Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hill Country Roads  (Read 2132 times)

Noledad

• Rider
Hill Country Roads
« on: March 07, 2010, 07:50:04 AM »

We've been living down at the bottom of Texas (McAllen) for a year now and I finally have some time to do some serious riding.  My wife and I are going to take a 4 day weekend ride at Easter and would like to see something besides mesquite and cactus.  Our plan is to start out with a pilgrimage to the Alamo on the first day and then head up into the hill country for a couple of days.  We have never been there and with a limited time we would appreciate some tips on the best roads to ride and what hotels or towns to stay overnight.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 09:20:07 AM by Noledad »
VTX1300C

A banjo makes any music better

TomVTX

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Blanco, Texas
Re: Hill Country Roads
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »

Welcome to the Hill Country.  Here's a link on this forum to some of the roads here in the Hill Country.  These are maps used for the Bluebonnet Thunder Rides.  http://www.texasxriders.com/index.php?topic=12834.0  These are just a few, but they are some really good ones.  As far as places to stay, I live here so have never stayed in any of the motels/hotels.  A lot of people stay in Fredericksburg, but if you don't already have reservations, that might be a problem.  We have a new member here that is manager of the Super 8 and he said he would offer a 15% discount to all X riders regardless of when they came.  Just mention You are an X rider. 

Hope this helps.  Also you might check out the BBT forum for information to the BBT rally we have.  This year it's April 22-25.  Lots of fun and a chance to get out of the bottom of Texas and meet some more X riders.

Noledad

• Rider
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 09:26:59 AM »

Wow, fantastic maps.  thank you TomVTX.

you say that Fredricksburg hotels are usually booked up, or is that just because of the holiday weekend?

Russ
VTX1300C

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »

Wow, fantastic maps.  thank you TomVTX.

you say that Fredricksburg hotels are usually booked up, or is that just because of the holiday weekend?

Russ
Holiday weekend and useally on alot of people go out that way on the weekends.  There are quite a few Hotels there and I really don't think you would have a problem getting a room. BUT you might call in a reservation just in case. If you don't want to stay there Kerrville is just down the road and rates on rooms are just a bit cheaper.

Have fun! Ride safe!  :thumbup:

Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

TxVTXMike

• Rider
    • M&M eBiz
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 07:05:37 AM »

The real hill country roads start South of Kerrville.  
16 South of Kerrville to Medina is a nice tight twisty.  You might consider 1st gear if double up!  :-)
Texas Hill Country: Hwy 16

Consider staying at the motorcycle ONLY inn in Leakey.  DRose Motorcycle Only Inn. Great place.

Catch the 11th Street Cowboy bar in Bandera

Do all the 3 sisters 335,336,337.

337 from Vanderpool to Leakey is great.

335 North of Camp Wood about 8 miles, catch the Kangaroo, camel, Giraffe,etc... farm.  You can't miss it.

335 video:   Texas Hill Country: 335 North of Camp Wood

Catch Stonehenge II outside Hunt on 1340  (West of Hunt)

Some photos from Hill Country trips  (I was on my Goldwing at the time):

http://misc.thepartyfowl.com/cycletrips/Bandera-08/index.html

We just got back from 3 days in that area last week.

WATCH OUT FOR DEER!!!  (the reason I'm not on my Goldwing anymore)
http://mrcaclub.ning.com/forum/topic/show?id=899987%3ATopic%3A104061

« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 07:09:54 AM by TxVTXMike »
Mike in Dallas ( http://tinyurl.com/yrmbxz )
'06 VTX 1800R Spec 2

Noledad

• Rider
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2010, 08:13:46 PM »

TxVTXMike,

Thanks for all of the info.  Your videos look great, I can't wait to ride that area.  Everything is just too flat down here in the McAllen area.  My wife and I are getting excited about heading up there in a couple of weeks. :bikerider: :bikerider:

Russ
VTX1300C

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 09:20:51 AM »

I will second TxVTXMike's suggestion about D'Rose Inn.  We stayed there about 4 years ago and it was very very nice.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

TxVTXMike

• Rider
    • M&M eBiz
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 09:49:17 AM »

The Stonehenge II pic didn't come thru before. Google on Stonehenge II Texas  to find out more

A better (but large) pic here: http://photos.mm-ebiz.com/images/Stonehenge-HDR-16.jpg

Mike in Dallas ( http://tinyurl.com/yrmbxz )
'06 VTX 1800R Spec 2

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 04:10:05 PM »

TxVTXMike,

Thanks for all of the info.  Your videos look great, I can't wait to ride that area.  Everything is just too flat down here in the McAllen area.  My wife and I are getting excited about heading up there in a couple of weeks. :bikerider: :bikerider:

Russ

Hey Noledad, my father was born and raised in the small town of Sebastion.  He since has passed away about year ago and even thought the Rio Grande Valley is flat, there's just something about that place that keeps bringing me back.  Hopefully you can make it to the BBT next month.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2010, 04:45:42 PM »

I've always enjoyed my visits to the Valley. It use to have a relaxed " manyana" attitude(ok Paul, I spelled it wrong let 'er rip) Getting as hectic as everywhere else now. My favorite place to jump the border is at Progresso, I like to shop there as they don't hassell you as much. and I like Arturo's :lunch:
It's all just part of the adventure!

paperpeddler

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 09:53:05 PM »

Hey Mike, have ridden these roads many times on the X, and really enjoyed riding it on the computer to.  Great video.

Paperpeddler

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 12:38:15 PM »

I've always enjoyed my visits to the Valley. It use to have a relaxed " manyana" attitude(ok Paul, I spelled it wrong let 'er rip) Getting as hectic as everywhere else now. My favorite place to jump the border is at Progresso, I like to shop there as they don't hassell you as much. and I like Arturo's :lunch:

I like Progresso too. My dentist is there, and his waiting room is a bar! Arturo's is good. I like the Red Snapper too. Next time you are there, try the Red Panty Bar.  :thumbup:
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Noledad

• Rider
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 07:11:59 PM »

Lately they've been having gunfights in all the border towns (Mexican side), including Nuevo Progresso.  Right now the Mex government can't control anything.  The drug gangs have even been setting up roadblocks on the Mexican highways.  This crap happening only 10 miles from us is making my wife and I very uneasy.  It's only a matter of time before it starts to spill over to the US side and we don't want to get in a crossfire between 2 groups of pendejos.      If construction would only pick up anywhere else, we'd get out of here.
VTX1300C

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »

Lately they've been having gunfights in all the border towns (Mexican side), including Nuevo Progresso.  Right now the Mex government can't control anything.  The drug gangs have even been setting up roadblocks on the Mexican highways.  This crap happening only 10 miles from us is making my wife and I very uneasy.  It's only a matter of time before it starts to spill over to the US side and we don't want to get in a crossfire between 2 groups of pendejos.      If construction would only pick up anywhere else, we'd get out of here.

It's sad to here it's come to that.  I love going to Nuevo Progresso, but I'm not going to put my wife in danger's way or myself.  Hopefully it calms down.  I feel bad for the people that live in all those border towns, they are the ones that truly suffer the decisions that these idiots make.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

raderrods

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 11:39:26 AM »

If you havent made any reservations yet, PM me and I will see what we can do for you here at the motel.
2004 VTX 1800N, Accutronics forwards, Hondaline lightbar, Kury grips, throttle boss, control levers, helmet lock, Cobra tach, Mustang seat, Thunder Hypercharger, PC III, Vance & Hines, Corbin beetle bags, Batwing, Full stereo.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal