine?

Dusty that is just what I was trying to get to, how the heck is RPMs measured by the current passing through the coil. ?  I might be a Cajun but we don't do it that way  :ohwow:

bigdog

• Tejano
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 02:48:56 AM »

The rpm's our measured by the coil fireing the spark plugs,the more the plug fires the faster the rpm's,on the 1800 you need a wiring kit for a tach.This is a necessary component for those installing any of our tachometers on motorcycles equipped with a single fire ignition system.
Our Part #: BAR-T105 (honda direct)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:08:31 AM by bigdog »

Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal