Texas X Riders

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why did you buy a VTX?  (Read 4683 times)

sgtstever

• Master Tejano Rider
  • BOHICA
Why did you buy a VTX?
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:52:01 AM »

Get asked this question alot, "why a VTX?".  Several reasons for me, I came off of crotch rockets and wanted a cruiser.  While in Iraq, I new I was going to buy a new bike when I got home, (gotta love combat pay!), I seen the VTX in magazines while looking for what I wanted.  Always have thought that it is a real sharp looking bike.  When I got home, I went to the Honda stealer and fell in love instantly.  I was gonna check out the Road Star's, but never made it that far.  Anyhow, what were some of your reasons for buying the VTX?

Just curious...
"Si vis pacem, para bellum"

SouthernXer

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • BRAD Allen, Texas
    • Me playing music
Re: Why did you buy a VTX?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:12:43 AM »

My story is much like yours....  I had the insurance company kindly buy back a Yamaha R1 from me after a small incident and $80,000.00 later.  :o  I knew I was going to get back on a bike but didn't know which one I wanted but it was definitley going to be a cruiser.  I good friend of mine from N. Shreveport drove his 02 1800C to my house one day and let me take it for a spin.  I knew then that I had to have one.....  Shopped around and got a decent price back when they first came out.  Decided to pull the trigger and walked out with one.  Four years later this month, God only knows how much money I have dumped into it, I made the last payment and she is all mine. 

Great choice of bike, BTW!   O0

iluvink

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:19:30 AM »

For me, it was pure love at first sight.  I went to visit my friend who was a salesman at the Honda shop, one fateful Saturday.  As a matter of fact, I was riding the Shadow he had sold me.  Wasn't in the market to buy, at all.  Just stopped in to say 'hi'.  That's when I saw my X, with the Beetle Bags, highway bar and light bar, and just had to have it.  Traded my Shadow in on the spot, and have never looked back.  Did do a test ride on an X, just to have the feel of one before I saddled mine, but that was while they were putting on the front shield and doing the make-ready.  No research, just purely an impulse buy.  Walked in at about noon on that Saturday riding a Shadow, and left just before closing, with my new X.  

It was a Honda, and I trusted my friend not to sell me something that I couldn't trust.   He liked the 1300 Retros too.

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Tarkington Prairie (45 miles ne of houston)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 09:28:22 AM »

i was sitting around with my dad one day.  he just decided he wanted to havea goldwing again.  even though my aunt and uncle had just bought a pair of em, he wanted me to have a bike too so hed have someone to ride with.  for about the year and a half before id been wanting to get a shadow aero.  the first stealer we went to only had the orange and black one, and none of the ones we went to had any of the 05 models that had the blue/black that i wanted.  while at the first place i saw the 1300 blue r.  to me, it was like the bigger, better aero.  so thats what i went for.

Crewsn

• Texas X Rider OverLord
  • leander(austin), texas
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 11:09:53 AM »

when i decided to get back into riding i did alot of research on just about every cruiser out there. read tons of reviews, visited several other forums and asked alot of questions. after a few months of this it became clear that honda was definitely at the top of the list as far reliability and maintenence costs were concerned. the looks were good and the price was right, the rest is history. ride safe. 
03 1800 C, airbox mod, K&N filter, roadhouse shorty.

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »

Grab some poped corn and a Dr. Pepper.

I guess it was june of 01 my garage burned down and my bike was in it. I had a 86 VFR interceptor 750 that I paid 1000 dollars for on layway from fat annies cycles. After it blew up, the ins. company gave me $4000. Made off like a bandit on that deal.  Anyway, I took that money along with procceds from my prelude and bought a car.

5 years later my car was paid off, and I had no desire to get a new one.  As of yet, I still only have 113 thousand miles on it...I figure its good for another 5 years.  Since my loss, I'd been shopping for another bike.  My intent was to get another vfr, then I looked at the cbr 1000 and wanted that one. Money was right and they had my color...

Enter the wife, "Get a crusier!....you don't need a crotch rocket, they're too fast, they look uncomfortable and your going to get us both killed!!!"  I replied, "I want a crotch rocket, and was going to get what I want, when I want.

So I'm looking at cruisers now. Of course I want the fat tire, 21" in the front, lots of chrome, low seat, high trees, 44 degree rake, etc.  I found what I was looking for a  few custom shops and even for a few kits that I could build.(Which I really considered).  Got to thinking about it though and decided I wanted something proven and time tested.  I'd remember seeing victory motorcycles on tv, possibly sema coverage or something.  I walk into one of thier shops and sat on a hammer. It was comfortable and it looked good.  I didn't like the rear fender though.  it was a straight cut vs. a contoured cut to match the rim.  so I passed on it.

Last year right after sturgis, my brother told me about Al's fuel line problem.  I think he has a f model from the first year they had external fuel pumps.Anyway, I still wanted to see what honda had to offer in the way of cruisers figuring that his problem was probably and isolated case.  I'd been in and out of cycle shack a few times before I saw the one I wanted.   I looked at some of the other x's and I didn't like the styling.  Especially the pointed fenders.

The one that caught my eye looked like a perttyed up, post WWII army bike on steroids.  I liked the 1940 caddy style tail lights that were frenched into the fender.  Color was bright metalic blue on black, with lots of chrome.  It had fenders that seemed to go forever, big comfy seat, floor boards that would fit a size 12 1/2 boot, and an engine that could get me where I wanted to go, quick, fast and in a hurry.  You guessed it, a Neo.

*Closet Darksider*

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 12:30:46 PM »

Grab some poped corn and a Dr. Pepper.

I guess it was june of 01 my garage burned down and my bike was in it. I had a 86 VFR interceptor 750 that I paid 1000 dollars for on layway from fat annies cycles. After it blew up, the ins. company gave me $4000. Made off like a bandit on that deal.  Anyway, I took that money along with procceds from my prelude and bought a car.

5 years later my car was paid off, and I had no desire to get a new one.  As of yet, I still only have 113 thousand miles on it...I figure its good for another 5 years.  Since my loss, I'd been shopping for another bike.  My intent was to get another vfr, then I looked at the cbr 1000 and wanted that one. Money was right and they had my color...

Enter the wife, "Get a crusier!....you don't need a crotch rocket, they're too fast, they look uncomfortable and your going to get us both killed!!!"  I replied, "I want a crotch rocket, and was going to get what I want, when I want.

So I'm looking at cruisers now. Of course I want the fat tire, 21" in the front, lots of chrome, low seat, high trees, 44 degree rake, etc.  I found what I was looking for a  few custom shops and even for a few kits that I could build.(Which I really considered).  Got to thinking about it though and decided I wanted something proven and time tested.  I'd remember seeing victory motorcycles on tv, possibly sema coverage or something.  I walk into one of thier shops and sat on a hammer. It was comfortable and it looked good.  I didn't like the rear fender though.  it was a straight cut vs. a contoured cut to match the rim.  so I passed on it.

Last year right after sturgis, my brother told me about Al's fuel line problem.  I think he has a f model from the first year they had external fuel pumps.Anyway, I still wanted to see what honda had to offer in the way of cruisers figuring that his problem was probably and isolated case.  I'd been in and out of cycle shack a few times before I saw the one I wanted.   I looked at some of the other x's and I didn't like the styling.  Especially the pointed fenders.

The one that caught my eye looked like a perttyed up, post WWII army bike on steroids.  I liked the 1940 caddy style tail lights that were frenched into the fender.  Color was bright metalic blue on black, with lots of chrome.  It had fenders that seemed to go forever, big comfy seat, floor boards that would fit a size 12 1/2 boot, and an engine that could get me where I wanted to go, quick, fast and in a hurry.  You guessed it, a Neo.

thanks for the warning, was sure to take a bathroom break first..... :P

twistedrcpilot

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Montgomery Tx. /Lake Conroe TX
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 01:20:51 PM »

I figured you on being asleep anyway.....

*Closet Darksider*

Blueflameguy2

• Master Tejano Rider
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 01:23:58 PM »

I figured you on being asleep anyway.....

awwwwwwww HARSH!!

i apologized about that.....  actually ive ben up since yesterday.... :D

rod181

• Master Tejano Rider
  • Dallas, TX
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 02:18:54 PM »

Well My story is ssort of short. I had just moved to Dallas and I was riding an 05 Shadow Aero. I had only been riding for about a year in my entire life. I had put about 8000 miles on that aero, I sure did love her lol. Well on V- day i broke with my GF I was at home enjoying some rum and a good cigar. Alone and bored i started looking on line at bikes just fun. I went to Honda sight and remembered that i saw a really cool looking bike once with the fender going all the way down and led stopping lights i looked it up and i knew i had to have it. for the next couple of weeks i delt with some stealers and finaly decided on  blue one had all the goodies put on and cant stop riding since then i already have 4000 miles on its since Feb. And love it all the way plus i did get up to 140 so that was fun too. lol  O0
WORK HARD!!! PARTY HARD!!!!

quietguy

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »

I managed to get a 105 miles in this morning before the heat hit critical mass.. just grabbed a road and followed the headlight.  Stopped for water and had 3 people examining my Neo.  Just a nice feeling.  I've jumped around since coming back to two wheels in late March, after my 04 bike wreck.

Started with a Burgman 650, got the Shadow Spirit VT1100 and had carb issues.  Got upset with the coughing and gagging business and made the mistake of test riding an F.   Wanted that F real bad.. till I saw the Neo.   Asked my girlfriend for permission, she said "no", and I ordered it..  :-*

(by the way... I now have all of 408 miles on her.)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:23:43 PM by quietguy »

bigbird99

• Tejano
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 02:52:18 PM »

I built the dealership in Grapevine DFW HONDA .And bought a 750 shadow road foR about a year and found out it was not big enough. Got on a vtx 1800 c for the forst time and was blown away. Second gear was all it took to sell me. Have been ridding every day . I am own my second vtx 1800. The best  on the market. I have been to the rot ralley and the lone star ralley in Galveston.I am looking foward to rideing down to my third lone star ralley this year. Hope to see all the other X down there. O0 O0 ;D
BENNIE
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 02:54:40 PM by bigbird99 »
new big dog chopper  S&S 107 V&H pipes 250 REAR MORE CHROME THAN YOU WOUNT TO POLISH

Chad

• Board
  • Elvis
  • M G, TX.
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 03:47:48 PM »

My story is alot longer than twistedrcpilots!!
  So get alot of popcorn and a cool drink!!
  I had been riding a 96 VT1100 spirit for about 2 years I had bought off of E bay in Memphis, Tenn. and I decided I needed something a little bigger. I guess the reason I didn't go a VTX 1st was it had been a while since I had a bike and wanted to start out at the 1000cc range. Had a 1979 Honda Goldwing 1000!! ( wish I still had her) So looked on  E bay a while and found the bike a guy had but couldn't sell her for what he wanted. I had e mailed him at least 3 times and even called and talked to him about the bike. So he told me if I would buy the bike for a real good price I might add I could have the bike!!  The real kicker is that the bike was in New Hampshire!!  LOL Yep!! I thought about flying up there and riding it back but this was in April and the weather was still a little bit uncertain. I had told my Mom about the bike and she had told my Dad and he got on the phone with me and said hey lets drive up there and get it!! So my Dad and I drove straight throught to Nashua, NH and got the bike!! I remember my eyes were big as the wheels. I found my bike!! THANKS DAD!!  I MISS YOU!!  

Ok it wasn't as long as his!!  I made it the short version.  ;D
Member since 2004
RIP Torque Dec.18,1975-Apr.29,2009

mandotheman

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 04:01:10 PM »

My story starts like this ....................
In a land far far away, there live a princess.............oh wrong story.
My wife and I were eating breakfast on a Saturday morning, we both said lets go by a bike. So we went to Mancuso Harley Davidson, and found a bike we both liked. ( dyna lowrider) . The price they were asking for was ridiculus, I tried to lower the price, but anyone who has ever shopped at Mancuso will tell you that they dont budge and they overprice all the bikes. The salesman and the manager were both jerks, ok A##HOLES.
Thanks to them I went to Northwest Honda, I never seen a VTX before, I saw, sat on it and took it home that day. I get so many compliments on my VTX that I'm glad I bought it.  O0

txpopeye

• Old Timer
    • Pork Chop Run Blog
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 04:23:18 PM »

To be honest it was not my first choice.

I actualy wanted the Warrior but after sitting on one a bit it just didnt seem that it would be comfy on a long trip and the cheapest one I could find was about 8k. My dad got a new 1300 R and I rode it like it a lot but didt like the style too much then found the 1300c price was right 6k(with 4k miles on it) and I liked the orange color. However I think if I get another bike it will likely be a road star 1600 I just love the way that bike looks especialy the engine.
It never stops hurting you just stop caring
Pages: [1] 2 3

SimplePortal 2.3.3 © 2008-2010, SimplePortal