Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Darkside tire options  (Read 5561 times)

Kyoujin

• Trailer Queen
Darkside tire options
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:23:38 AM »

Hey all.  I've posted at McDarkside but I think that board is still asleep.  :)  Anyways, I'm thinking of doing this Darkside deal and was wondering if anyone here has done it, their thoughts....and what size tire.  I've got an 06 1800F and I know the almost bald Dunflap on it is a 180/55r18.  If a 200 bike tire will fit in there....would a 195/55r18 be a good size then? 

Also....is there anyone on here that has done it and lives close to central Texas that would want to try to tempt someone to the darkside?  ;)
Josh - 06 VTX1800F

PCIII, Thunder Hurricane, DeSmog'd, Bub JugHuggers w/Thunder Monster baffles, Custom side mount, progressive shocks, Kury lizard lights, Deuce style run/turn/brake lights, + more. :

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: Darkside tire options
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 11:37:41 AM »

I won't try to sway you left or right, I'll only tell you my findings. I have the bridgestone potenza 01 I think.....The one that is on the death star on the darksiders website.  It is a 205 50 16 (30k mile tire) mounted with dyna beads. Put the beads in before you mount the tire.  If you have stock exaust, your first impression will seem weird because it will feel like your tracking to one side. That goes away after a few mins of riding.  Stopping is incredibly percise. You can lock up the back tire and it will not slide out from under you.  Turning takes a little getting used to.  I've never been in a situation where i could feel the rear letting go.  Also tire pressure takes a little tuning too.  I think I'm at 37.   

There is a video on youtube of a guy on a yellow goldwing with a camera glued to the bottom of his bike.  Take a look at it. 

If you're ever in Montgomery Tx, let me know.

*Closet Darksider*

Kyoujin

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

Cool.  Thanks for the info.  The more I look into it, the more I think I'm gonna do it.  It's just a matter of finding the right tire.  Apparently from McDarksiders and VTXOA it's SOP for F riders to use a Toyo Proxes 215/45r18.  Apparently that's all the F darksiders run.  It too is a pricey tire, but still probably cheaper than a ME880 rear.  I guess time will tell on this....

Thanks again.  :)
Josh - 06 VTX1800F

PCIII, Thunder Hurricane, DeSmog'd, Bub JugHuggers w/Thunder Monster baffles, Custom side mount, progressive shocks, Kury lizard lights, Deuce style run/turn/brake lights, + more. :

jedishon

• Old Timer
  • Katy, Tx
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:22:23 PM »

I have about 29,000 miles on a couple different car tires. Can't think of a situation where I would rather have a mt on my bike.

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »

I have a Potenza RE-01R (The Darkside Logo is my design, actually) and I LOVE it.  Terrific, very sporty tire.  Great handling.
My now long gone VTX...

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 02:46:19 PM »

I have about 29,000 miles on a couple different car tires. Can't think of a situation where I would rather have a mt on my bike.

Really?  :redcard:
As someone who has tried out the "darkside" I have to say..... :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :redcard:
If you were to say I would not go back to a MC tire due the the price I would not give you the  :redcard: but to say that you would not prefer if price was not an issue I say  :redcard:

this is ment as nice as I can mean it.
Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

HeadGuess

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Wills Point, Texas
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:08:59 AM »

I went to the dark side about a year and a half ago. No regrets.

grapeape

• Old Timer
  • Big Blurple Monkey with a Darkside!
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 08:19:46 PM »

I will not ever put a MC tire back on my rear
The is no upside in messin' with things you don't understand.

2003 VTX1800R, Goodyear Triple Tread 205/60R/16, V&H Big Shots, PCIII

Kyoujin

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 09:11:05 PM »

Well, it is done. I went with a Cooper Zeon ZPT 215/45r18. This is one of two tires known to fit an F. Haven't been able to ride much but given what little I have I like it so far. Low speed maneuvering feels no different to me and the traction is absolutely amazing! Can't wait to really put some miles on it. :) Thanks for the help everyone. I greatly appreciate it. :)
Josh - 06 VTX1800F

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 03:46:48 PM »

I would disagree with the statement that there is NO situation where a MC tire is better than a CT.  But to redcard is if he says anything other than "it's price" is equally hyperbolic.  My car tire and handle just as well at road speeds.  The place where it' handles the worst is at low speeds on hard, uneven surfaces.  The MC tire easily out handles the CT on those surfaces.  So if i was going to spend the majority of my time riding cones in a deteriorating, uneven parking lot, I'd definitely not want the CT.  Outside of that, it's pretty well a wash, IMO.

Really?  :redcard:
As someone who has tried out the "darkside" I have to say.....
If you were to say I would not go back to a MC tire due the the price I would not give you the  :redcard: but to say that you would not prefer if price was not an issue I say  :redcard:

My now long gone VTX...

L2RR2L

• Tejano
  • pearland - south of houston
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 12:53:08 AM »

I thought everyone who was going to a CT had a 200 conversion on the rear end. Are some of you putting one on the stock VTX rim? I have a 1300C if it makes a difference
ex sport rider....now just an x rider

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 12:16:19 PM »

I thought everyone who was going to a CT had a 200 conversion on the rear end. Are some of you putting one on the stock VTX rim? I have a 1300C if it makes a difference

On the 1800 it comes when a 180. you can put upto a 200 mc tire on it.  on a 16 inch rim, I think the max is 205 ct.  18 inch rims is 215.  These are all on stock rims.  Check out the darksiders website for sizes that will fit your ride.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 09:52:29 PM by twistedrcpilot »

*Closet Darksider*

jedishon

• Old Timer
  • Katy, Tx
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 06:57:45 PM »

Fits the stock rims just fine.

CouldBFaster

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:59:33 PM »

I would disagree with the statement that there is NO situation where a MC tire is better than a CT.  But to redcard is if he says anything other than "it's price" is equally hyperbolic.  My car tire and handle just as well at road speeds.  The place where it' handles the worst is at low speeds on hard, uneven surfaces.  The MC tire easily out handles the CT on those surfaces.  So if i was going to spend the majority of my time riding cones in a deteriorating, uneven parking lot, I'd definitely not want the CT.  Outside of that, it's pretty well a wash, IMO.

Really?  :redcard:
As someone who has tried out the "darkside" I have to say.....
If you were to say I would not go back to a MC tire due the the price I would not give you the  :redcard: but to say that you would not prefer if price was not an issue I say  :redcard:

OK maybe the red carding was a little harsh.
Now Low speeds and uneven pavement is the only time you would rather have a MC tire? Do you ride over 80mph? How about the hill country? Or just cutting curves at high speeds, you know the fun stuff....
turns in the rain...
having to cut hard to avoid something...
There are a whole lot of times that a MC tire comes in handy. Now what other reason besides cost would one have to put one on there bike?
Now wouldn't they just be called "tires" if they were meant for both cars and MC's?

I am really not trying to be a jerk, I just would like to know. I know when I put it on my bike it was about cost. I didn't have a job and buying a $200 tire was not smart. But a $65 tire was ok...

Catching a yellow-jacket in your shirt at seventy miles per hour can double your vocabulary.

Honest officer .... I aint driving fast ..... just flying low ....

"I'll keep my money, my freedom and my guns, You can keep the "change"."

┌П┐ (•_•)┌П┐

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 08:39:54 PM »

Don't forget that, God for bid you have an accident and end up with a jerk for an insurance adjuster, they could deny coverage for improper equipment. And I am not trying to cause any argument. I know those guys get paid to be jerks.  :what:
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal