Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Concealed Carry  (Read 2028 times)

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
Concealed Carry
« on: February 27, 2010, 10:12:39 PM »

Kicked Cranberries on the handgun test today. Got 249/250 on the shooting part. My gun jammed on the rapid fire. I had to clear the jam, add a round to the clip, and pray and spray the last 4 rounds in 2 second. last shot was 2" low, and I was docked a point. Got a 100 on written...
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Concealed Carry
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2010, 10:21:31 PM »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Good job
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

DEMON

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 10:42:58 PM »

I took the test and after everything was set and done, the only thing it did was disencourage  me to carry my gun...

matap

• Board
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 10:45:33 PM »

I've been wanting to get mine, just haven't had the time or funds to pursue it.
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 10:53:33 PM »

My motto is don't ask don't tell  :couch:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

SteveS

• Regular Advanced
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • 2006 VTX 1300R,2005 GL 1800,2013 Goldwing Trike
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2010, 12:45:24 AM »

My motto is don't ask don't tell  :couch:

:agree:

ViciousNoob

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 04:48:01 AM »

I took the test and after everything was set and done, the only thing it did was disencourage  me to carry my gun...

How did the test "disencourage" you from carrying? My instructor really made me realize how much a properly armed citizen can help law enforcement officers as well as themselves. Maybe your instructor was disgruntled and just doing the class to make a buck or two. You should take the class with my instructor. We learned about conflict resolution w/o needing to draw down on someone, real life scenerios and how we would have reacted to them, anger management practices.... Not just, "If someone makes you mad, cap their Cranberries". We learned about the difference in crime rate that a CCL makes in a state. It was interesting, captivating, and made me excited that I was going to join the ranks of those who have decided to not be a victim. It also made me realize the huge responsibility I will have in carrying a .45acp that can take the lives of 8 people per clip is, and really made me respect the human life.

And as far as "Don't ask, don't tell", I want everyone to know that I am armed. If a bad guy has the choice of mugging, robbing, and killing someone who is unarmed and someone who they are 100% sure has a firearm on their hip and can part the hairs on a gnat's Cranberries at 30 yards with it....I'm pretty sure I know who they would choose.

I'd much rather them know that I have a weapon, so they move to the next "victim" and leave me alone. I don't want to shoot anyone. But as my instructor said, "I'd much rather have it and not need it than ned it and not have it...."
If I wasn't n00b, I sure would want to be!!! ;-)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 08:29:28 AM »

Well done, Mike.

There are some instructors out there who present some questionable "advice" and misinformation; perhaps Gabe encountered one of those. I have heard of one, who is or was a Harris County Sheriff's Deputy, who presents outright BS. Some friends of mine took his class a few years ago, and called to ask me about some of his statements. I hope he's figured it out by now or else his reputation has shot him out of an instructor's license.

When you take the class you receive, in the application packet, a digest of the applicable laws. I recommend that you go over those, and question the instructor on anything you aren't sure you understand or you think he/she has misstated. During the class is the time to clear up any misconceptions. You can download that digest of the laws on the TXDPS website, under the 'concealed handgun' section. If you plan to take the class (or not) you might benefit from reviewing those statutes beforehand. I do a pretest in my classes (the grade does not count toward the final score; it's for my information only); it's not required but it gives me an understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, and misconceptions that the class has about the laws going into the class. It also helps set the students into the proper mindset to learn the material. In my last class a woman with no firearms experience studied that digest before the class and she scored 100% on the pretest and on the final.

A note to anyone planning to take the course: A lot of new shooters show up (in my classes, and in the ones my friends teach) with new guns and rusty skills. If you can't run your gun competently, and if you can't handle it safely, you need to rectify those shortcomings before you take the course. We're not looking for Olympic-class shooters, but we DO have a responsibility to the public to ensure that CHL holders will not be a hazard to the general public. You have a right to bear arms to defend yourself and your family, but that right comes with a responsibility.

02 1800C

DEMON

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 10:37:00 AM »

The instructor was not bad at all, he just told it like it was... but I drink beer, I got to 50% places and I stop by some federal building often so as you can see, I will not drink a beer and carry a gun, that is a major deal, I'll rather enjoy my beer than be packing.  I know alot of guys that would walk to a bar while they carrie a gun, not me...

xcaliber

• Board
  • Elvis
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 10:58:17 AM »

The instructor was not bad at all, he just told it like it was... but I drink beer, I got to 50% places and I stop by some federal building often so as you can see, I will not drink a beer and carry a gun, that is a major deal, I'll rather enjoy my beer than be packing.  I know alot of guys that would walk to a bar while they carrie a gun, not me...
Of all the stuff I have seen you post, this is without doubt the wisest thing ever. Carrying a firearm is a serious responsibilty and not for everyone. Well done. Other than the LEO's here ,I probably have the best reason to carry than anyone as I carry product that can be fenced in a second and often end up carrying a large amount of cash while working in the worst neighborhoods in the state. I don't carry. Not against it , just choose not to.
It's all just part of the adventure!

larry_357

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 02:00:07 PM »

I have had mine for almost a year and what I have noticed is most places of business do not have the correct signs if they do not want you to carry in their place of business.If I am out on the bike may or may not carry depending on where I might stop for some refreshments lol.
Alvin,Texas

DEMON

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 06:01:47 PM »

how many of you are willing to admit that you drink while you carrie?  I mean is bad enough we drink while we ride, but drink, ride and pack is too much for me.

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »

Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2010, 06:04:45 PM »

Well done, Mike.

There are some instructors out there who present some questionable "advice" and misinformation; perhaps Gabe encountered one of those. I have heard of one, who is or was a Harris County Sheriff's Deputy, who presents outright BS. Some friends of mine took his class a few years ago, and called to ask me about some of his statements. I hope he's figured it out by now or else his reputation has shot him out of an instructor's license.

When you take the class you receive, in the application packet, a digest of the applicable laws. I recommend that you go over those, and question the instructor on anything you aren't sure you understand or you think he/she has misstated. During the class is the time to clear up any misconceptions. You can download that digest of the laws on the TXDPS website, under the 'concealed handgun' section. If you plan to take the class (or not) you might benefit from reviewing those statutes beforehand. I do a pretest in my classes (the grade does not count toward the final score; it's for my information only); it's not required but it gives me an understanding of the strengths, weaknesses, and misconceptions that the class has about the laws going into the class. It also helps set the students into the proper mindset to learn the material. In my last class a woman with no firearms experience studied that digest before the class and she scored 100% on the pretest and on the final.

A note to anyone planning to take the course: A lot of new shooters show up (in my classes, and in the ones my friends teach) with new guns and rusty skills. If you can't run your gun competently, and if you can't handle it safely, you need to rectify those shortcomings before you take the course. We're not looking for Olympic-class shooters, but we DO have a responsibility to the public to ensure that CHL holders will not be a hazard to the general public. You have a right to bear arms to defend yourself and your family, but that right comes with a responsibility.

Jim, as usual, you are the voice of reason!!!!
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Morgan Buchanan

• Texas X Rider OverLord
    • Fantastic Opportunity!  Look and ask me about it!
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 01:18:29 PM »

http://www.texaschlforum.com/  Another great resource for TX CHL folks.
My now long gone VTX...
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal