Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Darkside tire options  (Read 5558 times)

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
Re: Darkside tire options
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

1)  The insurance issue is pretty well a non-issue.  Fact...they can TRY to deny your claim for a LOT of reasons.  They could say you don't have stock GRIPS and deny it.  Now, they have to prove that caused the incident.  Ask your insurance agent if you are "allowed" to put non OEM brake pads on your bike.  He'll say "no."

I've had a claim, WITH a car tire.  The adjuster didn't say a word about it.  No, the tire didn't contribute to the incident.  LOL

2)  I can OUT HANDLE my old Metzlers.  That's it, period and in a nutshell.  With my Bridgestone Potenza, I out handle my old motorcycle tire.  I drag hard parts WAY easier.  I stop better.  I launch better.  I ride over 80 PLENTY.  I've never ridden in the hill country.  If I do get down there, it'll probably be on a sport or sport tour bike.  I have a cruiser to cruise, not dice.

And I don't have a CHEAP tire.  My rear was about 130.  Maybe your experience with a car tire was bad because you put on a crappy car tire?  I mean, what if everyone said, "Bike tires are horse hockey terrible... I know, because I had this stock Dunlop!"  You'd say, "THAT tire sucks!"  You wouldn't say, "Motorcycle tires suck." 

My now long gone VTX...

L2RR2L

• Tejano
  • pearland - south of houston
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 11:07:11 AM »

I've got a tricky one for everybody. I wouldn't mind going to a car tire but my next set will be white walls. Anyone know of a whitewall CT that will fit? I've done searches, on vtxoa, darkside and google and can't find anything.
ex sport rider....now just an x rider

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 11:31:00 AM »

And I don't have a CHEAP tire.  My rear was about 130.  Maybe your experience with a car tire was bad because you put on a crappy car tire?  I mean, what if everyone said, "Bike tires are horse hockey terrible... I know, because I had this stock Dunlop!"  You'd say, "THAT tire sucks!"  You wouldn't say, "Motorcycle tires suck."  

No I had about $100+ dollar tire on there. I just got it cheaper due to knowing someone. I have said before I could do almost everything I could on A mc with the CT. I just had to work harder for it. just all things being fair I would like people to admit that an MC tire may cost more and have to be replaced more but they are better for a motorcycle. Yes you can make a car tire work just fine on one if you don't ride the bike on crazy sharp turns.
This is all I have been trying to get at. I am not trying to get everyone pissed off by saying this I just want new comers to know if you don't mind buying MC tires often then I would not go the route again of the car tire.
 :good:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 11:33:07 AM by CouldBFaster »
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2010, 01:01:48 PM »

I've just seen a lot of people say, "I tried this (insert CHEAP HORRID car tire that you would only put on a car you're selling) and I thought that a car tire on a bike sucked."  Never made sense to me.  Then you said you bought a $65 tire.... made me figure the same thing.

Being fair, I won't admit what you're asking, because, in my experience, you're wrong.  Pretty simple.  I ride on plenty of sharp turns... as I said, I drag hard parts all the time.   Can't turn CRAZIER than that on a motorcycle tire without spilling.  I actually feel a quantum amount more confident in such turns.  But yes, I do notice the active counter-steering.  Not that it's much harder than holding an elevator door open by touching the sensor.  It's all good tho, to each his own.  Some people love their ape hangers and raked front ends, and those aren't for ME.
My now long gone VTX...

kobascle

• Trailer Queen
    • silverpics.net
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2010, 11:40:41 PM »

I put a 195/60-15 Brama2 On the back of my 04 1300c and I love it. NO REGRETS
Any day.. Is A good day To Ride

KCAMERON007

• Old Timer
  • 2006 1300S