Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Anyone in the DFW area  (Read 2013 times)

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
Anyone in the DFW area
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »

Done the Valve adjustment I have right around 9K on the bike been I was quoted 200.00 from Maxim Honda I have the manual I have never worked on a bike
Just don't want to mess it up so basically asking for some help to do it.

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
Re: Anyone in the DFW area
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »

Have done or wanting to do???

I was also afraid to venture into the unknown.  However, after a buddy showed me the first valve, it was cake.   :thumbup:   Did my first at 17,000, only a couple (intake) really needed adjusting.

If I would have just followed the instructions that I had downloaded from the vtxoa board, bareasschoppers or the California board (yes, I downloaded all 3), I would have been fine.   :c     I do think it is much easier with an assist from a buddy.

The 4mm tappet wrench is better, but not required, I used a 4mm igniton wrench from a set at Sears (I would hate to think if I had dropped it in though; so get the tappet if possible); others have used a cresent.  You also need Offset wrenches, mine were from Harbor Freight and have more of an offset than others.  Last, make sure you have the set of angled guages.   :bikerider:

Gumbo, VTXChad and others will tell you...it is not near as tough as it may seem.  8)
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

Gumbo, VTXChad and others will tell you...it is not near as tough as it may seem.  8)

What is it your trying to say? It's so easy, even a Gumbo can do it?   :pot: :stickpoke:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 03:00:39 PM by hooter »
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 03:27:30 PM »

Gumbo, VTXChad and others will tell you...it is not near as tough as it may seem.  8)

What is it your trying to say? It's so easy, even a Gumbo can do it?   :pot: :stickpoke:

What you talken bout Willis O0
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 03:44:24 PM »

Have done or wanting to do???

I was also afraid to venture into the unknown.  However, after a buddy showed me the first valve, it was cake.   :thumbup:   Did my first at 17,000, only a couple (intake) really needed adjusting.

If I would have just followed the instructions that I had downloaded from the vtxoa board, bareasschoppers or the California board (yes, I downloaded all 3), I would have been fine.   :c     I do think it is much easier with an assist from a buddy.

The 4mm tappet wrench is better, but not required, I used a 4mm igniton wrench from a set at Sears (I would hate to think if I had dropped it in though; so get the tappet if possible); others have used a cresent.  You also need Offset wrenches, mine were from Harbor Freight and have more of an offset than others.  Last, make sure you have the set of angled guages.   :bikerider:

Gumbo, VTXChad and others will tell you...it is not near as tough as it may seem.  8)

I want to do it myself but as you said its the fear of the unknown

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 08:23:17 PM »

Yes, Hooter...even a Coona$$  :lunch:  can do this one with a squirrel in their mouth.  :t    Not that he is, I am just say'in... :couch:
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 08:41:54 PM »

Yes, Hooter...even a Coona$$  :lunch:  can do this one with a squirrel in their mouth.  :t    Not that he is, I am just say'in... :couch:

We'll deal with Hooter at the BBT - I know he aint coming to the Lone Star Rally  :t :t :stickpoke:

He'll come around when he smells what the CoonA$$'s are cookin  :pot: and he better have some refreshments as a peace offering.  :thumbup: :thumbup:
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 07:02:28 AM »

We'll deal with Hooter at the BBT - I know he aint coming to the Lone Star Rally  :t :t :stickpoke:

He'll come around when he smells what the CoonA$$'s are cookin  :pot: and he better have some refreshments as a peace offering.  :thumbup: :thumbup:

Nope can't make the Lone Star but you know the BBT ain't that far off and you done promised a hog coon'assed style and as far as refeshments go, hell man, you always know I got the cooler straped on the back of Old Blue. Reach down into that ice and grab you a cold can, pull the ring, and smile real big and show us both of your teeth!

:stickpoke:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »

:reaction: No Tweety, you can do it.

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 02:15:04 PM »

:redcard:   :agree:  Yes, you can do it!  Go to the boards and download the step-by-step. 
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 09:10:35 PM »

I would have loved to do it myself but NOT by myself the first time maybe there will be a tech day some where I could attend to get an Idea what it takes. I have been in the offroad world for years if you have any issues with a Nissan 3.0 or 3.3L V6 I got you covered I converted my 2K Nissan frontier from a 2wd to 4x4 and last summer I SASed it running a Dana 44 front and rear with a 3 link front end. Bikes scare me when it comes to major work.

My baby

Tweetys_Revenge

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 09:39:41 AM »

Took it to Rockwall Honda cost me 160.00 it was worth it to me they also fixed a few things I did not ask them to at no cost really good experiance I will go back when the bike needs more work that I cant do myself.

Xwrecker

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 10:38:40 AM »

Sad thing about dealers is I have heard a lot of people say that they "listen" to the motor and if it "sounds ok" they do nothing, Dude... if you can do all that other wrenching on your 4x4, a bike should be a breeze. For your engines sake, try it yourself next time. I have also heard of guys having a dealer do their valves, and later de-smoging after they got new pipes on, and while they are at the valves they double check them and they were tight.     

A dealer aint yo friend... they are in it to make money. 

just saying.....

b-rad

• Old Timer
  • Rowlett, TX
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 11:37:23 AM »

Tweety - I just got my hands on a service manual for my 1300. I may be digging in to mine pretty soon just to make sure they're OK. If I feel comfortable with the process, maybe we can get together to check yours as well.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal