Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stuck Valve or Bad rear cylinder  (Read 960 times)

hangman

• Old Timer
Stuck Valve or Bad rear cylinder
« on: March 03, 2010, 10:44:28 AM »

The brother is having this issue with his Black 1800.  low compression was the sympton that led to the diagnosis.

Has anyone ever heard of this?  - First time for me.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Re: Stuck Valve or Bad rear cylinder
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »

Seems to be a lot of this going around.  wtf....Honda told me they had a bad batch of cylinders that were made just recently.  I wonder if this is not the first bad batch made.  Both of mine looked like they were made from corta-roy(I'm too young to know how to spell that).  My compression was so low, i could push start it.

*Closet Darksider*

hangman

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »

Well fortunately for my I have an 03 Retro - and I had never heard of any stuck valves or bad cylinders till he told me this.  I would say WTF indeed.  The guy that diagnosed it told him it would be mid to late summer before he could get to it.  Cost was ranging from $200 for a stuck valve to $1,500 to replace and/or rework the rear cylinder.  Said it was oil circulation issues (or the lack thereof) causing the rear cylinder to over heat.

I was just throwing it out there to see if any one else was having this trouble.  This guy said he had done some research and it was a common issue on the 1800's.  Going on 7-8 trouble free years with mine.  coarse there was the one year I spent laid up with a broken leg.  Guess you wouldn't expect much over heating with it sitting in the garage (it do get hot in there though - this being Texas.)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 02:10:05 PM »

corta-roy

Corduroy.

I haven't heard of this as a common problem before, for whatever that's worth. I'm sure if it's a common problem there'll be a lot of discussion about it on VTXOA.
02 1800C

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 03:49:18 PM »

corta-roy

Corduroy.

I'll save this just incase they come back..... :notworthy:

*Closet Darksider*

DEMON

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 06:01:33 PM »

could this be the Achilles’ heel that the all mighty VTX is not supposed to have?

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 08:19:39 PM »

does said mechanic also know that these bikes have a decompression cam on them as well. or did he do an actual true cylinder leak down test.

I also love it when i read these posts about how the "unbreakable" vtx has a problem. what you have to remember is how many thousands of these bikes honda has produced. then determine how many have had this "problem" then you'll know if it's a true problem or not. 
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 09:58:44 PM »

The history of each bike can tell a different story as well.  Some could have gotten low on oil or some could have accidentally put diesel in at one point.

I'm just sayin'.   ^-^
Chunk the llama.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 05:41:08 AM »

The history of each bike can tell a different story as well.  Some could have gotten low on oil or some could have accidentally put diesel in at one point.

I'm just sayin'.   ^-^
  That could be true with Hangman's brother!  ;D ::)
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal