Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Rear Wheel Bearings  (Read 2181 times)

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
Rear Wheel Bearings
« on: October 01, 2009, 03:39:29 PM »

Wayne needs to replace his rear wheel bearings.  We have been told that it requires a special tool to get the bearings back in.  Is there anyone in the Houston area that has the tool and knowledge on replacing rear wheel bearings on an 1800C?  Would appreciate help, aid and assistance on this.  Would like to order bearings on HDL tonight if I find out in time.  Thanks all
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
Re: Rear Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 03:51:39 PM »

I think it's called a hammer  ;)
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:06:23 PM »

Wayne needs to replace his rear wheel bearings.  We have been told that it requires a special tool to get the bearings back in.  Is there anyone in the Houston area that has the tool and knowledge on replacing rear wheel bearings on an 1800C?  Would appreciate help, aid and assistance on this.  Would like to order bearings on HDL tonight if I find out in time.  Thanks all
Find a steel pipe that is the size of the bearing ring (outside ring of the bearing) that the metal pipe can sit on and then tap it in. Make sure you put back in the spacer!! You can get replacement bearings without going to HDL. When you take out the bearings they have a number on them and Purvis bearing service can match them up with a higher grade bearing. While you have the tire off you can replace the spline bearing to!
www.purvisbearing.com
 Need more info give me a shout!!  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »

I got rear wheel bearings from HDL and they were "All Balls Racing" bearings (that's what they sent) and I've got less than 8000 miles on them and the one's next to my final drive are running rough again. I noticed it 2 weeks aago when I put a new tire on the rear. My next suggestion is to go to a bearing supplier like Purvis or back to OEM, not HLD. Just my $.02
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 07:23:29 PM »

one other thing to do to help install is put the bearings in the freezer overnight. only take them out just before installing them. don't let them warm up if possible. if you can, heat up the area the bearings go into, sometimes it takes minimal effort to get them to seat by using this method. the less pounding the better, one mis-hit and it's new bearings. good luck and ride safe.
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 07:12:42 AM »

Years ago Tapper researched the issue and concluded that many of the bearing failures could be attributed to off-square installation; they apparently need to be pressed in exactly square. I don't recall the specifics , but Tapper generally has the straight dope. Perhaps a search on VTXOA.............
02 1800C

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2009, 08:21:30 AM »

Years ago Tapper researched the issue and concluded that many of the bearing failures could be attributed to off-square installation; they apparently need to be pressed in exactly square. I don't recall the specifics , but Tapper generally has the straight dope. Perhaps a search on VTXOA.............
Tapper's good, but so is Lee. http://www.californiavtxriders.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=33386&hilit=Bad+flange+bearing
Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2009, 10:50:41 AM »

After looking over the California link, I'm sure my FLANGE bearing is shot and not the wheel bearings. Connie has ordered the complete set from HDL, with right and left wheel bearings and TWO flange bearings. But I need to research how to get to the second (inner?) flange bearings. I've got them, I might as well do all four.
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

matap

• Board
  • "Just put that hammer down and give it hell" -J.R.
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2009, 01:42:49 PM »

Wayne needs to replace his rear wheel bearings.  We have been told that it requires a special tool to get the bearings back in.  Is there anyone in the Houston area that has the tool and knowledge on replacing rear wheel bearings on an 1800C?  Would appreciate help, aid and assistance on this.  Would like to order bearings on HDL tonight if I find out in time.  Thanks all

So............just curious, how many miles does Wayne's bike have that he is changing his bearings or better asked what is the mileage estimate on changing these suckers out? 
"Talk low, talk slow and don't talk too much" - John Wayne

Luckys Lover

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • My other addiction
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2009, 02:36:35 PM »

I've got 42,300 when they were spotted. Add another 6-700 before I can get them changed.

Reading the stories, tho, makes you wonder just how soon they do go out. One guy only got 8,000 before they died.

I'm thinking I've got 3 more bearings holding the loads so maybe I can stretch it out until Andrew goes back OVER THERE and use his bike.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:42:19 PM by Luckys Lover »
If stupidity got us into this mess, why can stupidity get us out of it? Will Rogers
I don't care what other people think. They don't do it very often!
Of Course it's dirty. It's hard to clean when the tires keep moving.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »

Mine were grinding somewhere around 25k.  I didn't hear them while riding, but it was pointed out to me when I was getting my tires changed.  Replaced them with aftermarket suggested by the tech (mom and pop shop), but not sure of the brand.
Chunk the llama.

Gumbo

• Board
  • Elvis
  • 06 1800R
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 04:01:28 PM »

Mine were grinding somewhere around 25k.  I didn't hear them while riding, but it was pointed out to me when I was getting my tires changed.  Replaced them with aftermarket suggested by the tech (mom and pop shop), but not sure of the brand.

25k and not seeing the problem  8) or just don't know it's there ;D
\"The moment you taste it, something wet and dark leaps on you and starts humping you like a swamp dog in heat, and the only way to get it off you is to eat it off, It\'s Gumbo!! If you don\'t eat it then the mystery beast will go right on humping you.

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 04:35:49 PM »

Gumbo, you won't know unless you stick your finger inside the wheel and turn the bearing.  You have to check and see if it turns smooth or rough.  Once it gets bad enough it can lock your rear up.  :ohwow:
Chunk the llama.

Txcajun

• Texas X Rider OverLord
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2009, 05:02:21 PM »

Gumbo, you won't know unless you stick your finger inside the wheel and turn the bearing.  You have to check and see if it turns smooth or rough.  Once it gets bad enough it can lock your rear up.  :ohwow:
Gumbo! He said your rear is going to lock up. :ohwow: :ohwow: :what: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Les Coullion Coup d'e'tat peux Embrasse Moi Tchew!              03 1800 retro TRAILER QUEEN EXTRORDINAIRE "SMELL THE BUMPER"

j1mmyj4m

• The Shocker
  • Administrator
  • Deer Park, Tx
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 05:03:27 PM »

:-X :-X :-X
Chunk the llama.
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal