Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Yet another noise...  (Read 4101 times)

etx-vtx

• Rider
  • "You're only young once, but you can be immature f
Yet another noise...
« on: August 04, 2006, 01:16:48 PM »

Hello all,

I've noticed a new noise on my X. It is an irregular rattle that sounds as though something is bouncing or rattling around. It seems to be coming from either the final drive or the transmission. It occurs only at certain speeds and gears... around 52-53 mph(on the speedo) in 3rd gear, 60-61 mph in 4th gear and at 70-71 mph in 5th gear. I don't really notice it if I'm accelerating/decelerating through those points but holding steady it's noticeable.

I took it to the dealer and they test rode it and could not hear it, but they said that there was a little drive lash. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't drive lash just the "looseness" or "play" in the drive train?

Anyway, the noise concerns me. Has anybody had this happen to them? Any suggestions?

BTW, I have an '05 1300C w/ 19,000+/- miles on it.

Thanks in advance,

ETX-VTX
'05 1300C Black w/ Memphis Fats 21" & Lowers, V&H Bigshots, Stebel Horn

TexasDave

Re: Yet another noise...
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2006, 01:21:25 PM »

I had an '05 1300 C also and noticed an occasional rattling ... turns out the speedo housing was loose.

etx-vtx

• Rider
  • "You're only young once, but you can be immature f
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2006, 01:23:32 PM »

It's not the speedo or the headlight... I've already fixed those.

ETX-VTX
'05 1300C Black w/ Memphis Fats 21" & Lowers, V&H Bigshots, Stebel Horn

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2006, 05:24:48 PM »

your correct on the lash statement, just the play between the gears. as far as the rattle i can't help you with. you may try looking on the national board. it's vtxoa.com. search in the 1300 tech board. good luck and ride safe.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2006, 09:34:49 PM by Crewsn »
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2006, 08:40:29 PM »

Check the heat shields on the exhaust; from there just check everything for loose fasteners.
02 1800C

RobDogg

• Old Timer
  • Sanger, TX (North Denton)
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2006, 09:05:42 PM »

Check the heat shields on the exhaust; from there just check everything for loose fasteners.
Ditto.

Some rattles I've had to fix:
Headlight
License plate bracket
Broken heat shield mount
Buckles of a bag hitting the fender
Shifter linkage hitting cover (still haven't fixed this one)

Drive lash will cause more of a clunk and maybe a whirr or whine, but not a rattle.
RobDogg

"No Child Should Live In Fear"
link--> B.A.C.A - Bikers Against Child Abuse

'03 1800C - Customized by me, for me, the way I want it.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2006, 08:27:49 AM »

Check the plastic door on your tool box.  Mine never stays shut.  Take your finger and tap gently on all the plastic covers.

Option - get louder pipes. :)

Jerry

Ditto Jerry.  Sometimes one or more of the rubber grommets that hold the covers gets pushed through and lost. Especially if the covers are replaced without lubricant.  There is a buzz type rattle when the grommet is missing.  As Jerry said, louder pipes cures this problem.  So does a $.50 grommet.
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

hmrct

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 08:02:24 AM »

Yeah, this is an old topic, but in spite of successful diagnostic and fabrication work by Tapper and friends w.r.t. the flange bearing issue, I'm still having problems identifying the source of the driveline noise on my 2007 VTX 1300C.

Similar to the original poster, I've got a noise *somewhere* in the drivetrain that only shows up at certain narrow speed ranges, and only when the drivetrain is unloaded, i.e., coasting (clutch pulled in, or absolutely neither accelerating nor decelerating).  The noise first became audible around the 8,000 mile mark, and at approx. 27 mph.  Fast forward to a year and a half later with 32,000+ miles on the odometer, and the noise is *much* louder, and now is audible at just under 60 mph and 70 mph (indicated -- not gonna rehash all the VTX speedometer accuracy issues).  The noise is not unlike what I imagine gravel in a hubcap would sound like.  It's easy to reproduce by finding a slight downhill incline (maybe .5-1 degree), accelerating to 30 mph, then pulling in the clutch and coasting down through 26 mph.

I've tried to narrow down where the noise is coming from.  Could be anywhere from the final drive unit on back, but it's definitely in that area, and it's definitely not exhaust shielding (different rattle -- got that one fixed) or anything else other than a drivetrain component.

Since I've got a decent pre-paid maintenance plan from my dealership, I had 'em take a look at the flange bearing set, which they replaced under warranty.  Not too surprisingly, they botched the bearing replacement: you should have heard the clunking, scraping, and metallic squealing I heard the first mile after leaving the shop.  It was bad enough that I turned the bike around and started heading back to the shop.  Thought the better of giving 'em another crack at hosing me when the worst of the alarming noises went away.  Approx. 70 miles later, I'm pretty sure the job will have to be redone fairly soon.  Oh, and the original noise is still there too :-(.

The dealer's next guess at where the noise is coming from is whatever's behind the front drive shaft coupling.  They noted what they considered "abnormal" wear on the spline shaft where the front of the drive shaft attaches.  Naturally, an incompletely installed trailer hitch that has provably never been used was a convenient excuse for avoiding covering *that* work under warranty: the estimate for the part plus 15.7 hours of labor ran between $2,600 and $3,000 (gotta remove the engine and crack the case to get to the component that supposedly needs replacing).  Ain't gonna happen, and I probably wouldn't have approved the work even if they *had* agreed to cover it under warranty (which they *should*): I just don't trust 'em to do work of that magnitude correctly.

So...  Anyone got contact info for Tapper (VTXOA handle) in Allen, TX?  I need to make an appointment to have someone intimately familiar with the VTX final drive noise issues give my ride a thorough going over, and making the ride up from San Antonio is a non-issue.  Shame on Honda for allowing this kind of design/manufacturing issue to make it out the door, and double-shame on them for not officially fessin' up and fixing it.

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:04:03 AM »

I don't think Tapper works on bikes anymore. He hasn't been around since he hurt his back a few years ago.

hmrct

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 03:19:03 PM »

I don't think Tapper works on bikes anymore. He hasn't been around since he hurt his back a few years ago.

Very sorry to hear that, but I understand.  That's what I get for being late to the party  :banghead:.  Any recommendations as far as wrenches of his (assumed by reputation) caliber?  Anywhere along the I-35 / U.S. 281 corridor would be preferred, to include Oklahoma.  Otherwise, pretty much anywhere in Texas is a possibility as long as the person being recommended thoroughly understands and appreciates how much Honda isn't helping with the drivetrain issues.

Sigh...  The reported/observed 75% defect rate (admittedly as of 2006-2007) on *new* flange bearing sets doesn't inspire confidence, and it doesn't help that the bearings can be damaged using the (then current) factory-recommended tools and procedures.  Just don't want to risk another botched bearing installation (or worse).

As usual, thanks in advance for recommendations.  If I end up finding a good mechanic on my own, I'll certainly report back...  For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure I could twist my own wrenches if I could clear enough space in my garage for the required motorcycle stand and jack, neither of which I presently own.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 04:10:25 PM »

To change out the flange bearings isn't a hard job to do!
If you need some help I can leand you some. I am in North East of Dallas area!
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal