Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Baffles V&H BIG SHOTS  (Read 1716 times)

Dusty

Baffles V&H BIG SHOTS
« on: September 06, 2009, 09:45:03 AM »

I bought some quiet baffles for my Big Shots. Got onE retainer screw out and stripped the head on the other.  :banghead: On the one I got out, I can't get the baffle to move. Any suggestion? I'm real bad about grabbing and snatching and then getting a bigger hammer. Before I destroy my pipes, somebody HELP ME!!!!  :cuss: paleeeeeease!! :popcorn:

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
Re: Baffles V&H BIG SHOTS
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2009, 09:54:51 AM »

Don't ya just love it when chit like that happens???  :stickpoke:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 10:50:11 AM »

Shoot some penetrating oil on it and after a short soak, use a wooden dowel and a hammer to tap it until it moves. Sometimes they take a good bit of working before they come loose. You may have to wedge something into it to rotate it, and you'll probably need to hook it with some heavy wire to pull it out. You're not allowed to have too much fun while you do it, either.
02 1800C

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 02:22:00 PM »

Shoot some penetrating oil on it and after a short soak, use a wooden dowel and a hammer to tap it until it moves. Sometimes they take a good bit of working before they come loose. You may have to wedge something into it to rotate it, and you'll probably need to hook it with some heavy wire to pull it out. You're not allowed to have too much fun while you do it, either.

It get's better......

I have some long handles, offset (jumbo) needle nose pliers. I got them up in there, put a death grip on them and tapped the pliers with a hammer. I don't have the death grip I use to have. Baffle didn't move except for the metal that peeled off when the pliers slid out.
Decided to try something I read.
Crank the bike and the heat will sometimes maybe help them loosen up. So, I got the key, flip the switch, hit the starter button and Nothing. Got lights, fuel pump and horn but no putt putt. So, with no putt putt, I decided I didn't need baffles.
I ate lunch and took 3 hour nap.  :thumbup:

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 09:38:55 PM »

Sounds like you baffles are coming along like my valve adjust.   :redcard:
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

KillerVTX

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »

I used a slide hammer,
I ran a hanger inside the baffle and hooked it to my slide hammer and yanked the baffle out.

Good Luck with it..

Dusty

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 05:12:54 AM »

I used a slide hammer,
I ran a hanger inside the baffle and hooked it to my slide hammer and yanked the baffle out.

Good Luck with it..

Don't own a slide hammer yet but your suggestion is the way I'm leaning. More interested in finding out why my baby won't turn over. I cleaned the starter button thinking that may be it, but it still won't turn over. By the way, if you drop the little 5/32 ball bearing out of the starter button, ACE hardware has them. Don't ask me how I know.  :banghead:

Gonna check the 30A fuse, then the starter connection and if I can find my volt meter I'll check the starter relay. I have had a couple of instances in the past year when I would hit the button and nothing would happen but when I hit it a second time the bike fired right up. That's what made me think it was the starter button. It was running fine when I parked it. Maybe she doesn't want new baffles?  :rofl: :idontknow: :rofl: :idontknow:

Lucky

• Board
  • Elvis
  • Canyon Lake, TX
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 08:28:00 AM »

By the way, if you drop the little 5/32 ball bearing out of the starter button, ACE hardware has them. Don't ask me how I know.  :banghead:

Also, if you drop the ball bearing out along with the little tiny spring that goes along with it...just remember to put the spring back in FIRST!!!!!
"Lucky" Connie
'06 Pearl Dark Blue 1300C
If you don't love what you're doing, then don't do it.
Your chances of success are directly proportional to the degree of pleasure you derive from what you do.

Dusty

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 06:12:16 PM »

By the way, if you drop the little 5/32 ball bearing out of the starter button, ACE hardware has them. Don't ask me how I know.  :banghead:

Also, if you drop the ball bearing out along with the little tiny spring that goes along with it...just remember to put the spring back in FIRST!!!!!

Luckyly the spring stayed but the bearing is orbiting Mars I'm pretty sure.

KCAMERON007

• Old Timer
  • 2006 1300S
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 06:52:10 PM »

dang...I thought it was just me....this stuff happens to other people too !   :t
KC     Kenny 
VTX-1300S

Ride hard, or stay home !!
(Peter Fonda, in "The Wild Hogs")

hooter

• Master of Monumental Proportions
  • Itasca (just North of Hillsboro on sceanic I-35W)
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 06:56:06 PM »

dang...I thought it was just me....this stuff happens to other people too !   :t

Well let me say this about that ---- no I won't, I'm just happy Murphy's Law applys to somebody else besides me!!  :cuss: :cuss: :c :ohwow:
What I do today is very important because
I traded a day of my life for it.

Whatever you want to do, do it now.
  There are only so many tomorrows.

RocknRoll

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Kingwood, TX
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2009, 08:56:02 AM »

Well let me say this about that ---- no I won't, I'm just happy Murphy's Law applys to somebody else besides me!!  :cuss: :cuss: :c :ohwow:

Murphy was an optimist!!
Wanna make God laugh?  -  Tell him your plans!

Wanna make God angry?  -  Treat Him with indifference!

Dusty

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2009, 05:39:39 PM »

Hallelujah, I got them bad boys out. They soaked in penetrating oil for a week and after trying everything that was suggested, I finally got a piece of 3/8" all thread, screwed a 3/8" toggle wing nut on the ends of it and shoved the toggle nut up in the baffle. When I tried to pull it back, it dug in liked I hoped it would. Then I clamped the vise-grips on the free end of the
al-thread and commenced to tapping on the vise grips. The baffle moved with every tap and eventually came on out. The top one was the hardest to get out and I had to beat the new one back in. The bottom slid most of the way in and I only had to tap it a little to get it in. Don't think I will be changing those again.   :no no: I was expecting to find the wrap burnt up or gone but most of it was still on the old baffles. So, I basically went through all that for nothing. But of course I won't know until I get the bike running.  :banghead:

I've decided that my problem with the bike not starting is that the starter relay is bad. It clicks when I turn on the kill switch, but it doesn't click again when I hit the starter button. The way I read the manual, it should click. I jumped across the two main terminals on the relay and it turned the starter over so a roll of the dice said it's the relay and not the starter button. Besides, the relay is cheaper. I'll be riding next weekend or I won't.  :c

hobo

• Board
  • Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Cedar Creek Lake
    • westcherry.com
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2009, 09:20:47 AM »

I've decided that my problem with the bike not starting is that the starter relay is bad. It clicks when I turn on the kill switch, but it doesn't click again when I hit the starter button. The way I read the manual, it should click. I jumped across the two main terminals on the relay and it turned the starter over so a roll of the dice said it's the relay and not the starter button. Besides, the relay is cheaper. I'll be riding next weekend or I won't.  :c

I hate the sound of that "click". I've been through 2 relays in 75K miles. Snake suggested a relay from a tractor, but the boys around here would more than likely take exception to me stealin' their parts. Especially if they are planning a trip to the likker store.  :angryno:

Keep a spare... :bikerider:
My 2003 1800C lives at the shores of Cedar Creek Lake in Mabank, Texas
Don't make me get nekkid!... Smell The Bumper... I got my cookies!

Dusty

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2009, 04:08:25 AM »

I hate the sound of that "click". I've been through 2 relays in 75K miles. Snake suggested a relay from a tractor, but the boys around here would more than likely take exception to me stealin' their parts. Especially if they are planning a trip to the likker store.  :angryno:

Keep a spare... :bikerider:

I hit a few auto parts stores trying to find an equal but didn't have much luck. Mainly because they didn't want to really search. One guy assured me he could find one but it wouldn't be that small. Cost....$14.00.  I wish I had thought about a lawnmower shop before I ordered from Honda. I'll be looking for a spare and an alternate source.  :thumbup:

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal