Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bearings Rear Wheel  (Read 2141 times)

blingbling

• Rider
  • BlingBling (Tyler,TX)
Bearings Rear Wheel
« on: August 15, 2006, 05:11:41 PM »

Took my bike to the shop today to get the car (Raptor 205/55/16) tire put on. Shop called me and told me that my bearing were shot on this 2002 1800c. I took the flang bearing to the Honda shop with my extended warrenty. Said this was the secound one that had come in for this repair. Had me go back and get the whole wheel and bring it back to them and they said they would see what Honda had to say about it. Funny though the first thing they asked me was if I had been on the internet. When I sad yes, he just shook his head. 

Doug
Doug Courson

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
Re: Bearings Rear Wheel
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2006, 05:15:41 PM »

You should go back and tell them you will make sure every X rider knows about this! And shake your head at them.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2006, 08:22:10 PM »

alot of dealers are acting the same way when presented with this problem. i've done some talking with a service manager at a local dealer and this is what he told me. rumor has gotten out that all VTX's at sometime or another are going to have this particular bearing fail. it's obvious were this rumor got started, just do some searching on the boards and you'll find out. basically he says, if you do the research, the number of X's with this problem amounts to less than 1% of total X's produced. my take on it is that the dealers are getting tired of dealing with the issue, if you can even call it an issue. only bad thing is that when one is found to be bad you have to deal with an attitude. good luck on getting fixed, from everything i've read about it seems the warranty usually takes care of it. hope this sheds some light on the head shake. ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2006, 08:43:57 PM »

Anytime I mention this problem to a dealer, I make sure they know the NHTSB is investigating the failures.  That usually makes them stop shaking their head.  But the dealer I recently went to for a warranty fix was very receptive to listen about the problem.  They hadn't seen it but now if they do, they'll at least have heard of it.
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 03:19:08 PM »

1 out of a 100, not an issue? If it's yours it is. 100 thousand bikes produced, 1 thousand bad for one particular fault? Sounds like an issue to me, with failures in the other 99 thousand for other reasons.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 06:48:41 AM »

If the bearing is bad, it's bad......................whether you've read about other bearing failures on the internet or not. At least he didn't tell you it failed because you didn't use genuine Honda air in your tires.
02 1800C

Claw

• Old Timer
  • Baytown
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 02:51:13 PM »

At least he didn't tell you it failed because you didn't use genuine Honda air in your tires.

I don't care who you are.... thats funny right there
03 1800C
05 GL1800

blingbling

• Rider
  • BlingBling (Tyler,TX)
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2006, 12:33:45 PM »

Well, I picked up my wheel today and guess what? Honda paid for all the repairs. I am a happy camper. Took it to the tire shop to have my car tire put on. Should be back onthe road today. Be sure to check those bearings when changing the tire.
Doug Courson

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2006, 01:34:19 PM »

glad everything worked out for you. good luck with the "new" tire. ;)
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

Texasheat

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »

My brother in law has an 1800r and he had the same bearing failure , at first the dealer said it wasn't covered under warranty and he gave them hell about it and they decided it was...it seems to be a common problem with the vtx's. Don't back down from the for sure the warranty should cover this item if you need more info get back with me and I will let you know exactly how my brotherinlaw handled it....

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2006, 02:43:09 PM »

My finial drive bearing was out at 7000 miles (flange bearing) not the wheel bearing. My dealer took a new bike out of the crate and gave me the finial drive off of it so I could make it to BBT II that weekend.... GOOD DEALER STORY!!!!!! O0 O0 O0 O0 O0  The tire change was done at Big A's shop.. The next week I took back the other finial drive... My dealer was Killeen Power Sports!!!! O0 O0 ;D :D >:( So far so good at 22000 miles!!! O0 O0 O0
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal