Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Got an odd problem, any ideas?  (Read 4165 times)

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
Got an odd problem, any ideas?
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »

I need help diagnosing a problem. 

Here is my setup, VTX 1800neo, PC3 w/zero map, factory airbox, factory exaust w/ baffles removed(catalitic still intact), 1300 rear end and a CT out back. I've only got 12000 miles on it.

Stealer said I had piston slap.  They replaced the pistons and cylinders.  Everything is fine now.  The reason I brought it in is it sounded like a disel.  What causes this issue, and how can it be fixed so this doesn't happen again. 

Could it be idle?  I noticed now it idles about 1200, before was closer to 850. 

Is there any notification of oil pressure.

A/F mix pissibly?

I'm kinda lost here. Please help.

*Closet Darksider*

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
Re: Got an odd problem, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:47:01 PM »

Well, I know that some will drop the idle so it has more of a lope.  That will eventually damage the engine if you start hearing a slight pinging noise.  You're effectively messing with the detonation.  If you hear that noise then bump it up enough so that it stops.

I can't say if that's what actually caused your problem because it's so rare that these motors have to be dug into.  I think you and Gabe's new bike he got from Ron are the only two I've seen that needed to be taken all the way down.
Chunk the llama.

tom cat

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 08:41:37 PM »

I have read about people claiming their PC3 failed. It dumps way too much gas washing oil out of the cylinders. See Kevin's post about how his PC3 killed his bike on VTXOA.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 08:26:36 AM »

I think Dusty had a similar problem that he healed somehow.  Maybe he will see your post and share his wisdom.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

RedDragon

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2010, 08:35:17 AM »

I think you and Gabe's new bike he got from Ron are the only two I've seen that needed to be taken all the way down.

Out of all the honda's made and only two sake partys at the plant!

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2010, 09:10:13 AM »

I think you and Gabe's new bike he got from Ron are the only two I've seen that needed to be taken all the way down.

Unfortunately soon to be three....got a suspected cam bearing issue that needs attention. When you fire it up and let off on the throttle, I hear a metallic "thud"/"clunk" sound, if I give it a little gas, it stops; but sitting on it and dropping it into gear and easing off the clutch (w/ the front brake engaged of course), you can hear it as well. Such is life, think I'[ve found a reliable wrench here...I guess I'll find out soon enough?!
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2010, 02:32:02 PM »

That's how mine started.  then the metalic tud/tick became constant but only at idle and about 2500 rpms.  other than that is was quiet.  Compression got very low....to the point where I could acutally push start it.  Honda covered the parts (cylinders, pistons, etc) and labor.  I had to pay for diagnostic and teardown time. Seemed kinda crappy, but what can ya do?

*Closet Darksider*

RedDragon

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »

Unfortunately soon to be three....got a suspected cam bearing issue that needs attention. When you fire it up and let off on the throttle, I hear a metallic "thud"/"clunk" sound, if I give it a little gas, it stops; but sitting on it and dropping it into gear and easing off the clutch (w/ the front brake engaged of course), you can hear it as well. Such is life, think I'[ve found a reliable wrench here...I guess I'll find out soon enough?!
Sorry to hear that Jeff.

So much for your bulletproof engine comments Brock!  :stickpoke:

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »

Sorry to hear that Jeff.

So much for your bulletproof engine comments Brock!  :stickpoke:
Thanks, bro...it is what it is I reckon...never seen a "bulletproof" machine myself?!
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 01:18:13 PM »

That's how mine started.  then the metalic tud/tick became constant but only at idle and about 2500 rpms.  other than that is was quiet.  Compression got very low....to the point where I could acutally push start it.  Honda covered the parts (cylinders, pistons, etc) and labor.  I had to pay for diagnostic and teardown time. Seemed kinda crappy, but what can ya do?

Can't say for sure but it sounds more like you had a problem with the decompression starting circuit than piston slap.  "Piston slap" is a term given to excessive piston to cyclinder wall clearance in an engine. Unless you had 100K plus miles or you operated the bike with no air filter on it for a long time, I find it VERY hard to believe the cylinders were worn out. Much more likey the decompression circuit was hanging open and you nwere losing compression as a result.  The fact the sound was gone or reduced with engine speed, supports the decompression mechimisum............ not excessive piston/cylinder clearance. 
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

bluestreak

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 01:28:35 PM »

Well, I know that some will drop the idle so it has more of a lope.  That will eventually damage the engine if you start hearing a slight pinging noise.  You're effectively messing with the detonation.

The noise you may or might hear if the idle is reduced to a point of loping............... is defintley NOT detonation. It's just a rough slow idle due to the fact there isn't enough flywheel mass to carry the rotating crankshaft/assembly to the next combustion cycle smoothly.
AMA Life Member #xxx445
Cureent Rides:
73 Yamaha RD 350
85 Yamaha RZ 350
79 Yamaha Daytona 400
82 Honda V45 Sabre 750
08 Honda Goldwing Airbag
03 ApriliaTuono Racing 998
82 Yamaha YZ 250
02 Honda VTX 1800C
06 Yamaha YZF-R1
06 Yamaha YZF-R1 LE
02 Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Bike

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 03:31:03 PM »

I'm not referring to the loping sound...I'm referring to the pinging noise.  Every VTX that I've heard that gets WAY too low to where it sounds like it's just barely running, has a pinging/ting noise like dropping a quarter on metal.
Chunk the llama.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 04:36:47 PM »

I'm not referring to the loping sound...I'm referring to the pinging noise.  Every VTX that I've heard that gets WAY too low to where it sounds like it's just barely running, has a pinging/ting noise like dropping a quarter on metal.

:popcorn: Alright Bluestreak rebuttle please
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 05:13:22 PM »

Can't say for sure but it sounds more like you had a problem with the decompression starting circuit than piston slap.  "Piston slap" is a term given to excessive piston to cyclinder wall clearance in an engine. Unless you had 100K plus miles or you operated the bike with no air filter on it for a long time, I find it VERY hard to believe the cylinders were worn out. Much more likey the decompression circuit was hanging open and you nwere losing compression as a result.  The fact the sound was gone or reduced with engine speed, supports the decompression mechimisum............ not excessive piston/cylinder clearance. 

Would that cause extreme scaring of the piston?  It look like a dirtbike piston after 2 years of racing.  All of the cross hatching was gone.

*Closet Darksider*

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »

Do these machines actually have a decompression mech.?

*Closet Darksider*
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal