Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: HELP! Running on one cylinder  (Read 1291 times)

blingbling

• Rider
  • BlingBling (Tyler,TX)
HELP! Running on one cylinder
« on: August 09, 2006, 09:18:56 PM »

Ok guys I need some suggestion. My 2002 1800 VTX has started cutting out one cylinder. It does this under power or sitting still. Its like one cylinder goes dead and then it will spring back to life for no real reason. I did the complete ground thing as suggested by Tapper today. I got on the bike and ran it and this time it acted differant but still cut out. This time I could roll the throtle wide open mostly in fustration and found that the dead cylinder would come to life. I stopped at the store and added a liberal amount of chem tool and turned the idle screw rather aggresivly open. Rode the next four miles without a problem. It was dark so I stoped and will investagate further tommorow. Any suggestion or ideas would be great.

Doug
Tyler TX
Doug Courson

ridinrev

Re: HELP! Running on one cylinder
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 09:48:16 PM »

I had a similar problem and found it to be the large wiring harness connector that connects to the ECU module under the riders seat. It had a pinched wire and everytime I would apply pressure either by sitting a certain way on the seat or applying pressure on the front of the seat, 1 cylinder would drop out. Check you wiring harness connections.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006, 10:16:12 PM by ridinrev »

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 07:26:43 AM »

Also, have you checked the plugs since you did the ground fix? If they were mostly fouled, they might not run right till cleaned/replaced.
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 12:05:54 PM »

Also, have you checked the plugs since you did the ground fix? If they were mostly fouled, they might not run right till cleaned/replaced.

Especially the right rear and front left. My right rear seems to always build up crud faster than the rest.

snake

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • What a ride it's been!
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »

LOL! ;D :o Ohhh. you said your REAR this time, I thought you had told me it was your....
:ohwow: signed: A reality-challenged left wingnut!
     420! Yeah, baby!

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 08:15:59 PM »

You might also get a magnifying glass and check the pin plugs on your wiring harness at the ECU. I've seen a damaged pin cause exactly the problem you're experiencing. But first, are you getting any codes from your FI light?
02 1800C

blingbling

• Rider
  • BlingBling (Tyler,TX)
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2006, 03:18:29 PM »

Well I want to thank all you guys that made suggestions. I used everyone of them. As a matter of fact I did some many things that I am not sure what I did that might have fixed the problem. I have put just over 20 miles on the bike and no problems so far. I did the ground fix, cleaned plugs and inspect wires, added chem tool to the gas with an idle adjustment along with disconnecting the ECU wires and reconnected also tucked all the wires neatly and carefully under the seat. For now the Gremlins seem to have been scared away. Thanks again,

Doug
Tyler, Tx
Will see you guys at the Rally. I will have a house on Crystal beach.
Doug Courson

VTeXan

• Old Timer
  • Pearland
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 09:30:42 PM »

I had the same thing happen.  It went away after doing a ground fix and making sure all my wiring was tight.

Brian
I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants.

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal