Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is this sound normal  (Read 2204 times)

grapeape

• Old Timer
  • Big Blurple Monkey with a Darkside!
Is this sound normal
« on: August 31, 2009, 09:32:52 AM »

OK, here it is....2003 1800R 23k miles with Vance & Hines pipes, PCIII USB & K&N airfilter in stock airbox has not been de-smogged. I have assumed since purchase of the bike that the following sound I will attempt to describe normal but now I am wondering if others with similar equipment have experienced.

In any gear (but typically at slower speeds/lower gears) I can hold the throttle in a narrow range between accel and decel and produce a sort of "blatty" sound (think "blat-blat-blat-blat"). Some might also describe as "pop-pop-pop" but it is not what I understand as decel popping like some bikes do when downshifting / engine braking. My bike does not pop when engine braking. When the trottle is held at the "blatty" point the slightest movement of the grip in either direction and the blat goes away. I went for about an hour long, slow speed, first & second gear ride thru a large subdivision yesterday and noticed that the blatty sound much, much more than when riding open road.

I don't have any concerns with the performance. The Grape Ape runs like a raped ape :bikerider:

This sound jus has me wondering......rich, lean, mapping change, normal/just ignore, etc.
The is no upside in messin' with things you don't understand.

2003 VTX1800R, Goodyear Triple Tread 205/60R/16, V&H Big Shots, PCIII

hipshot

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • New Caney, TX
Re: Is this sound normal
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 10:19:18 AM »

Sounds are impossible to evaluate over the interweb. Gotta hear it in person.
02 1800C

grapeape

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:02:17 AM »

Agreed and thanks for the reply.

I just thought I would be able to describe in enough detail that someone might recognise it and if alot of people have, it would confirm my assumption that it is proley normal. If it is just my bike, I would expect to find that no one remotely understands what I am talking about and would compell me to search further.

It is definately an exhaust sound coming thru the pipes at that fine line between acel and decel kind of like

<<<<<Hummmmmmmmmmm (then)  -  blat-blat-blat  (then) HUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM/ROAR/GROWL>>>>>> oh my gosh slow down. :ohwow:

Dusty

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:08:51 PM »

The beast was built to run. Ride it like you stole it and don't worry. The sound will change in a month or so and you will be thinking....what's wrong now. There is nothing wrong. They are like women...they make noise and if you notice it, they will change.  :couch:

TEXVTXER

• Old Timer
  • 2006 VTX1300 R in Black...the fastest color!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 06:22:44 PM »

I have the same sound as I'm leaving the neighborhood...as you can see my ride is an 06 1300R with Jardine 2 into 1 into 2 drag pipes...no mod to carb or air cleaner.  It occurs whether hot or cold....as noted, just ride it like it was meant to be ridden and enjoy!!!
TEXVTXER
Patriot Guard Rider

2006 VTX1300R: Cobra fatty highway bars and light bar, MF 21" WS, Kury ISO Grips w/Throttle Boss and Longhorn Hwy. pegs, Cobra sissy bar w/luggage rack, Ultimate X Big Boy w/Ultimate Pssgr. Seat, Leatherlyke Bags, Kury Ultra Tour Bag.

RedDragon

• Master of Monumental Proportions
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 06:32:14 PM »

2005 VTX 1800C Red Tribal Flame
2005 Yamaha FZ1 Silver

POGOGOLF

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • Jeff in GA - '02 1800 C
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 06:58:36 PM »

Ride Safe!! Jeff in GA <>< I believe in Easter
'02 1800 C model - 57,000 miles and climbing

grapeape

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 09:36:56 PM »

Cool.

I wasn't really ever worried. Especially since the bike runs so good. More curious than worried for sure. I do enjoy trying to understand whats going on "tween me legs" when I am stradling the beast. Part of my nature I guess. They say "inquiring minds want to know". For example I have hooked up my laptop to the PCIII and explored (but not changed) the mapping. For me just knowing is part of the fun of ownership.

By the way and for what its worth....... I love the Firestone Triple Tread P205/60R/16 that I put on the back a little over 1100 miles ago. Been to Austin and back on both wet and dry pavement and have done several runs both solo and 2 up on the curvy parts of Hwy 149 north of Montgomery, TX thru the Sam Houston National Forest. In my opinion, it hooks up and feels better than the Dunlop that caught a nail in the sidewall at a fairy young age. Yes I confess, the big blurple monkey does have a bit of a dark side.

Thanks to all for the comments.

Marc

KCAMERON007

• Old Timer
  • 2006 1300S
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 05:55:26 PM »

I have a 1300S with V&H pipes and does the exact same sound, mainly when starting out just warming up....I leave the house, get a steady 30 mph, and pop-pop-pop....i think it sounds cool myself...I thought it was because I pulled the baffles and wrappped them with fiberglass wrap...
KC     Kenny 
VTX-1300S

Ride hard, or stay home !!
(Peter Fonda, in "The Wild Hogs")

grapeape

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 10:14:48 PM »

Yeah, the sound is pretty cool. It draws lots of attention too.

Funny story (IMO).....bare with me its a little long.

My GF and i picked up the bike on a Friday pm. Next morning headed west from Montgomery, TX to destinations unknown with only bathing suits and beach towels in the bags. First day on our first bike capable of hauling us 2 up out for a full day of riding. Weather was hot as the hinges on the gates of Hell so when we left the house, the extent of our plans was to find somewhere to take a dip and freshen up just before we burst into flames. We ended up in Bastrop for lunch and asked the waitress for a swimming hole recommendation. She said the State Park lake was hot a muddy so the best thing if we were heading that way (we weren't but could) go to this privately owned campground/spring fed/$5 per head swimming hole on the other side of Austin heading towards Marble Falls. I can't remember the name of the place but i could take you back there. We went and it was perfect but now we are in Hill Country not ready to go home and it is getting late so............what the heck. Let's get a room in Marble Falls. Next day got up and meandered up thru Llano, back past Enchanted Rocks to Fredricksburg and since we have never had before we said, "Let's go to Lukenbach, TX"

Well all of you 1300 guys may not understand this  :stickpoke: :stickpoke: :pot: :pot: but the Ape is quite a handful of heavy metal especially for someone with only the previous day riding 2 up on any bike much less this monster  (argh, argh, argh). To top it off, it felt like every black leather and dewrag wearing eyeball was watching....err evaluating this big blurple colored arrival. The pressure is on. DON'T screw this up. That sound (BLAT-BLAT-BLAT-BLAT) is drawing way too much attention and ain't making it any easier. Then, the freaking asphalt ends and the pea gravel parking lot begins and it is a sea of chrome and custom goodies with a narrow orange cone path thru the middle. GREAT, this is where we are going to die in a firey crash trying to negotiate thru a slow speed u-turn driving on what feels like well oiled marbles. They didn't cover this in my motorcycle safety course. But all went well and my confidence soared until..................after the pulled pork sandwich and a cold Miller High Life and it is time to climb back on the beast and ride on out of there. The Good Lord was looking out for us cause as we walked thru the the rows of bikes out to ours so did a large group that were parked directly in front of us. When I noticed this, I told the GF to take her time with the helmet and let them get out of the way so we could have a straight shot back to the asphalt :good: On the way out, the BLAT-BLAT-BLAT sound was so cool I couldn't help a little extra rev between 1st and 2nd just to make sure every one noticed. It was even worth the sharp jab to the ribs the GF gave me.

grapeape

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 10:40:27 AM »

For what it is worth....................The sound is gone. I removed the secondary air system and desmoged it using Biglry block off plates and remapped the PCIII with a map that Johnny Cheese built for a similar bike, pipe, intake, sparkplug combo on his dyno. The blat, blat, blat sound is completely gone even when cold.

I can tell that it is a Johnny Cheese map because it screams for 1/4 mile then shuts down  :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I am interested in seeing what my mpg does. I was only getting about 30-32 mpg riding 2 up with the old map.

beaux43

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • "Punxher"
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 12:59:42 PM »

BOTTOM LINE!   Don't ride with the throttle in the position to cause the "blat".

Ride it WAO!   :bikerider:   :c
'03 1800R
'08 GL1800 GoldWing

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally wornout, shouting..."What a Ride!"

grapeape

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 03:03:47 PM »

BOTTOM LINE!   Don't ride with the throttle in the position to cause the "blat".

Ride it WAO!   :bikerider:   :c

:agree: but WAO causes a TFF (too freaking fast) situation  :ohwow:

I am just happy to find that the mods and tweeks fixed the "blat". At first it was kinda cool sounding but got real annoying after a while.Now I can't make it sound like that anymore.

concreteman

• Trailer Queen
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 04:58:32 PM »

synchronization of the throttle body should make it go away and run smooth and pick up mileage also

Dusty

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2009, 06:02:57 PM »

synchronization of the throttle body should make it go away and run smooth and pick up mileage also

How is that done? Do you mean like a dual map?
Pages: [1] 2

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal