Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blahhh  (Read 3008 times)

jedishon

• Old Timer
  • Katy, Tx
Blahhh
« on: January 26, 2010, 07:55:23 AM »

Strange day yesterday.  I stopped in the morning and filled up with gas. Started it back up and went to reset the trip meter. Both were reset to zero. I didn't do it. Got stuck behind an accident and sat on the freeway for an hour. When I tried to restart the bike it went blahhh, tried a half dozen more times just went blahhh. A guy named Bruce pulled over to help, said he used to have an X and offered to jump it. Fired right up with the jump. Fired right up after work. I have noticed lately that it is hard to start if its warmed up. Any ideas?

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Deer Park, Tx
Re: Blahhh
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 08:00:03 AM »

If the trip reset then the battery has come disconnected or died.  The first thing to try is tightening the terminals.  After that, if you ride around for a while and it's still won't start or it's hard to start then the battery is either dying or it's not getting charged.

How old is the battery?
Chunk the llama.

TheWatcher

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 08:20:18 AM »

If the trip reset then the battery has come disconnected or died.  The first thing to try is tightening the terminals.  After that, if you ride around for a while and it's still won't start or it's hard to start then the battery is either dying or it's not getting charged.

How old is the battery?

:agree: Let me know if you need any help.

:couch:
AKA: Vteeman on the VTXOA Site (Seldom seen there anymore)
2002 VTX 1800 C (Gone but not forgotten)
2012 Gold Wing Nav/XM

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2010, 09:12:20 AM »

How old is the battery?

:agree:  Exactly what I was going to say.  I have had loose battery connections and a dying battery before and that is exactly what happens.
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

jedishon

• Old Timer
  • Katy, Tx
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2010, 09:16:02 AM »

Gonna take the battery out and have it checked tonight. Its only 2 years old. Thanks for the tips and the offers.

Dusty

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2010, 01:51:07 PM »

What year did Honda fix the the ground problems?

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2010, 01:55:02 PM »

In '03 they fixed 1 which was by the battery under the bike I believe.  I don't think they ever really fixed the coils.
Chunk the llama.

txvtxn

• Tejano
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2010, 03:28:34 PM »

Strange day yesterday.  I stopped in the morning and filled up with gas. Started it back up and went to reset the trip meter. Both were reset to zero. I didn't do it. Got stuck behind an accident and sat on the freeway for an hour. When I tried to restart the bike it went blahhh, tried a half dozen more times just went blahhh. A guy named Bruce pulled over to help, said he used to have an X and offered to jump it. Fired right up with the jump. Fired right up after work. I have noticed lately that it is hard to start if its warmed up. Any ideas?

Hey jedishon...that was me that helped you out Monday morning!  I still have my "X" and am glad to hear that it fired right up for you after work.  I just posted on the VTX Cafe about what happened to see if I could find you and came over here to do the same.  Like others have said, check your battery connections and make sure they are tight.  When you do, tighten them with a socket, not a screwdriver and you will get them really tight.

On a side note, will you be attending the M&G in Richmond?  If so, see you there!!

Ride SAFE.  Don't put your ego before your brains.

MRVTX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Magnolia, TX
    • What I do...
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2010, 10:46:06 PM »

Just be careful not to crank down on the terminals if you use the socket.  Someone on the VTXOA site cranked down too hard and wound up having to get a new battery!  :ohwow:

jedishon

• Old Timer
  • Katy, Tx
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2010, 09:18:39 AM »

Took the battery to O'Rileys, tested at 200 amps and 12.48 volts. Went to put it back in the bike and dropped one of the nuts. It's in the bike some where, never to be found again. So tonight it loos like I might be grinding the points off of a nut. At least you will not be able to honestly tell me I have a screw loose, just a nut. Probably not going to make it tonight.

txvtxn pretty cool that your here too.

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2010, 10:10:47 AM »

Jerry, we wouldn't mind at all if you showed up in your car...bring you wife along again too  :c
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2010, 10:58:40 AM »

:agree:
Chunk the llama.

txvtxn

• Tejano
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2010, 11:29:38 AM »

:agree: with Lucky.  Hope to see you there!

Ride SAFE.  Don't put your ego before your brains.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2010, 09:21:51 PM »

you say "blahhh", could you elaborate a little more. does it try to turn over, make just a clicking sound, or do absolutely nothing at all. if the battery and connections are good and you've done the ground fix, here's the link for the fix, good stuff. http://www.vtxoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205905
i would be willing to bet your starter switch needs to be cleaned and here is the link for that. http://www.rattlebars.com/mtz/starter.html
mine started to get a little sluggish as well when warmed up, heat is the killer of electronics. cleaned my switch and no more problems. good luck and let us know how it turns out. ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »

Took the battery to O'Rileys, tested at 200 amps and 12.48 volts. Went to put it back in the bike and dropped one of the nuts. It's in the bike some where, never to be found again. So tonight it loos like I might be grinding the points off of a nut. At least you will not be able to honestly tell me I have a screw loose, just a nut. Probably not going to make it tonight.

txvtxn pretty cool that your here too.

Hey there bud, we are having out problems --- pretty sure I at least know what mine is, gonna get taken care of this weekend.  :thumbup: :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal