Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OT--Dodge pickup question  (Read 2226 times)

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
OT--Dodge pickup question
« on: January 03, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »

A bit off topic, but I thought someone here might have some pertinent knowledge. My work ride is an 09 Dodge pickup. The truck has an entry alarm that goes off all the time; lights flashing and horn blasting. Sometimes two or three times a night. Several times while I have been standing next to it, so I know no one has been trying to enter the truck. I have no way that I know of to turn it off (the manual's no help). It's on any time the vehicle's locked. The dealership kept it three days and said it never went off. The service manager even told me that I don't have an entry alarm on that truck. I pulled the fuses to the dual horns, but the alarm apparently has its own horn; it went off less than an hour later.

When I wired up the radio and emergency equipment I ran a 6 gauge wire from the battery to a fuse block; everything is powered through the fuse block, and I haven't tied into anything else. All of my equipment is grounded through a separate frame ground, so I don't even share grounds with any other circuits. Anybody have any ideas? Any specific Dodge entry alarm knowledge? I can't leave the truck unlocked, and I don't want to deal with that &%$@*#! alarm any more. I need the truck; I'm busy as a longtailed cat in a roomful of rocking chairs at work and I can't leave it at the dealership for weeks while they wait for somebody to think of something.

Somebody help!!!
02 1800C

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
Re: OT--Dodge pickup question
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »

what I would do is try to locate the alarm brain you should be able to turn down the sensitivity of the shock sensor thats whats setting the alarm off. They are not easy to find some times you can trace the wires back from the system horn/what ever is making the offending sound this will take time but its the only way I know to do it.

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 08:18:27 PM »

The alarm horn might be mounted against the firewall. The shock sensor is usually mounted on top of the steering column under the dash. Most of the sensors have a small adjustment knob sticking out one side.

Try locking the doors without using the key fob or the electric button. Push the manual knob and then close the door. That might allow the truck to be locked without the alarm armed.

(Keep the 1911 holstered!)
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 09:33:52 PM »

Question: is the noise a horn or a siren?  What kind of remote do you have?

If its aftermarket alarm, then I would look for a shock sensor as they said before.  One way to do that, (if you’re not sure what you are looking for) is look for a small box with a dial or a hole in it. Most of them have an indicator light on them.  If you pull it in the garage, turn the lights off, and wedge a penny in the door sensor, knock the steering wheel pretty hard and you'll see a red led light up.  I've always tied 'em to hard wire harnesses. This way it dampens the vibration.   Turn the dial till the red light turns off.

If it's keyless entry, it's a little more difficult to figure out.  I'd test each sensor individually.  Some systems have a underhood sensor. 

I had an integra that had a trunk sensor that wore through the shielding, and when it started to cool off; it would ground out, turn on the trunk light, activate the security system, and sound the horn. You car will actually shiver as it cools off.

Totally seperate idea, When you turn off your truck, does the radio turn off?

*Closet Darksider*

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »

there are a ton of answers under a search for "how do I turn off my car alarm"

Apparently this is a very common problem based on the 14 million hits I got.

Good luck.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

T-BIRD

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »

this may help that last part of the article may help determine what alarm you have by the remote if it is aftermarket. do you have a valet switch to turn it off

http://en.allexperts.com/q/Car-Alarms-1513/2009/8/Truck-Alarm-2.htm
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 05:55:51 PM by T-BIRD »
>Make yours @ BigHugeLabs.com
<a href="http://bighugelabs.com/map.php" style="font-size: 75%">Make yours @ BigHugeLab

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »

Thanks for the replies. I just now got to get on the site to read them. Let me clarify:

It's a factory system. It is apparently only an entry alarm; as far as I know there are no motion sensors or vibration sensors (according to the owner's manual, which it seems the service techs aren't allowed to read). It is armed any time the vehicle is locked, and a red light on the dash flashes. I can't find the horn or control, and I can't find anything to trace to them. The light in the dash is where I would have to dismantle the dash to get to it. The truck even has factory applied stickers on the windshield for the alarm the service manager says I don't have. All I want is for it to work correctly or be removed; I don't care which. I just don't want to go without a ride for months while the clowns in the dealer's service department try to figure out whether I have a factory-installed entry alarm, and I don't want to explain why I had to leave the truck unlocked to let the thieves have my radio, siren, and control box. Sheesh!
02 1800C

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 07:45:07 PM »

If you use the key to lock it instead of the remote, the "factory secruity system" shouldn't arm.

Thanks for the replies. I just now got to get on the site to read them. Let me clarify:

It's a factory system. It is apparently only an entry alarm; as far as I know there are no motion sensors or vibration sensors (according to the owner's manual, which it seems the service techs aren't allowed to read). It is armed any time the vehicle is locked, and a red light on the dash flashes. I can't find the horn or control, and I can't find anything to trace to them. The light in the dash is where I would have to dismantle the dash to get to it. The truck even has factory applied stickers on the windshield for the alarm the service manager says I don't have. All I want is for it to work correctly or be removed; I don't care which. I just don't want to go without a ride for months while the clowns in the dealer's service department try to figure out whether I have a factory-installed entry alarm, and I don't want to explain why I had to leave the truck unlocked to let the thieves have my radio, siren, and control box. Sheesh!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 07:48:52 PM by twistedrcpilot »

*Closet Darksider*

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 08:05:30 PM »

"Totally seperate idea, When you turn off your truck, does the radio turn off?"

The police radio runs through the fuse block; it's controlled by its own power button. The goodtime radio stays on for several minutes after the ignition is turned off, after the time lapse it turns off. It goes off immediately (with the ignition off) when the door is opened.
02 1800C

Ironhorse1800

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »

Do you turn the work radio off at night? The speaker vibration in your cab sets off your alarm? Could that be it?
Ironhorse1800 -My 2004 1800 N S3

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 11:13:47 PM »

Do you turn the work radio off at night? The speaker vibration in your cab sets off your alarm? Could that be it?

Quite possible, but more than likely if its a keyless entry, then there is no shock sensor.

When you get some time off, pull the fuses on the radio and let the truck sit over night.

maybe a back feed problem.   

*Closet Darksider*

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 05:03:42 PM »

Everything's turned off at night. It's a keyless entry.
02 1800C

VTreX

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Rubythroatedhumming VT-reX Temple TX
    • http://www.patriotguard.org/photos/listpics.asp?a=show&ID=395
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 08:36:30 PM »

Ask one of your car thieves!!! :redcard: :redcard: :redcard: :ohwow: :c I have an 09 Dodge truck with no problem``` :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
03-C U-green It is neither those in the round nor the square that reach the top, but those in the spiral.... Now have added a red ''07 Gold Wing with everything except an AIRBAG!!  SOLD THE WING  SAD DAY!!

murray_61

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Hobe Sound, FL
    • facebook
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »

might register & check w/ these guys:  http://www.ramforumz.com/index.php

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal